SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
canarybird01

What's For Dinner? #292

canarybird01
15 years ago

Today I finished off my homemade pesto by mixing it into meatballs and it turned out just right.

PESTO MEATBALLS

I had about 3 heaping tablespoons of homemade pesto left over from a fettucini lunch and since I had defrosted

500 grams of a ground pork/beef mixture I decided to mix the pesto into the mix and make pesto meatballs.

'Best meatballs I've ever tasted' ....was the response from my husband. Here's what I put in it:

500 grams (just over a lb) of finely ground beef/pork mixture

1 large egg

1 teasp dry mustard

1/4 teasp ground nutmeg

1/4 cup grated parmesan

2 heaped TBS homemade pesto

1/2 onion - minced

1/2 teasp salt

1/2 teasp ground black pepper

flour to coat

cooking oil

sauce:

1 heaping TBS pesto

1/4 cup hot vegetable steamer water

1.Mix egg with meat, add pesto, onion, parmesan and spices.

2.Form golf ball sized meatballs and roll on floured plate to coat.

3.Cover bottom of small frying pan with about 1/2 inch oil and when hot,

put 5 or 6 meatballs at a time to brown about 4 minutes, then turn them over.

4.Drain meatballs on paper and keep hot while forming and cooking the rest.

5.Mix about 1/4 cup hot vegetable water into remaining 1 TBS pesto to make

enough creamy sauce to drizzle over meatballs when plated.

SharonCb

Comments (103)

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

WFD? Well, today I simmered a brisket with some leeks and onions for a "New England Boiled beef" to serve with boiled potatoes and carrots, then got to work on a chicken caccitore. Since two meals were done, I gave Dad his choice and the chicken won. I served it with some gemilli pasta and we were stuffed. Boiled beef, better than that sounds is for tomorrow. Leftover beef and stock will morph into soup of some kind, either minastrone or barley for later this week.

Ann, I think the prime ribs will be for Easter dinner here. Your rice pudding has me craving for some more as I made some last week when the "girls" were here.

Annie, have you tried a very firm polenta, then fried, topped with cheese? I can't stand the soft one, it reminds me of cream of wheat or grits. The only grits I ever liked were Riverrats Gouda grits, made with smoked gouda. YUM!

Dixie, if you were only closer...I would give you a big hug and feed you.

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Peppi, I certainly have some leftover "very firm" polenta, LOL, although I was thinking it needed to be more creamy. That's how Grandma always made cornmeal mush, very firm, then she sliced it and fried it and drizzled it with maple syrup. Since I made it with chicken stock and added asiago cheese and butter, I don't think it would take well to maple syrup, but I intend to fry it for Elery on Friday. Does it need a sauce, do you think, since there's cheese alread in it, or just more cheese?

So what's for supper? Thursday night I visited Makayla, who had the flu. By Friday, I had it. I drove to Elery's, feeling a little icky when I left and extremely sick by the time I got there. He had coconut shrimp waiting and that was definitely not a possibility. Elery made chicken noodle soup but I had just a ginger ale and slept for 12 hours, then felt fine.

Saturday we went to HomeGoods so I could look for some soup bowls, I just don't like those square deep ones from my set of dishes. I didn't find any, so we went to Whole Foods where I finally found whole wheat pastry flour and then to Trader Joe's where I picked up some triple ginger gingersnaps, some of the orange muscat champagne vinegar and a box of low fat almond granola. We went home and ate the coconut shrimp from Friday night, along with some couscous.

Sunday I felt great, and Elery had the flu. Yeah, what a good wife, we share everything. Poor guy, I left his house a few hours ago, stopped at Horrock's on the way home and bought sweet potatoes, pears, green beans, fresh beets, some Michigan cherry biscotti. I didn't bother with supper until I got home, when I had a bowl of the chicken noodle soup Elery had made on Friday. I left half with him, along with the rest of the gingerale, hopefully he'll be fine by tomorrow.

Annie

• Related Discussions

patti skipped out for dinner: what's for dinner

Q

Comments (18)
    I'm back from dinner. It was great visiting with our snowbird friends and we talked for over two hours. We were neighbors when we both lived in the boonies and they moved back to Ohio shortly after we moved. We went on a cruise together with others from the neighborhood and had so much fun with them once. So now we e-mail and get together once a year :-( Dinner--not so good. I ordered the fettucini alfredo with bacon-wrapped sea scallops. The salad that came with it was very good,the scallops cooked just right but the alfredo was disappointing, to say the least. It was a big plate of angel hair pasta with a huge glob of alfredo sauce out of a jar. Ick, ick, ick! What could be easier than alfredo sauce? It's just a little butter, cream, garlic and lots of parmesan. They had little rolls that came with the salad that looked a little like those biscuits at Red Lobster, but were floury and dry. Now I remember why we don't like to eat out. Harry had fried oysters, baked sweet potato and hush puppies. He said on the way home it wasn't very good, but if it's dinner time I swear that man would eat plastic! Guess we won't be eating there again any time soon!
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #375

Q

Comments (100)
    WalnutCreek, I'll have to try pork chops in the Air Fryer. I have one but the only thing I've liked so far that I made in it was "fried" chicken". Beet chips just fell into the bottom and charred, fish was dried out, potato chips were fiddly and half were crunchy but the rest were not. (sigh) After the beet chip fiasco I shoved it onto a pantry shelf and haven't touched it since, I'll have to drag it back out. Yesterday I took Mother some roasted chicken and twice baked potatoes, the chicken was brined 24 hours and high heat roasted ala AnnT. It was really good, extremely moist and even the breast meat wasn't dry. I also made a big batch of split pea soup, Mother loves it. I had to use yellow peas because I had those and the store didn't have any green split peas (or any other dried beans) in stock. sleevendog, your garden is growing well, and Elery would love an artichoke pizza. Neely, stay well, I'm glad your sons are delivering food, I stopped and did Mother's grocery shopping yesterday and dropped off groceries along with her prepared meals. Jasdip, I'm glad you're just "hunkering down" and there's no reason for quarantine! As for that leprechaun, we didn't catch him, but he dropped some of his treasure, a couple of strings of beans, a few of those "gold" colored dollar coins and some glittery hair clips. Maci insists that she heard "tiny little footsteps in the night" and nearly caught the leprechaun eating all the chocolate, LOL. Annie
    ...See More

Family Room Addition Quote - $292/sq ft???

Q

Comments (11)
    "Am I missing something?" In a word, yes. You're missing the knowledge that inferring the cost of a remodeling project based on the cost of new construction is an approach that can and often does lead to large errors. Even estimating the cost of new construction based on the cost/SF of a very similar home can lead to errors if the building site is different or market conditions have changed or the owner changes what they consider to be insignificant things that have a higher than insignificant cost. One cost benchmark is cost data for remodeling projects in the "Cost Vs. Value" Report published each year by Remodeling Magazine. They provide national, regional, and local costs for a variety of remodeling projects along with an estimate of how much the project adds to a home's resale value. The most recent year their report included the cost of a Family Room Addition was 2017. The cost they reported for a 16' x 25' mid-range quality addition with vinyl siding over a crawl space in the north/east Ohio market was $92,075. Here's a link: https://www.remodeling.hw.net/cost-vs-value/2017/east-north-central/cleveland-oh/ Add three years of construction cost inflation at say, 5% and you're at $106,600 +/- then add $8K to $10K +/- for a full basement with slab vs. crawl space foundation and the effort of cutting through the existing foundation and you're at $114,600 to $116,600--not too far removed from the $118,000 estimate you received from your remodeler. I don't think you're lacking for bids. I think you're lacking calibration with respect to real world remodeling costs in your market area.
    ...See More

What’s for Dinner #387

Q

Comments (102)
    Shambo, I'm so sorry to hear about your husband. I know he had some health issues and you were cooking low salt and healthy meals for him. I'm sending hugs and strong thoughts and prayers to your and your family. Jack, we are kindred spirits, I swear. When I make twice baked potatoes I'll make a whole sheet pan full of them, mine usually just has cheese, butter and sour cream, occasionally I'll add bacon. I freeze them and then package them usually two per package, Mother loves them and they're easy to heat up. Of course someone is always digging through my freezer to see if I have any, all of the grandkids and the kids love them and they make a fast and easy supper. Jasdip, as you know, I love potatoes in just about any form, so being able to grab a package quickly is a luxury. They are quite durable too, LOL. Neely, I have a pile of butternut squash in storage, if only I had a pile of prawns too! sleevendog, that looks pretty to me! Delicious too. No pictures here, today we had hamburgers! Tomorrow we're making sandwiches and having cake and ice cream for Madison's 9th birthday. No party this year, of course, but we bought her a hoverboard, so she'll be happy, even with just her folks and Elery and I. I baked a strawberry cake too, with sea turtles on top, her choice. I'll try to remember to take pictures, and hopefully she won't break an arm or a leg, riding the thing around the kitchen island or something... Annie
    ...See More
  • lakeguy35
    15 years ago

As always, great looking and sounding dinners on this thread....one of my faves to check out for sure. Real cooking has been hit or miss here. Yesterday was a cold, windy, nasty day so I made bean soup with a ham bone and chicken and dumplings.. not picture worthy...some baking too. Tonight was eggs benedict with hashbrowns...breakfast/brunch for dinner.

David

• ann_t
    15 years ago

David, now that is a breakfast that both Moe and I would love for dinner.

I made Greek last night. Chicken Souvlaki with Greek Salad and rice.

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Annie try that fried polenta topped with puttanesca sauce. What I call "puttanesca" is canned spaghetti sauce with capers and kalamatta olives thrown in. Can also add dash of hot peppers or peperonicci and chopped parsley and fresh basil. Closest thing to italian salsa! Then finish with a dollop of marscapone if you dare.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

All these fancy foods !!!!!

David:
    I'm with you for the fast food thing.

Although, maybe I'd like some Souvlaki, either Pork Tenders or Chicken.

Tonight I made an Omelete, with Potatoes, Cooked Salami and
    Pepperoni.
    Used 3 Jumbo Eggs , fresh from a chicken.
    Lou

{{gwi:1510294}}

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It all looks very good as usual and I would really like some of Ann's rice pudding. I haven't made it for ages.
    Lou I'm amazed at how many lovely birds you have coming to dine on your patio!

Today was a charity luncheon at a new little restaurant less than 5 minutes' walk away from home. We had been there once before. Wolf didn't want to go this time and since I had booked my reservation weeks ago I went alone and sat with lady friends. The food was just wonderful.
    The young chef-owner has worked in the kitchen of some of the best hotels here on the island and is having success with his own business now.
    It just so happens that this was going to be my next restaurant review writeup so I was taking notes as well as photos in preparation.

As it was a special event, we started off with a standup champagne greeting where crab on biscotti as well as tiny croquettes in orange ali-oli sauce were passed around.
    Then we sat down for three delicious courses....described on the menu as:
    1. Cod & caramelized onion on toasts with rocket leaves and bouquet salad with apple vinaigrette.

2. Fillet of cherne (fish) with saffron sauce and sauteed vegetables on a bed of risotto aromatized with macadamia.

2b. 2nd main course option: Charcoal grilled beef sirloin with bacon sauce, sauteed potatoes and fresh vegetables.

3. Dulce de leche in vanilla sauce from Bali, almond croquant and caramel strings.

This was washed down with several bottles of red and white wine placed down the tables.
    Oh it was a great meal, and we paid just over $25 per person which included the portion going to the charity. It was a gourmet treat!

I chose the cherne fish in saffron sauce with risotto.

1, 2b, 3....and the young, very clever chef, Raul

SharonCb

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Sharon:
    All you have to do is put up a small feeder filled with Sunflower Seeds.

Mine attract all species of birds, Bears, Squirrels,
    Flying Squirrels and Red Squirrels.
    Mostly Birds.

The Bear hasn't been up the pole since I broke a broom over his head.

Get yourself a Bird Feeder !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lou

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Lpink, that ain't never going to happen. I don't care for red sauce but I absolutely hate, despise and detest olives. LOL. I won't eat pepperoncini either....

I think I'll wait until this weekend and let Elery eat it. Maybe with red sauce, and he LOVES olives. (grin)

So, for supper I had pancakes and eggs.

Annie

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

OK, Ok, just throw some of your famous salsa on it girl!

Mental note: don't serve Annie olives . . . ever!

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Lpink, Pasta Puttanesca is our favourite pasta dish. I made it just a while back, picture near the top of this thread. We love it!

Last night I took my girl friend out for her birthday dinner (and was sure to toast Linda and Stacy!). Went to a new restaurant in town. It's owned bu the same folk that own one of the best restaurants in Oakville but they bill this one as scaled down decor wise, dress wise, menu wise.....but they seemed to forget about the scale down part price wise!!! LOL Anyhow it was excellent. They serve everything Tapas style, very small portions meant to be shared.

We started with a wonderful cheese plate served with fresh bread as well as grilled bread and an olive oil/balsamic dip and a raspberry spread. Next was some delicious grilled shrimps with garlic and lime. Last was Gnocchi served with chorizo, hot peppers, and tomatoes ....so good!!! Desert was a collection of 4 mini desserts, a cheesecake, a flan, a pecan tart and a chocolate mousse.

All and all excellent ! I'd go back on a heartbeat but not with the men...they would be wondering where dinner was !! LOL

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Sounds like a wonderful dinner Sharon. Funny though isn't it, how they scale down the size but not the price.

I made Perogies yesterday and Moe had his on the side of a grilled rack of lamb and I just had perogies.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

OMG Ann that is a major thud! I love perogies and those look unbelievably delicious!

• diinohio
    15 years ago

Oh Ann that is just beautiful!

Di

• lpinkmountain
    15 years ago

Chase I love puttanesca too. I Googled it to make sure I had the right term down, and I found out it means sauce "all tarted up" as they say in Great Britain. I make it with tuna. Will be a while before I get some more though, my fridge is full of food I don't have time to eat.

I haven't eaten a sit down meal since brunch, which was toast with cream cheese/blue cheese spread, reheated braised cabbage and apples, with a poached egg. I had better luck with my egg poaching after the advice I got here. BTW, how can you tell when blue cheese goes bad?
    :)

I had an oatmeal cookie and coffee for dinner.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Lpink , yes the name does come from the Italian word for "lady of the night"! Here's my recipe...it's even vegetarian....except maybe the anchovy!

Pasta Puttanesca

1 Lb spaghetti linguine or other thin pasta
    2 Cans best grade Italian plum tomatoes
    1/4 Cup best quality olive oil
    1 Tsp oregano
    1/8 Tsp red pepper flakes (or to taste)
    1/2 Cup black olives Sliced
    1/4 Cup capers drained
    4 garlic cloves minced
    8 anchovy fillets chopped coarsely (or less)
    1/2 Cup Italian parsley chopped

Drain the tomatoes and cut in half. Combine the tomatoes and olive oil in a skillet and bring to a boil. Keep the sauce at a boil and add all remaining ingredients except pasta, stirring as you add. Reduce heat and simmer until the sauce has reached a consistency you like.

Meanwhile bring 4 quarts salted water to the boil. Cook pasta until tender but still firm. Drain and toss with sauce. Serve immediately with fresh grated parmesan.

Last night I made a great beef dish. Clive was licking his plate! I made a red wine sauce by simmering red wine with chopped shallots, chopped garlic and chopped mushrooms. After it reduced by about half I strained the veggies out and added the sauce to an equal amount of my homemade brown sauce. I sauted some sliced mushrooms and slices of beef tenderloin. Served with spaghetti squash and broccoli. Clive had his over rice. Sorry the picture is so lousy.

• wizardnm
    15 years ago

Sharon, wonderful sounding restaurant and the food....wow!
    I don't know about you, but my little newspaper writing gig is taking up more time than I thought it would. Then maybe I just spend too much time trying to figure out what to write about each week.

Ann, I'm drooling! Wish I had some of those perogies...awesome.

Chase, I am going to do something like your beef dish very soon. I plan on a couple of articles about morels soon and I like your inspiration dish.... :))

I have been cooking, some.

Corned beef boiled dinner (that I didn't get to in March)

Then there was Cornish Hens. Two different stuffings, one was wild rice and the other bread stuffing.

Nancy

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lou I was admiring your colourful birds but honestly I don't need more quantity of the birds I already have visiting my bird feeder, which is a double tiered metal cake plate hung in a tree outside my computer room. Funny thing is they also like to walk into the living room via the patio door, walk over to the cat's dish of dry food, eat and then poop on the floor(!) then walk back outside. Mine are mostly blackbirds.

Annie pancakes and eggs is a wonderful comfort food! I bet yours was good. Just thinking about it makes me hungry.

Sharon your tapas dinner sounds great. That's my favourite way to eat out with friends.
    And I bet anything would taste divine with your added homemade brown sauce. I always said I would make that one day but haven't done it yet.

Ann your perogies look wonderful.

LPink I also was wondering how you can tell when blue cheese is bad because Wolf was eating some last night that was pretty strong smelling. He said it was okay though.

Nancy I'm with you on that writing once a week takes more time than expected. Just today I had to return to the restaurant that I'm reviewing this weekend to take more interior photos and get the menu from the chef. I think I'll have to help him translate his menu into English as he must have done it with a computer translator.
    Here are a couple of his main dishes as written in English:

"Salted of vegetables and prawns with sauced of soybeans and honey of the island of the palm." ....Here's another:

"Greek glass of foie and yogurt with electrical cloud."

Well I have tasted his food and would go back there any day for a special occasion meal as it's absolutely wonderful and he's such a pleasant young fellow that I want to help him out with translations. I bet Wolf could also brush up his German menu too so will offer his help.

Today we had baked salmon and veg in Marilyn's gourmet sauce.

SharonCb

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Did I tell all you women , I hate you !!!
    Unless you come and cook all that fancy food for me.

Nancy :
    You actually used Stuffing. I thought I was the only one who did that.

All I had tonight was some Noodles Stroganoff.
    Not much worth Posting but they were Gooooood !!!

You are supposed to use Wine with it, so I drank a Glass.
    It's a fast food !!!

{{gwi:1510308}}

Sharon :
    You surprised me !!! You won't get a Quantity of birds,
    you will get Quality !

Try it with a very small cup, away from the Blackbirds.
    You can always take it down.
    I'm curious to see what kind of birds you can attract.

Why I really Posted was to put in a Photo of my Easter Cactus Flower for you.
    Last Easter there were Blooms over the entire plant.

This year there were only a few , so far but this one was about 3 inches across.

• kathleen_li
    15 years ago

Everything looks delicious!and pretty flowers!
    Hope all of you who celebrate have a Happy Easter...

• hawk307
    15 years ago

I guess no one's cooking tonight. Tommorrow is the big day.

Had another lil ole Stuffed Roast Chicken 4 1/2 lbs.

{{gwi:1510310}}
    Everyone came up today.
    Grandson is on leave, will be here tommorrow, along with his sister.

We are getting the eggs ready for the Easter Egg Hunt tommorrow.
    They still believe in the Easter Bunny and Santa Clause.
    Or else they wouldn't get any gifts.

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That's a lovely Christmas (Easter) cactus Lou and the stuffed chicken looks really good!
    Okay I will buy some sunflower seeds and see what I can attract. At the moment I'm feeding them every kind of bird seed from the supermarket, including alpiste as well as dry cat food and bread crumbs. We do get little blue tits (photo below)sometimes and other wild small yellow birds.

Today I did my entry for the dried fruits challenge but sort of cheated as I wanted to use up some sun dried tomatoes that a friend gave me when she cleared out her kitchen befpre leaving for 3 months in England. So I made puff pastry filled with SD tomatoes which were rather nice as a snack before dinner.

No big Easter dinner here though as it's just the two of us and I hate having to deal with big hunks of meat leftover, so we had a teriyaki chicken and vegetable stir fry.
    It was just right and a bit later we'll be having fresh strawberries and ice cream.
    That's plenty for us as we don't eat large quantities much any more.

SharonCb (Tenerife Easter Pageant on blog link)

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Hello !!! anyone there.

I'm getting tired of rescueing this Post from the
    rough seas. I'm not a great swimmer.

Sharon :
    Glad you are trying the Sunflower Seeds !!!

That bird almost looks like the Goldfinch.

Here, they are turning more yellow every day.
    When they are in full color I'll put in a Photo.

They did ID that as an Easter Cactus on the Garden Forum.

Hope someone cooks a meal soon.
    Lou

• stacy3
    15 years ago

Lol Lou. poor guy - always saving WFD from the next page.

I have to admit, I haven't been here for you...shame on me. But But but - I have been looking over all these gorgeous photos and reading the delish descriptions and wondering why I'm doing it to myself - LOL. Those pierogies just put me over the edge. I think I'm going to have to splurge and have some of those!!!! Ann, is it bacon and onions or just onions? with them?

chicken rollups - gnocchi - omg - everything looks so mouthwatering.

thanks for toasting my birthday and Linda's - Sharon. We ate at a nice Italian place in the city that day - Scott had some homemade pasta with wild boar, and I had luscious filet - Will had spaghetti but helped both of us with our meals...then we took him to see the Phantom of the Opera. It was a nice day (other than trying to go to Macy's which was absolute mayhem - I swear handbags were flying in the air...)

We also went to Anthony Bourdain's place in Soho - Les Halles - and Will had crispy duck leg confit with some kind of truffled fried potatoes...he's so good about trying new things.

he also got calamari for an appetizer there.

We stayed at the Waldorf+Astoria and had to order the Waldorf salad - it was good. I bought their cookbook - it's very nice.

After getting rained on badly at the Statue of Liberty, we promised Will that we'd get a cheese platter when we got back to our room - and relax while we dried off...$70 later...LOL.

• chase_gw
    15 years ago

Oh WOW Stace...you are looking very hot and my man Will is looking way to grown up! I can't believe a kid his age eating what he does, truly sophisticated!

We've been eating ham , ham and more ham......tonight it's ham.

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Stacy:
    Don't believe that !!!
    You're both ugly. Better start eating the right foods.

Roflmao, Man I'm in trouble now.!!!

Truthfully: He don't look the same as in the Camping Pics.
    Growed up a bit.
    And he's eating Calamari. Whoa ! hey, yoah Will !

When we went to see the Lion King, I think we walked down 42nd st. from Broadway and ate at,
    an Italian Basement Restaurant. The food was great!.

Sounds like you had a good time. Why isn't Scott in the picture.

On you way home, drop Will off.

LOU

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Lou, I came back because I didn't want you to be lonely - but you have lots of company now. Thanks for continuing to rescue us from the dreaded page two.

We had Italian Easter Pie with a tomato, red pepper and cuke salad dressed with the Italian Dressing recipe that steelmagnolia posted just about a year ago. I add a little more vinegar and this time I added more Italian herbs because mine are beginning to lose flavor. We also had twice cooked fresh little green beans - steamed first and then browned quickly in hot olive oil with a little chopped onion and seasoned with salt and pepper and a the juice of a lemon.

Sadly no dessert, although I may stuff a little Nutella and a walnut half into a Medjool date.

Lee

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Oops - forgot to thank Stacey for sharing the weekend get away with us. It all looks and sounds wonderful. Did the roomservice charge include drinks?

And I'm LOL at Sharon's account of ham, ham and ham.

Lee

• malna
    15 years ago

Easter dinner was a venison sauerbraten with braised red cabbage and spatzle (if you're German/Austrian) or nokedli (if you're Hungarian). Unfortunately, our guests (son, DIL and GD) woke up Sunday morning with a stomach ick, so we've had sauerbraten, sauerbraten, sauerbraten...it was delicious (if I do say so myself) but I'm ready for chicken tonight!

I made homemade gingersnaps on Saturday for the sauerbraten gravy - a half recipe since DH doesn't eat sweets and I don't need the calories. They were gone by Sunday morning. After living with him for almost 20 years, I had NO idea he loves gingersnaps. He said his grandmother always made them for him for his after-school treat. Guess you're never too old to find out something new about your partner!

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Ok, to help keep this on page one, Easter dinner was a simple one of roast pork loin, fresh white asparagus, potato dumplings and gravy. For dessert I made a strawberry tart with almond cream filling.

And since dad has left for Germany/Italy for 3 weeks, I can eat what I want, when I want or not cook at all. I love the guy, but this is a bit of a vacation for me. So dinner last night was grilled lamb chops with rice pilaf and tonight was a pan seared wild salmon, raosted fingerlings and brussel sprouts. No sweets to follow as we had a "food day" at work. Of course, everything was store bought except for the salsa I brought.

Stacy, when did Will grow up?

Malna, I love sauerbraten and never thought to use venison for it.

• riverrat1
    15 years ago

This thread is so inspiring! I love to read through early morning with my coffee. I'm set for dinner tonight...just need to make it to the store. Today is a Maggie day! We pick her up after nap and have her for the rest of the day until Mom gets off work. Then I cook for DD, Maggie and SIL every Thursday so I come here for ideas.

Thanks for keeping this thread going.

We have been eating alot of leftovers lately. We've not cooked any picture worthy food either. I need to get busy and contribute to this awesome thread instead of gleening all the time. lol!

Stacy, looks like you guys had a great time. I remember the days when the kids thought it was cool to order room service. Now, we all can't wait to get up and "go" eat. Will is adorable and quite the grown up young man. Boy, time is going by fast.

• woodie
    15 years ago

Stacy, you and Will are just awesome! I hope you enjoyed Phantom - I think it is awesome too.

We've been away in Florida for a month and I had no computer down there - that was a big snafu in our rental arrangements and I learned that I really don't like life without the internet. I talked with Cathy/Mustangs but we were not able to get together, there's always next year! I am still playing catch-up back home but at least spring has sprung here in NJ and things are bright and green and lots of yellow, purple and pink abound.

Food? What's for dinner? Well, not a lot of great cooking going on in my kitchen lately but we did have rack of lamb for Easter dinner and I have recently made some chicken with dumplings and sausage marinara and Pat T's idiot pork chops and a favorite chicken balsamic with thyme that was wonderful as always. In our rented Florida condo I whipped up a Sandra Lee semi homemade ravioli lasagna that takes 5 minutes of prep time, feeds 6-8 people and was really so good I would make it again even if I had more time and wasn't on vacation!

Its nice to be back and reading WFD again for the usual great photos and inspiration.

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Lou for helping to keep us on page one! You are a busy man what with all that cooking, feeding and taking bird pics.
    I haven't been cooking much but have tons of bird pics now LOL.

Stacy I still have one of the first photos you posted of Will together with you and your mother. He has grown so much since then! And what an adventurous palate he has....my younger granddaughter runs away when she sees calamari or shrimp....and still calls them 'ugly bugs'. Sigh, and her dad's a chef too.

Lee your Easter Italian dinner sounds wonderful, and I still have to say how good it is to see you back posting here again.

Malna we love sauerbraten and spaetzle but I've never made it myself as we have an Austrian restaurant so very close to where we live and they do that dish every Tuesday, so we just go there when we have a craving. But haven't had venison since I lived in Canada. I bet yours was good.

Peppi we love the German white asparagus. (Do you have yours with a bowl of melted butter?) But here it's brought down from Germany and costs the earth so I buy green. Nice you can fix just what you want to eat for a while.

Karen lucky you to have your Maggie for an afternoon!

Woodie...rack of lamb sounds like a perfect Easter dinner!

Well yesterday I made pancakes with turkey/chicken sausages and eggs. Good but not worth taking pics of it. The day before we went to a little outdoor terrace restaurant in the neighbourhood as I'm writing my next review about it, as part of a list of inexpensive places to eat out in this area.

So I'll show what we had: Wolf chose schnitzel in pepper sauce with salad and chips, I had a salad and spaghetti carbonara and a small mousse-type dessert from the island of La Palma called 'Prince Albert' which has a cake underneath mousse topped with croquant nuts. I have the recipe from the local government cookbook of island recipes so will make it one day and post pics and recipe.

Garden today has been exhuberant....bursting all over with everything including sunshine.
    Lunch was roast pork, salad and wrinkled salt potatoes from the corner deli.
    I cooked fish a couple of days ago.

(These photos will click to enlarge.)

SharonCb

• stacy3
    15 years ago

oh NO!!! I made a mess - changing things around in photobucket!!! I'm sorry! I will try to figure it out and fix.

• stacy3
    15 years ago

there I fixed it. Thank you - I know - he has gotten so big! Still a very fun and silly little boy, though...:-)

No, Lee - no drinks! just the cheeseplatter and crackers...sigh.

Tonight Scott and I are grilling mahi mahi and Will is having some bbq'd chicken drumsticks. With Sue's roadhouse rib sauce. he loves that stuff!

Lou, you are so naughty - always stirring the pot aren't you? :-)
    Stacy

• pkramer60
    15 years ago

Sharon, I wold love to get my hands on the German white, but we never have seen it here in the states. This batch came from Peru and was very nice. The Mexican and Chinese has a very matalic taste to me.

One of my fondest memories of Mom and my great Aunt was a trip to Holland, along the Maas River for an asparagus feast. From soup to 3 other courses, all with the white. Then after dinner drinks on a veranda. Sigh...

Of course there was butter!

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Peppi, maybe that's why I bought the white asparagus here once and thought "eh, that's over rated". I'm sure it came from Mexico and it tasted bland with a kind of metallic overtone. I'm hoarding that jar you gave me until I decide something appropriate to make with it, and then I'll probably love it and won't be able to buy it, LOL.

Stacy, Will is nearly as big as you are. Dang, I hate it when our kids outgrow us! Sigh. Still, it sounds like a very fun time and Elery and I loved Phantom of the Opera when we saw it in Chicago.

Woodie, welcome back!

SharonCB, your meals look delicious but those flowers are absolutely gorgeous.

I'm going to try to help Lou and keep this on page one, LOL. Last night I had eggs and home fries. For lunch today I had leftover turkey and a box of frozen brussels sprouts. The night before last I had potato soup and on Tuesday Elery made crab rangoon and some fried rice.

Easter was something else entirely and I'll post pictures as soon as I get a minute off from fence mending!

Annie

• stacy3
    15 years ago

I know Annie, but I'm 5'7" The kids huge! LOL.

All this cooking expertise that you all have given me - is making him grow like a weed. :-)

The mahi mahi was really good. I marinated briefly in light soy sauce, ginger, honey (i think that's all) and then grilled it. Served with a nice salad with sliced strawberries.

tonight since it is gorgeous here - I ground up some beef and we are having some nice big hamburgers cooked on the charcoal grill.....mmmmmmm...probably also a spinach salad.

I've got to take some pics too - other than just when we're on vacation - LOL..I will try to remember tonight.

Looking forward to your Easter pics Annie.

Sharon and peppi, I've seen the white asparagus here, but never gotten it. I have no clue where it's from! I never thought it would make a difference. I'll have to check.

Oh and yes Will (well, all of us) LOVED the Phantom. I want to go back to see Desire Under the Elms while it is on. I read that in college. We ordered the DVD with Sophia Loren and Anthony Perkins. Maybe we'll watch it tonight. But I love Brian Dennehy (spelling) and he is in the stage version playing now, I think, in NYC. But I don't think Will can go to that!

Stacy

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Stacy, I'm 5'2", just think how quickly my kids outgrew me, LOL. In fact, most of the 3rd graders are taller than me right now. (grin)

The shows sound very nice. I'm thinking I might take Bud and Makayla to see Dora the Explorer on stage, does that count?

Annie

• lsr2002
    15 years ago

Stacy, I sure hope the cheese on the pricey platter was wonderful!

Thanks Sharon, even though I still have a long way to go, it is good to be cooking and posting some.

Tonight we had pan seared and oven finished Chilean sea bass with a little purchased lemon wasabi sauce. The sauce tasted as though it had a mayonnaise base - I think I can duplicate it when we finish the jar. We also had sliced Roma tomatoes, steamed green beans and some leftover wild/brown rice pilaf. I've only purchased sea bass twice in the last several years since Whole Foods has advertised that they buy only from a fishery that is certified as sustainable to the standard of the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC). It was delicious.

Our weather switched between rain and snow all day and it is supposed to snow until tomorrow afternoon. Some of the nearby foothills towns have more than 30 inches. Even though we had precipitation all day, we only have about six inches on the grass because of the rain and because the snow was so heavy it compacted. Ahh, Springtime in the Rockies! I think we get back to the 70's by Tuesday.

Lee

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Stacy, I love that photo of Will eating calamari.

So many wonderful dinners. Lou, I always love your chicken dinners.

SharonCB. You post the cutest bird pictures. I really like how you are arranging your photos.

Lee, nice to see you here. I heard the weather report for your area. Hope you don't get as much snow as called for.

Here are a few of our meals the last week or so.

Chicken Parmesan and Pasta

Easter Dinner

Escargot in a cream sauce under Puff Pastry

Blackberry Turnovers

Roast Chicken Dinners

Prawn and Avocado Salad

Chicken Pot Pie with a double Crust

And last night's dinner - Greek Ribs

• canarybird01
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Stacy I still haven't tried Sue's roadhouse sauce and I must do that the next time I find ribs here. It sounds like a winner and has been popular for a long time here on the forum.

Peppi I had a real feed of white asparagus from Germany here once in a German restaurant. I can see why they talk about it so much. It was really good, and served in a typical manner together with boiled potatoes, ham, hard cooked eggs and a whole bowl of melted butter...ohhh!

Thank you Ann...the birds are now so used to my window feeder and the babies are no longer afraid to get close that they come three and four at a time now. Your week's dinners look delicious, especially that roast chicken with cream gravy!

Last night was a ladies' night out for a Chinese dinner in my neighbourhood. I went with three girlfriends and we sat and ate and talked, drank wine and talked some more until 11 pm.
    It's so nice to get together with friends in person rather than on the internet for a change LOL.

Today I made a Salade Nicoise....and it turned out very well. I made too much but we kept refilling our plates and Wolf ended up licking the salad servers because the dressing was so good. I usually follow Delia's recipe as well as for the vinaigrette herb dressing, using mint, parsley, thyme and chives. It's so refreshing and tasty.

I put the dressing into a little empty spice bottle and it was just right as a dispenser.

Tomorrow I'll be making pesto again. Wolf says he could eat it once a week, it's so good.
    I've planted basil again but at the moment I have to buy fresh basil at the supermarket as mine isn't ready to pick yet.

SharonCb

• jude31
    15 years ago

First of all, I can't believe I'm actually posting on this thread. You all are such fabulous cooks and the pictures of your food look like they've been done by a food stylist. I don't do cameras so there won't be pictures.

I grew up in a very rural area of E. Tenn. and if there were 3 meals a day they were breakfast , dinner and supper. Somewhere along the line dinner moved to the evening meal to be replaced by lunch and supper "went away". I liked supper. There's just something about the term that has warmth that I don't get with dinner. Anyhow, tonight we had a SUPPER, a prelude to summer meal. We were in NC for a few days and stopped at the Asheville Farmer's market on the way home so tonight we had a summer veggie meal. Boiled corn on the cob with chive butter, fresh green beans, fried okra and corn muffins. That's it....but it was so good and will be repeated often but with homegrown tomatoes, cucumbers and cantalope added as they come in season.
    Southern eating......yum yum.
    jude

• hawk307
    15 years ago

Made a few things today,for the freezer.
    Prebaked Pizza, Pita's, Pizzelles, Biscotti & Cheese Cake.

Had Curly Noodles with Spaghetti Sauce and Sausage, tonite.
    All gone , No Photo's, No Biggie.

Sharon :
    The Birds are going into their full Color.
    Couldn't get a clear shot thru the window ( fuzzy )

The American Goldfinches are turning Golder and the Purple Finches ae turning " Purpilier "
    Lou

{{gwi:1510345}}

PS: You said you were going to try my Ribs too !!!

Wish I had all that publicity !!!
    BUT !!! there were a few members who liked them.

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Jude, I grew up just outside of Toronto (Ontario, Canada) and we also had breakfast, dinner and supper. Although I use the word dinner, it has just become a habit over the years, I like the word "supper" too. It will be many months before we get locally grown corn. My favourite time of the year. Moe and I will make a meal out of just corn. No sides.

Lou, you have been a busy boy. What a great bird feeder.

Ann

• annie1992
    15 years ago

Like Ann T, I grew up with breakfast, dinner and supper. Dinner was the big meal, probably because the family worked the farm so we had a big breakfast as soon as the sun came up, worked until noon or one when we had a big and substantial meal, and then kind of wound down for supper around five or 6. Work was mostly done by supper time, so we didn't need the "fuel" that we got at breakfast and dinner.

I think it may be a regional thing, I grew up here in Michigan, as did my father, but my grandfather was from Buckhorn, a bit north and east of Toronto.

So, what's for supper? Scrambled eggs, but breakfast is much more interesting today. I made breakfast for my support staff in honor of Administrative Professional's Day, which is actually tomorrow. I made homemade cinnamon rolls with cream cheese frosting, Ann T's blueberry muffins, Woodie's Creme Brulee French Toast, hash browns, some red pepper and onion quiche, fresh fruit salad, bacon, sausage, orange juice and coffee. That oughta keep 'em happy and full for a while.

Annie

• ann_t
    15 years ago

Annie, I wish I worked at your office. I'd love one of your cinnamon rolls with my morning coffee.

Ann

• wbcountrygirl
    10 years ago

Last night we had stuffed bell peppers made with ground turkey and black beans. Can't wait until we have fresh bells from the garden again!
    I added a link below if you're interested in the recipe :)

Here is a link that might be useful: wanna be country girl ~ Stuffed peppers

This post was edited by wbcountrygirl on Fri, Jan 24, 14 at 11:40

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    10 years ago

Welcome to the Cooking Forum Wbcountrygirl.

That is a fine looking stuffed pepper. Nice photo too.

Hope to see more of your cooking on the Cooking Forum.

dcarch

• analogmusicman
    10 years ago

since our kitchen will be torn apart for about a year (we're remodeling it) we'll be eating not so well for that time but when everything's finished,we'll be ready for some of the yummy things we've seen in this post,so all recipes will be gladly received!

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations