Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recipe if you're bold :-)

Posted by gnappi (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 22:51

I've been a member of GW for several years now but mostly I am found in the tropical fruits forum. I always browse the other forums but decided spend more time here.

This recipe is similar to the Asian dish "Lemon Chicken" with a more flavorful twist.

Last night I "genned" up a recipe using carambola (starfruit) which I have a "LOT" of much of the year. It's a chicken curry / carambola sandwich or rice drench deal.

Note: store bought Carambola are notoriously horrid tasting so getting tree ripened specimens at a farmer's market or from a neighbor is best.

Ingredients: (for 1 expand as needed)

3 chicken thighs with skin and meat removed and diced into bite size cubes.

1 large or 2 medium sized RIPE carambola blended into a soupy liquid (strain or not as desired, I did NOT strain it)

Butter

Curry powder 1 TBSP (OK to leave out if you don't like curry)

Water (not much 1/4 cup to none depending on juicyness of the Carambola)

1/2 to 1 cup of Sugar (less if you don't use sugar and the whole cup if you like a sweeter taste.)

Soy sauce (1 Tbsp more or less to taste)

Braze the dark meat in a frying pan with the butter and when mostly cooked add the carambola, curry, sugar and Soy sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.

You can pour it over rice or onto a hoagie roll, I did both last night it was very satisfying.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recipe if you're bold :-)

Sounds good. I think I would prefer it over rice.

~Ann

o

I always eye star fruit at the market... Now I guess I know not to buy it? Oh well.

Welcome to CF. There are other tropical growers here.

o

Welcome to the cooking forum.

I'd like to try your recipe, I'm always looking for new ways to dress up chicken, but I have never seen star fruit at the farm stands here and few in the regular grocery stores. I assume it doesn't grow in Northern California or it doesn't have a market in my area. I'll take a look at the Asian markets. I might find it there.

Thanks!

Eileen

o

Welcome to the CF gnappy!

Teresa

o

Welcome, gnappi! Your recipe sounds really good and I think I might have to try it if I can find some ripe starfruit. I've seen them in our local groceries, but not all the time.

o

Hi, waving to you from the CF.

I always look at the carambola display at Publix but pass by because I don't know what to do with them.

Thanks.

o

Hi Gnappi
Welcome to the cooking forum! I also grow starfruit and I agree with you about the store bought ones. Some fruits you can really taste the difference with the home grown ones.
Your recipe is bold! I was thinking to make chicken with loquat sauce, maybe?. My neighbor also grows a star fruit and yesterday he surprised me with a carambola pie and it was very well done, he said he used a recipe for apple pie. Someday I may try to make carambola wine...

I did some harvest for lunch today, baby potatoes, cauliflower, peas, herbs and frozen tomatoes from the garden and made a curry, I just love homegrown produce!

photo March2013_013_zps9badeee5.jpg

Silvia

o

Cathy - I just slice them and eat them. They are fantastic. I bet your grandkids would love them just for the fun shape once they are sliced.

I've been buying them here in Minnesota for 35 years. Thye taste great as long as they are ripe. And when I was a flight attendant I would visit a friend in Florida who grew them. She always gave me a box of them to take home.

Teresa

o

Thanks for the comments:

"I always eye star fruit at the market... Now I guess I know not to buy it? Oh well. "

"I always look at the carambola display at Publix but pass by because I don't know what to do with them. "

Carambola turn yellow in the market they do NOT ripen like a mango, that means little or no sugar content lift. Tree ripened carambola are my fave fruit. Store bought carambola are bitter and not juicy I too wouldn't know what to do with one!

"I was thinking to make chicken with loquat sauce, maybe?"

Hmm.. My baby loquat only gives me a dozen or so fruits but I have a good source for them. They make a great addition to mixed fruit juices. Right now I'm saving wine bottles to do just what you said, make wine. My Italian ancestors (all of them made wine right up to my Dad) will roll in their graves :-)

I pick my Carambola when they start to develop what I call "age spots" a light tan discoloration on the skin and they are at the peak of sugar and water content. I give them a little tug and if they come off it's off to the carambola slaughterhouse :-(

I use them sliced and eaten, juiced, as a garnish, cooking where most fruits can be used and soon wine. Oh they make killer smoothies with some vanilla yogurt, powdered malt, half and half, a banana and ice!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here