SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print

This is inspired by the âÂÂQuick beef tenderloin prep?â thread, the Microwave thread, and my own insanity. :-)

Can you (and will you) cook expensive beef filet mignon in the microwave? And how do you make a âÂÂperfectâ medium rare filet mignon fast from frozen solid?

I have been mostly cooking meat with the sous vide cooker, so I have to give it a little figuring out how to do this. With my understanding of the microwave oven technology and heat conductivity of meat, I basically set the frozen beef to cook at the lowest power for 10 seconds, wait 10 seconds, flip the meat over and cook another 10 seconds. I repeated this many times, until the meat is completely thawed. I continue to cook the meat at the same pace but with a little higher power setting and continually change the position of the meat pieces to even out temperature distribution. At some point the meat was getting hot, and then I started to measure the internal temperature with a probe.

I stopped the heating when the temperature reached to 125F. I seasoned the beef with salt and pepper and let them rest for about 15 minutes. Then I seared the beef at beyond-smoking-hot cast iron skillet. As you can see, this resulted with the meat uniformly medium rare tender edge-to-edge, with a nice crust all around.

I made this a Surf & Turf dish. Salmon smoked at precisely 125F, succulent and tender.

Couple more things to share with you:

The filet mignon was frozen with free vegetable plastic bags for 8 months with no visible freezer burns. No need for expensive Foodsaver bags.

It helped me a lot to have a gas stove. The cast iron skillet was hot all the way up the edge, which permitted me to sear the bottom as well as the vertical sides of the meat at the same time, cutting the searing time in half and minimized overcooking.

dcarch

Comments (12)