Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pig Candy

Posted by joanm (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 30, 12 at 21:04

Oh my! I saw a photo of pig candy on a blog somewhere and I just had to try it.

Pig Candy

Yummo!!

Every recipe said to use foil for easy clean up. I am so glad I listened. Once you peel those drippings from the foil you get Bacon Brittle! Awesome stuff. Two recipes for the price of one.

Photobucket

The yummy mess.

Bacon brittle

The bacon brittle. LOL

This recipe is from the blog the Kitchy Kitchen.

8 strips thin cut bacon (hickory smoked bacon was a wonderful maple flavor already within it)
1 cup golden brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Directions:
Turn the oven on to 350 F. Meanwhile, blend the sugar and pepper together in a bowl. Taste it. If it's too spicy, add more sugar, not spicy enough, add more cayenne. However, the spice does become a little more pronounced after being cooked, so be aware of that.

Lay the bacon on a cooling rack placed over a baking pan lined with aluminum foil (these means minimal clean up!). Cover each slice of bacon with the brown sugar mixture. It should be an even layer, thick enough so that you cannot see the bacon through it (about 1/8 or 1/4 of an inch).

Place the bacon in the oven for about 10 minutes, or until the sugar is completely browned, and the bacon has curls at the edges and appears mostly cooked. Remove the bacon from the oven and flip. Cover the bacon with the rest of the brown sugar mixture, and pop back in the oven for another 4-6 minutes, or until the bacon appears fully cooked, like crunchy, but not burnt. If the bacon seems underdone, just leave in the oven for a minute or two more.
Let the bacon cool on the rack for at least 15 minutes to let the sugar harden a bit before you start cutting the pieces. I find it's easiest to use a pair of kitchen scissors and cut the pieces over the serving bowl. Serve it up with the libation of your choice and enjoy!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pig Candy

Libation of choice? It's usually coffee, LOL, we've had this for breakfast a lot of times over the years.

The Grandkids love it, but they'll eat it instead of anything else, so they are "rationed" until they eat some of the rest of whatever we're having for breakfast.

Leftovers never have to be worried about, it doesn't matter how much I make, there's never any left.

Sometimes I use maple syrup instead of brown sugar, but it doesn't have as much crunchy sweet crust that way.

Annie

o

Oooh, I am so NOT making this! My DH would fall instantly in lust with it....and probably so would I, LOL.

o

C'mon, jkom51, live dangerously. (grin) You'll love it, how could you not love sweet, salty, greasy, crunchy bacon?

Annie

o

Serve with a side of caramel cheetoes...AKA Goose Poop....

o

I'm still thinking about it :->

I wish I had a Grandma like Annie!

Bacon candy... Yum

o

Well, I know for sure their mother won't let them have it for breakfast. Here they get bacon candy, waffles shaped like cows and barns and chocolate milk. Breakfast is good, LOL.

Annie

o

o

Hi Weed!

Love the graphic!

E

o

Hey, Weed!!! I miss you!!!

Come here, little girl, I have (pig) candy.....(grin)

Annie

o

Hi Ladies! I do check in sometimes when I need a recipe - I saved this one...it's too sick not to try :)

o

Hello. I've never posted in here before...but I just had to this time. I'm making my husband look at this thread...he'll never believe it. He thinks my family made pig candy up, that it's some kind of idiosyncrasy peculiar to my clan.

He's from north of the Mason-Dixon Line, I'm from south of it. I figure his folks just don't understand happy food!

Our version rolls the candied bacon up and skewers it before broiling till it is crisp. Hot, sweet and spicy. The key to longevity.
Deborah

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here