Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
One thousand pounds of apples

Posted by annie1992 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 22:16

Yes, that's right. One thousand pounds of apples. You know, sometimes I just can't help myself.

Last year was a great apple year here, and a lot of packing plants on the Fruit Ridge have apples left in storage. So, I see an advertisement for 1,000 pound boxes of mixed apples for $20.00. They are meant for livestock feed, sizes and varieties cannot be guaranteed (or even guessed at, LOL). All you need is $20 and a truck that a wooden crate of apples will fit into. Oh, and you get to keep the crate. (grin)

Off I go with Elery and Molly and $20 burning a hole in my pocket. A nice young gentleman with a forklift puts a crate of apples in the truck and we head for the farm. I climb into the back of the truck and take a look. It's a lot of apples. About 200 pounds are soft or bruised or frozen, those will be pig food. There are big apples, small apples, misshapen apples. Mostly red and yellow Delicious, a few Honey Crisp. We sorted out a couple of bushels of good apples to use, the remainder will be fed to the cows and horses. They'll be happy and well fed for 2 cents a pound.

These are mine:

Apple overload photo IMG_0698.jpg

I promptly canned 11 pints of applesauce:

Applesauce photo IMG_0703.jpg

Elery "ran" the peeler/corer/slicer for me for a roaster full for the sauce, and a crockpot full for cooking. I mixed in a little brown sugar, a handful of dried cranberries, a couple of tablespoons of cornstarch and let that cook 3 or 4 hours, it made a nice side dish for pork loin tonight:

Pork loin, apples, broccoli, roasted potatoes photo IMG_0704.jpg

I've got some apple oatmeal cookies made and an apple slab pie cooling on the counter. I'm thinking of making and freezing some apple/maple/walnut scones.

I have about half a bushel left to use, any suggestions?

Oh, and if you ever see an advertisement for 1,000 pounds of apples for $20, go for it!

Annie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: One thousand pounds of apples

SCORE! I bet Elery is proud of the girl he married! Not a lazy bone in her bod and lots of smart bones in her head!

o

You mean you didn't haul out the cider press??? ;-D
I guess you could make apple pie filling to can or freeze with the rest.

o

Yes to canning apple pie filling, and fire-up that dehydrator for any leftovers. -Grainlady

o

What a find! I'd take off vacation days to be able to make applesauce and applebutter with that haul!

You are my idol, Annie!

Teresa

o

Fantastic!!! c

o

Too cool! How many people would know what to do with 1,000 pounds of apples...or any food.

Wimpy me, I buy a couple of pounds so Lily can visit with and feed the cows down the street from us.

o

What a deal, Annie! The first thing that comes to mind is an electric roasting pan full of apple butter.

If you dry some of the tart ones, you'd be able to make this traditional PA Dutch dinner with a leftover ham bone.

Here is a link that might be useful: Schnitz und Knepp

o

Wow! Only you would be brave enough to take advantage of such a wonderful deal. You sure have put them to good use, too.

By the way, I have a peck of apples I bought and forgot about before we went on vacation. They've been sitting in my laundry room at 55 degrees the entire time. Do you think they'd be okay for apple sauce or apple butter? Would love to make Apple Pie Jam with them.

o

When I was at Costa Rica, there were street vendors trying to sell me apples, "Buy apples! Very delicious! Special apples from New York, USA!" They were very expensive. I realized that they don't grown apples there, and apples are very special treats, air shipped from the USA.

Of course I didn't tell them I was from New York, the "Apple State", the "Big Apple", New York City. LOL!

Ship to Costa Rica and make some money.

dcarch

o

I dunno, dcarch, I think shipping 1,000 pounds of apples to Costa Rica would be very expensive, LOL.

Ruthanna, I'm saving that recipe, as we have pigs that will be processed in a couple more weeks. They'd be in my freezer already except the snow is so deep that Dallas can't get his truck out to the pig pen. Anyway, we're going to definitely have ham, and I've already dried apples. I seem to have trouble using dried apples, I have one muffin recipe and Elery's mother's recipe for apple stack cake, but the kids don't like them as snacks and so I have bags of them in the basement. I sent a bunch to Elery's sister, she's in Tennessee and doesn't get the deal on apples I get here either.

Madonna, I'm betting your apples will be fine. Just cut one and see. If they are soft, brown and mushy, find some cows to feed them to. If they are just a little wrinkly or more likely, still firm (depending on the variety), use them. Even apple pie would be good, because the apples cook and if they are a little soft the texture isn't an issue.

I've canned some pie filling and applesauce and apple butter. I had a nice piece of apple slab a few minutes ago. I'm thinking I'll put a couple of batches of apple scones in the freezer for baking later and probably make the rest into juice, as I do use apple juice for marinating pork roast. Elery's been giving apples to the pigs, saying that they are simply being "pre-seasoned".

I'm probably not going to have any left to send to Costa Rica, darn it, the cows were having a nice breakfast of apples this morning and didn't look inclined to share. (grin)

Cathy, the neighbor's cows must love your grandkids, they always come bearing treats!

Annie

o

Nice. And I was all proud of myself because we plowed though a 40 lb box on Fujis before they shriveled.

You're making me miss our old Brown Swiss, Shadow.

bcsky, if they aren't all dried out, or spongy, smell weird taste weird or otherwise icky, they'll be fine. I used the last Fuji a couple of weeks ago...was a little wrinkly but was fine sauteed w/ onions for a pork roast side. I bombed out at the fair one year with apple pie jam. The judge didn't like cinnamon in jam and said it smelled like dirty socks, lol.

(Annie will you email me? Tried through CF and well...it worked as usual. Unless triton is still valid, I have no addy for you.)

o

What a haul, lol. Keeping busy during this dreary cold spring?
The positive side of that is a good bet we will have a healthy fruit tree crop this year.
(no early spring = no late frost we hope)

I've not used much of my dried apples and pears. Too much like leathery elephant hide.
Not a favorite texture, but super chopped and in granola though.
I've been using slices in my fresh fridge pickles. Still crisp and vinegary and good on a sandwich. Putting that on my 'what to do with all these apples' list for next fall.

Last weekend i made Kevin Dondon's sweet and sour cabbage. From "Modern Irish Food". I used meyer lemon instead of orange and dates replaces the raisins. (no added brown sugar). It was delish like a fresh sauerkraut. I baked it just an hour instead of 2 1/2. A good use of apples! Made way too much but was good for a few days...

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Pickled-Sweet-and-Sour-Red-Cabbage-51225020

Here is a link that might be useful: pickled apples

o

As soon as I saw the picture of the pork with applesauce, that scene from The Brady Bunch came to mind.

Well, I am glad you did not have to peel the entire 1,000 pounds. I love homemade applesauce. Lucky cows, lucky horses lucky pigs (for now).and lucky Elery. Too bad Molly doesn't eat apples.

Here is a link that might be useful: pork chops and applesauce

o

What's slab pie?

o

LOL, Dedtired, I think of that whenever I have pork and apples. It must be our generation.

Sleevendog, I'm glad it's not just me on the texture of dried apples. No one in my family seems to care for them, but for some reason, I keep trying recipes. I'll figure out a way to use the darned things, I will...

We got some more snow today, this is my backyard about 3 hours ago. It's a good time for canning, much more pleasant than canning in August! And no, that's not a blurry picture. That's a snowstorm. (sigh) With wind.

Snow 3/25/14 photo IMG_0734.jpg

Deeby, slab pie, or as Grandma used to call it, apple slab, is basically a pie baked in a big sheet pan. It can easily be cut into squares to serve a lot of people, and can be picked up and eaten without a fork or plate, although some ice cream or whipped cream just makes it better and requires utensils, LOL. Sometimes I glaze it, usually not. I make it because Elery loves the crust, and there is more crust than filling in a slab.

This is the one I made, and I was pleasant surprised. Red Delicious aren't the best choice for a baking apple, but they turned out pretty well and baked up better than I anticipated.

photo IMG_0710.jpg

apple slab side view photo IMG_0711.jpg

I use this recipe from Midwest Living. I like to use butter in the crust, although this one had half butter and half shortening. Lard makes the flakiest pastry, if you have it. I didn't. I also didn't have the cornflakes, I never seem to, so I just leave them out.

Danish Apple Pastry Bars

2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1 egg yolk
Milk
1 cup cornflakes
8 -10 tart cooking apples, peeled, cored and sliced (8 cups)
3/4-1 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 egg white, lightly beaten
1 cup powdered sugar
3 -4 teaspoons milk

1.In a large bowl combine flour and salt. Using a pastry blender, cut in shortening until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a liquid measuring cup, beat egg yolk lightly. Add enough milk to make 2/3 cup liquid. Stir well to combine. Stir milk mixture into flour mixture with a fork until combined (dough will be slightly sticky). Divide mixture in half.
2.On a well-floured surface, roll half of the dough to a 17x12-inch rectangle. Fold dough crosswise into thirds. Transfer to a 15x10x1-inch baking pan and unfold dough, pressing to fit into the bottom and sides of the pan. Sprinkle with cornflakes. Top evenly with apples. In a small bowl combine granulated sugar and cinnamon. Sprinkle mixture over apples. Roll remaining dough to a 15x10-inch rectangle. Fold dough crosswise into thirds. Place atop apples and unfold dough. Crimp edges or use the tines of a fork to seal. Cut slits in the top. Brush top with beaten egg white.
3.Bake in a 375 degrees F oven for 50 minutes or until golden and apples are tender, covering with foil after the first 25 minutes of baking time to prevent overbrowning.
4.In a small bowl combine powdered sugar and 2 to 3 teaspoons milk to make a drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm bars. Let cool completely on a wire rack. Cut into bars. Makes 32 bars.

They really aren't much more difficult to make than a regular pie and serve a lot more people. It can be a bit tricky to roll the dough out that big and get it in the pan, but a little practice and you'll have it down easily.

Annie

o

I knew what you meant, but thought I'd mention that we would call that an apple slice in Oz. :-) Looks really yummy, pity you couldn't post me a bit :-)

o

LOL, Colleen, I probably COULD post you a bit. But it wouldn't be so good when it got there and it would cost a fortune!

Oh, and Madonna, if you're inclined to make jam, I make Nancy's (wizardnm) Maple Apple Jam, it's amazing and I've won a couple of those fair ribbons for the stuff. If you like maple, of course. Mine ends up thick, more like pie filling than jam and it makes amazing homemade pop tarts. I think it originally came from "Farm Journal", but I can't swear to that.

Apple Maple Jam
(Nancy, CF)

APPLE MAPLE JAM

12 C finely chopped apples (about 6lbs) I used the food processor
6 C sugar
1 C Maple syrup (grade B if possible)
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp Allspice
1/2 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp cloves

Combine all in a large deep pan. Slowly bring to a boil. Cook to the jellying point. Stir frequently, so it doesn't stick. Pour into hot jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Adjust caps. Process 10 min in BWB.
Yields about 8 half pints. I double this recipe and it works fine.

Annie

o

Thank you. That slab pie looks fabulous. That and a huge, icy cold Coke and I'd be a happy camper !

o

We love a pork chop, potato and apples dinner. It requires 2 frying pans. In one, fry your pork chops. In the other, slice potatoes and fry them with or without onions. When they are half done, sprinkle in some cinnamon. Slice the apples. You don't have to peel them. Sprinkle lightly with cinnamon too, and add to the potato pan when the potatoes are close to done. I usually flip the potatoes on top of the apples. When the apples are tender, it is all done. If the pork chops get done first, I just put them on top of the apples and potatoes to keep them warm, and I have been known to sprinkle a little cinnamon on them as they are frying too.

o

Thank you for the Apple Maple Jam recipe, Annie. I will definitely make it. By the way, will you share your Apple Oatmeal Cookie recipe?

o

I do pork sausages with sliced apples and sliced onions all cooked in the same pan. Deglaze with some apple juice and add some double cream to thicken the sauce if you like. Yum!

o

Wow, thats awesome ! I know that I would have had the scrappler and press working overtime had I made a score like that. Makes me long for the fall and the smell of fermenting cider.

o

Wow, thats awesome ! I know that I would have had the scrappler and press working overtime had I made a score like that. Makes me long for the fall and the smell of fermenting cider.

o

Apples are great in salads, too.

My favorite includes lettuce, thin strips of cold cuts and swiss cheese, and peeled and sliced apples topped by a bit of olive oil and white vinegar. Citrus segments can also be added, or sliced peaches.

This is based on a summer salad I had in a sandwich shop years ago, which included smoked turkey strips.

Kudos to you for your energy and efficiency. Waste not, want not!

o

Deeby, you are more than welcome. I had mine with a cup of freshly roasted Honduran coffee for breakfast, but a Coke would work too. Make mine Diet Coke, please.
sheilajoyce, that sounds like a recipe that would work well for me, something that comes together quickly with easily obtained ingredients. I'm definitely remembering that!

Colleen, that sausage/apple combination sounds good too. Do you usually add the cream? I could easily see that over rice or noodles. And soon I'll have pork chops and sausages.

hattichranch, we have an old handcranked cider press that Dad built for me and we press cider every fall. We always run out by January, no matter how much I freeze. It was in the single digits here, though, and nearing zero at night, and the water is frozen out there. Even at those temperatures, I'd have dragged out the press, but with no water available other than that I truck in for the animals, I couldn't clean up my mess efficiently. I thought about it, trust me. More than once!

eibren, I don't know about efficient. I do tend to have a lot of energy for an old broad, I'll be 59 in May, LOL. I did make a kind of waldorf salad which we had tonight with salmon patties, and I threw some shredded cabbage in there too, gotta use what's on hand, you know.

Madonna, I love maple, so I couldn't possibly pass up the Apple Maple Jam. I've used it to fill small tart shells too, and add a topping of toasted walnuts.

Ah, the cookies. I have to warn you, I "healthified" them quite a bit. I still liked them a lot, as did Elery and Bud has been happy as can be, eating "cookies" for breakfast, something not normally allowed. A couple of cookies, a cup of yogurt and some homemade applesauce and he is one happy little boy.

Apple Oatmeal Cookies

3/4 cup shortening (I used half butter/half applesauce)
1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1 large egg
1/4 cup milk (I used skim because that's what I had)
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1 cup flour (I used white whole wheat)
1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
3 cups quick oats (not instant or old fashioned)
1 cup peeled diced apple (I'm lazy, I shredded the apple with the peel on)
3/4 cup raisins (optional)
3/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts (optional)

1 Preheat oven to 375° and grease cookie sheet.

2 Combine shortening, sugar, egg, milk and vanilla in large bowl.

3 Beat at medium speed until well blended.

4 Combine flour, cinnamon, salt, soda and nutmeg in a small bowl and mix into creamed mixture at low speed until just blended.

5 Stir in oats, apples, raisins and nuts.

6 Drop rounded tablespoonfuls of dough about 2-inches apart onto prepared cookie sheets.

7 Bake for 13 minutes or until just set.

8 Cool for a minute or 2 on cookie sheets and then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

The recipe said it made 30 cookies but mine made 36, dropped from my tablespoon cookie scoop.

Annie

This post was edited by annie1992 on Wed, Mar 26, 14 at 20:39

o

Yes, Annie, I usually am bad and add the cream :-) A bit of thyme goes well in it as well.

o

Thank you for the recipes, Annie. I can tell I'll be baking today.

Madonna

o

Annie, i've been saving this thread for reading when I get into a real fit of the doldrums at work (who on earth would want a computer at home as well??) and of course it picked me up like a spell. Love your threads - so full of joy of life it's contagious.

The apple slab looks wonderful ( I think i've already seen it but the more the merrier).

o

Wintercat, life is pretty good and I'm basically a pretty happy person, and that's BEFORE 1,000 pounds of apples, LOL.

I think I have posted the recipe for the apple slab before, maybe on one of those "choose an ingredient" threads that Nancy (wizardnm) used to start. We should do those again...

The last of the apples are gone, I canned 6 quarts of apple juice and 5 half pints of apple spice syrup yesterday. Well, I still have about 5 bushels at the farm for the livestock, but I'm done with my share!

Annie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here