SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Please Suggest An Indian Cookbook

John Liu
13 years ago

I have decided it is time to learn something about Indian food. Presently I know nothing whatsoever about this cuisine. Well, I used to eat curries at this dive place called the Calcutta Cricket Club on Santa Monica Blvd in L.A. It was sort of Indian food as a junior and not particularly adventuresome British subaltern might have experienced it in colonial times. As a result, I don't really love curry. I'm not all that interested in making curry. I'm not looking for a curry cookbook.

What I'm looking for is an Indian equivalent to Marcella Hazan or Shuizuo Tsuji, or the Larousse Gastronomique. An author who has written something quite fundamental and even encylopedic, that starts with the basic ingredients and flavours of India, the typical cooking techniques, the key tools, then covers the mother dishes, in all their original complexity and with every bit of fat, salt, or other no-no.

Can anyone suggest some possible titles? I have a list of titles from melaska, she of the magic purse, but I'd like to have several options in hand before I go off to Powell's Books. Because it is a City of Books, and I'm easily led down the wrong street and into the wrong neighborhood. Without your help, I will be cooking from ''Indian Food For A Bikini Body'' or a similar classic. (And I wear a one piece.)

Comments (19)