SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jyl_gw

Juicing - Getting Started?

John Liu
11 years ago

A project for this weekend is to make a couple quarts of juice for the coming week.

A recipe I'm looking at is:

" 1 large or 2 medium beets, cut into wedges
1/2 lemon, zest and pith removed
2 large carrots
1 large apple, cut into wedges
1" piece of ginger

1. Juice everything into a glass.

2. Stir.

3. Enjoy! "

I haven't done much juicing, so here are some questions.

- You mean, just juice a raw beet, no cooking? Aren't they like little rocks? And don't you need heat to release the sugar?

- I have two juicers here, Our old machine where you push a piece of food through a finely grained conical cutter, the pulp ends up in the bin while the juice pours into a container. And a new machine, a "Ninja", that looks like a blender on steroids, it seems to liquify the entire piece, without separating pulp from liquid. Which should I use?

(SWMBO says the Ninja gives you all the nutrients in the skin and flesh rather than just the juice; I'm not positive I want to drink beet skin.)

Also, if anyone is into juicing - I hear it is trendy nowadays - I'd welcome any general talk about it that you want to have.

I am unclear on the nutritional and health benefits and detriments, if any, but am interested in learning.

Also, I have only ever juiced carrots and apples, so am ignorant of the possibilities.

(One of my friends starts his day with a "shake" of stuff I'd not have thought of juicing - kale, chard, celery - blasted into a thickish liquid in his megawatt blender. I thought it tasted fairly challenging, but the concept is intriguing. I have a bunch of kombi here, beet greens, turnips, etc - and could create my own vegetable puree too.)

Comments (15)