Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Old Corning Ware Browning Pan Safety?

Posted by gengenz (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 22:17

Does someone here know if the old CorningWare Browning Pans would
damage the glass Carousel in an 1100W Microwave Oven, I know the pre-heat times have to be reduced, because the ovens at the time were about 650W. With the correct preheat time, is this going to damage the glass carousel tray? or anything else? Thanks to any one who will help. gengen.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Old Corning Ware Browning Pan Safety?

I've been using my corningware browning pans - I have 2 different sizes - in my 1100 watt micro with glass carousel for over 11 years. I have had no problem. I generally only preheat for 1 minute. Love the way it heats cold pizza.

Helene

o

As long as you have water in the browning pan, it can only go up to 212F, doesn't matter what's the microwave's wattage.

You can also do this test (assuming your pan has no metallic parts):

Put the browning pan empty in the microwave, and also put in the microwave a separate cup with water in it. Set the microwave to cook for 30 seconds, one minute, two minutes ----- until the water boils. Each time you you touch the empty browning pan, if it gets hotter and hotter, then the pan may not be microwave safe.

Let us know.

dcarch

o

I've rarely found that test to be in line with manufacturer claims of microwave suitability. Case in point, this pan is meant to go into the microwave empty and it's meant to get hot, as I understand it. Is the test flawed or the manufacturer wrong?

Regardless, if a major company like Corningware makes a product specifically to be used in the microwave, I'd accept on blind faith that it's microwave safe :)

This post was edited by foodonastump on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 10:27

o

OP mentioned that it is an OLD browning pan.

Many old browning pans were made before microwave ovens, therefore no tests/claims were available.

dcarch

o

Apparently OP's were made when 650 watt microwaves were common.

o

The browning pans the OP is talking about were specifically made to go into a microwave empty of food. They were intended to be pre-heated, and then the food to be "browned" was to be placed into the pre-heated pan to be crisped.

While the pans were made in the days of 600 watt micros, as I'd mentioned in my post above, I've been using mine for several years in an 1100 watt micro. I have both a flat, small browning pan and a covered larger browning pan intended for micro "frying".

Helene

o

I was interested in this thread because a ended up with one of these things that I have never used. I now see that it is for pizza. Mine looks like a round dish but it clearly states to use it what appears to be upside down. The now down side is coated with whatever creates heat. Anyway, I found an instruction link to the general corningware browners. They are the MW series. The instructions mention that they had been designed for 650 watt microwave units.

Here is a link that might be useful: Browning instructions from Canada.

o

I had never even realized there were that many choices. I have what's described as the 10" covered skillet and the really shallow browning 'grill'. I guess they're still a 'hot' item on ebay!

Helene

o

Thanks to all of You, for Your help. The ones I have are the ones with the slightly different material on the bottom, meant to be pre-heated, then used. I will be grateful for any additional information, as to the preheat times, food to be cooked and the time required to cook..
Bluebird, I have never tried to re-heat pizza with it, or anything else, since I got the 1100W oven. Thanks.
I have been afraid the glass (carouse)l tray would get too hot, and crack or cause some other problem. with the oven (Panasonic) itself. gengenz

o

Since I have different sizes of these pans, from My Mother, I would appreciate any tips and ideas about what I can cook in them.
Bluebird, have You used different sizes of these browning pans, on the glass carousel (1100W) MC, without problems? How long to heat pizza, once it is 1 minute pre-heated? I have a flat 8" square tray with draining channels around the edge, an 8 and a 10 1/2" square pan (over 2" deep, with a glass lid), and a ridged flat bacon cooker, and a 6-7" skillet (approx. sizes) Thanks in advance for all the help. gengenz

o

Sorry, I thought I'd replied already, but I guess my answer is lost in space.

With the smaller, approx. 8" pan, I heat it for 1 minute directly on the glass carousel. Only 1 slice of pizza fits in, and generally, if the pizza has been refrigerated, a minute coking time will heat and crisp it. If it has been frozen, you might need another 30 seconds to 1 minute longer.

The 10.5 inch pan like I have too, I sometimes might heat for 1 1/2 minutes.. Not longer. Two pizza slices fit in here....again, heat chilled for 1 minute, frozen a little longer. I've warmed up leftover fries and chicken nuggets.

I remember cooking in these pans years ago, experimenting with eggplant and chicken parm, but then the thrill of actual microwave cooking was over. I'd even once made a turkey in the micro...never again.

Helene

o

I was hesitant about putting a browning pan in a microwave oven that is more powerful than 650 watts because:

I had mentioned on other threads that I have a habit of playing with electrical and mechanical things, even when I was a little kid. It is amazing that I am still alive today.
:-)

When I was very little I found out that I could use two pencil leads, hooked them up to electric power to create an arc, (in the old days, some power grids were DC powered, hence, part of my user name, dc arc h ). Then I found out that I could melt glass with the arc, and discovered that glass, a most strange material, became a good electrical conductor in its molten state and became hotter and hotter and started to melt more and more.

It probably is safe to use the browning pans in a 1100 watt microwave because, supposedly, the pans are self-limiting to 600F (?), but that is for a 650-watt powered oven.

dcarch

This post was edited by dcarch on Sat, Mar 23, 13 at 8:54

o

Hope this helps everyone:

Subject: microwave browning instructions

Microwave Cooking for One by Marie T Smith
Microwaving Tips: Conversion Charts
CorningWare Covered Browning Skillet
CorningWare Browner Instructions
Please Note: These instructions were transcribed from a Canadian version (circa 1986) of the instructions that CorningWare included with the Browning Utensils. The instructions (as noted on the chart at the bottom of this page) were written for use with a 650-Watt oven. Therefore, you will probably need to use the conversion charts at this site to adjust the times.
WHY A MICROWAVE BROWNER?
In microwave cooking some foods cook in too short a time to brown naturally. Generally, these are the types of food cooked by frying on the range in a fry pan or skillet. The Corning Microwave Browners allow browning, searing, grilling and frying during microwave cooking, producing colour as well as flavour.
WHAT ARE THEY?
Certain Corning Ware cookware items have a special light gray coating on the outside bottom of the utensil. This coating, when the EMPTY BROWNER IS PREHEATED in the microwave oven, absorbs microwave energy producing a hot cooking surface that sears or browns food. Feet or other design features keep the hot coated surface from touching the microwave shelf. USE MICROWAVE BROWNERS IN MICROWAVE OVENS ONLY.
NOTE: Regular CORNING WARE cookware without this special coating can NOT be used as a browner.
WHEN TO USE A MICROWAVE BROWNER?
Foods that require a hot surface such as meat patties, steaks, chops, chicken pieces, fish, grilled sandwiches, frozen pizza are best cooked on a microwave browner. Roasts or large pieces of meat or poultry do not require a microwave browner as their longer cooking time allows natural browning of the food.
HOW TO USE A MICROWAVE BROWNER

Place EMPTY microwave browner (without cover) in microwave oven.
Preheat the microwave browner for the same reason as preheating a rangetop fry pan, to make a hot surface which will brown foods.
Using FULL POWER (OR HIGH SETTING) PREHEAT FOR TIME SUGGESTED on browner Cooking Chart (at bottom of this page).*
DO NOT preheat longer than:
4 minutes for small (MW-83-W)
6 minutes for medium (MW-9)
8 minutes for large (MW2, MWA-10)

Longer preheat time can cause breakage to the microwave oven glass shelf.

Preheat time depends on the size of browner, type of food etc. Adjust suggested times for desired results. If necessary, rotate cookware during preheat period.
IMMEDIATELY PLACE FOOD ON THE HOT SURFACE OF THE BROWNER as surface cools off quickly reducing browning.
If possible leave cookware in oven. Food must make good contact with cooking surface in order to brown. Smoking and spattering will occur as in any frying or broiling situation.
MICROWAVE FOR SUGGESTED TIME (see chart at bottom of this page)***.
The hot surface browns the food while microwave energy cooks it.
TURN FOOD OVER AFTER 30 seconds to 2 minutes AND MICROWAVE for desired doneness.
For extra browning turn food onto unused cooking surface. Rotate browner.
REMOVE DISH CAREFULLY as the coated part of the dish becomes VERY HOT.
Use pot holders.
Place hot browner on trivet to protect counter top or table.
For additional servings remove excess food etc. and preheat browner again, about one-half-original preheat time before adding food.

*Microwave oven manufacturers may provide charts or recipes for using browners in their brand of microwave ovens.
BROWNING HINTS

To improve browning and prevent sticking, coat cooking surface of browner with small amount of butter or margarine just before adding the food.
To increase browning use a spatula to flatten or press food against cooking surface for better contact.
The skillet cover helps reduce splattering, but may produce a “steamed” product.
Experiment with preheat times. Successful microwave browning depends considerably upon personal taste preferences.
Thaw food completely before browning. Ice crystals in food prevents browning. Excess moisture decreases browning.

CAUTION

DO NOT … use on rangetop or in conventional oven.
DO NOT … cook on coated underside of browner.
DO NOT … use browner with any plastic or paper accessories.
DO NOT … place glass cover under a browning unit.

TYPES OF MICROWAVE BROWNERS

BROWNING SKILLETS with heat-resistant glass covers.
Skillets are ideal to brown or sauté foods. Add other ingredients, cover and microwave. These skillets also can be used as regular microwave cookware. The surface does not function as a browner when covered with food.
BROWNING GRILL
The Browning Grill has a slightly sloping service which allows fats and juices to drain away from the food into the well surrounding the cooking surface. Its flat design makes it easy to turn food over.

CARE AND CLEANING

BROWNER DISH (AND SPECIAL COATING)

Wash Dish in hot sudsy water
For cooked on food soak in hot sudsy water. Use a mild cleanser such as baking soda, Bon Ami Cleanser, Corning Cleaner-Conditioner or plain plastic mesh pads.
DO NOT use metal or abrasive pads �" such products can scratch.

GLASS COVER

A hot cover can break if placed on a wet surface or in water.

BrowningChart
Click on the image to see larger version that you can read.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here