Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Retro Recipes Redux (Another Chicken Marbella Reference)

Posted by johnliu (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 27, 14 at 23:11

Interesting. There are three Chicken Marbella threads going on at once.

Not bad for a dish that had its 15 minutes of fame 30 years ago. Must be something in the air, or is this retro recipe making a comeback, like Vuarnet sunglasses, high waisted Calvins, and Remington Steele?

Are there other retro recipes you are seeing make comebacks lately? Any you want to see make comebacks? I'm thinking flambes are the next big thing.

(No disrespect to Chicken Marbella. I've made it 2X in the past month. Yummy and easy.)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Retro Recipes Redux (Another Chicken Marbella Reference)

Flambes were the next big thing three minutes ago. :) No, wait! It was flaming shishkebob that had a brief renewal in the sun. But speaking of, Crepes Suzette, Baked Alaska, and even Rumaki have been resurrected from the top of the 1960's swoon list and aren't quite over yet. :) Not that Rumaki is served flambe, but it could be. :) Or did you already discuss those?

o

Not sure if this qualifies as "retro"

In reading about Thomas Jefferson and his recipes and cooking, I came across this interesting video of stuffed cabbage.

Interesting because it is the same concept as a stuffed cabbage which I came up with some time ago and had posted here on the CF.

My method was less clumsy because I used my sous vide cooker to cook the cabbage without having to dip in boiling water again and again.

There is also the recipe for Jefferson's stuffed cabbage.

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Jefferson's Stuffed cabbage

o

Pretty! Dcarch, that's a gorgeous dish! It would be easier in the steam oven, I think, but it would be magnificent on a buffet. Rich, though. And I think cutting down the fat would make it crumble.

o

I predict rice crispie treats, but now with gourmet add-ins.

o

I've been making Rumaki in my 1949 stove for a few years now and it's always a huge hit -- especially when pulled piping hot out of the Grillevator. I grew up with my mom making them in the 60's on -- wait for it! -- her hibachi grill, but there are a whole heap of younger folks to whom retro is brand new.

Went to a formal dinner a few months ago and they pulled out Marbella, which caused an audible stir.

We've also been using our electric Raclette grill for dinners lately, especially when kids are involved; more sanitary than fondue but still has that '70s eat-in/love-in vibe.

Paraphrasing Bertolt Brecht: there is nothing new under the broiler.

o

DS2--now 28 years old--looooves hibachis!

o

Hibachi, haha. That was my first grill. The box was a cheap smoosh of cardboard. Had to be assembled. Stunk of motor oil, smeared all over to prevent rusting...haha

We were just talking of the first dishes we made for each other. DH made TroutAlmandine, NewOrleans style using catfish. I made BeefBurgundy. I also made shish ka-bob that, looking back, was awful. I marinated waaay to long thinking that would be better but it was very strong and so much acid and red wine that it cooked everything before grilling like ceviche. yuck. lol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here