SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nanabeth

Flours 101...

lizbeth-gardener
10 years ago

I am starting a new thread from the banana bread thread to quit hi-jacking and ask more flour questions. This is mainly to ask Grainlady more questions, but feel free to chime in if you want.

Grainlady: I have trouble sifting through your vast amount of knowledge about flour. Can you tell me in bulleted lines ( I need simple) which type of flour is good for what? I have no desire at this point in my life to start milling flour or adjusting by adding or subtracting if I can just buy the correct flour for the item I'm baking.

My baking consists mostly of pies, cakes, cookies, quick breads, yeast breads and dinner rolls.

In one paragraph you said KA could be used for yeast breads, cream puffs, puff pastry and pizza and then later that it is really only optimal for dinner rolls.

You talk about hard and soft wheat. I know you have mentioned different brands/types of flour being good for baking certain items because it is milled from wheat that is soft, hard or a combo. Does the flour indicate on the package if it is hard or soft or do I need to educate myself on the different wheat varieties and which category they belong?

Most recipes just call for flour, not the type. I'm guessing from your judging experience, many people also aren't aware of the differences in flour types. Can you enlighten me? Or is there a book that would answer my questions?

Comments (2)