Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need a vegan meatloaf binder

Posted by ynnej (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 8, 12 at 22:57

Any tips? I've tried flax eggs, avocado, and mashed potatoes- so far nothing holds together as well as eggs. Eggs are kind of like pink slime to me- they taste delicious but the thought of them isn't so appealing to me.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need a vegan meatloaf binder

What's in your meatloaf?

o

Well, I guess it's a wheatloaf? Haha. Wheatberries that have been cooked and blitzed in the food processor, mushrooms, bell pepper, onions, garlic, breadcrumbs, and lots of seasoning. I also tried a beetloaf (same method but with beets) but I like the wheatloaf better.

o

Have you tried soaking your bread in some kind of milk alternative? That would alter the starch and add moisture.

Other binders:

-2 T. cornstarch = 1 egg
-2 T. arrowroot flour = 1 egg
-2 T. potato starch = 1 egg
-1 heaping T. soy powder + 2 T. water = 1 egg
-1 T. soy milk powder + 1 T. cornstarch + 2 T. water = 1 egg

-Grainlady

o

What about a chia seed slurry? I've used them to sub eggs in baking.

Here is a link that might be useful: Baking with chia

o

How about Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer. I know a couple of people who use it in vegetarian cooking and think it works fine in baking. Here's the info:

Here is a link that might be useful: Bob's Red Mill Egg Replacer

o

It seems that the meatloaf is pretty moist, so I don't know if soaking would help. But I do like the cornstarch idea- particularly because I have it on hand :) Wonder if I could add it to the flax egg? Double my egg replacement power? I am intrigued by the chia slurry idea, but alas, those are nowhere to be found in our little town. I will have to add that to my big shopping list for next month when we can make it to the city. I haven't tried Bob's red mill egg replacer- I'm a little scared of commercial egg replacers after having tried EnerG. But I suppose it's worth a try. Thank you.

o

I don't care for commercial egg replacers because they are commonly made with soy and I tend to avoid soy "foods" as much as possible. Soy flour is another common egg substitute if you happen to have some.

Chia seeds will look like large poppy seeds in whatever you add them to, so that's something to consider when using them. I keep a small quantity of white chia seeds on hand, which are easier to disguise in baked goods than the dark ones.

I just ordered 5-pounds (Nuts Online - nuts.com), which is a L-O-T of chia seeds - you would probably want only a pound of them to start with. They are so good for you I add them to everything possible (dry seeds, milled into flour or "gel"/"slurry" - which is chia seeds + water (in a ratio you like for the use) and sit it in the refrigerator. I keep a jar of chia gel in the refrigerator at all times.

When we work-out or work outdoors, we add chia gel to our water/beverage (whey lemonade is a favorite thirst quencher, or coconut water) and the chia seeds will help keep you hydrated longer.

I add chia gel to my breads. Not only is it a nutrition and fiber boost, it aids in keeping my homemade breads fresh longer (I also add coconut oil and agave nectar as the trinity of "secret" ingredients for bread - keeps bread fresher longer and helps prevent the bread from molding).

If I could only grab one food item in an emergency, I would take chia seeds - that's how powerful they are - one of those real super-foods. Check you local library for a copy of "The Magic of Chia" by James F. Scheer for more information about chia seeds.

-Grainlady

o

Thanks, Grainlady. Will do!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here