SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gnappi_gw

Recipe if you're bold :-)

gnappi
11 years ago

I've been a member of GW for several years now but mostly I am found in the tropical fruits forum. I always browse the other forums but decided spend more time here.

This recipe is similar to the Asian dish "Lemon Chicken" with a more flavorful twist.

Last night I "genned" up a recipe using carambola (starfruit) which I have a "LOT" of much of the year. It's a chicken curry / carambola sandwich or rice drench deal.

Note: store bought Carambola are notoriously horrid tasting so getting tree ripened specimens at a farmer's market or from a neighbor is best.

Ingredients: (for 1 expand as needed)

3 chicken thighs with skin and meat removed and diced into bite size cubes.

1 large or 2 medium sized RIPE carambola blended into a soupy liquid (strain or not as desired, I did NOT strain it)

Butter

Curry powder 1 TBSP (OK to leave out if you don't like curry)

Water (not much 1/4 cup to none depending on juicyness of the Carambola)

1/2 to 1 cup of Sugar (less if you don't use sugar and the whole cup if you like a sweeter taste.)

Soy sauce (1 Tbsp more or less to taste)

Braze the dark meat in a frying pan with the butter and when mostly cooked add the carambola, curry, sugar and Soy sauce and simmer for 10 minutes.

You can pour it over rice or onto a hoagie roll, I did both last night it was very satisfying.

Comments (9)