Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Roasting Frozen Vegetables

Posted by blueiris24 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 15, 10 at 20:57

Help! I hear people talking about how roasting vegetables is so great and they can get their kids to eat them that way ---- and that yes, they roast frozen veggies with no problem ----- when I try it they end up mushy/wet. What am I doing wrong?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Roasting Frozen Vegetables

I've never done frozen veggies because I just don't do frozen. But do you use high heat? Like 450 or 500? Defrost and dry the veggies thoroughly first?

o

Don't roast frozen veggies....anyone who says they do with no problem doesn't know what roasted vegetables should taste like.
Linda C

o

I've also never roasted frozen vegetables. The vegetables I roast are: potatoes, quartered onions, butternut and similar squashes, red and green peppers, garlic, eggplant.
None of these would come frozen, they must be fresh. I drizzle with olive oil and sprinkle with fresh thyme and black pepper.
Roast at around 400F for 40 minutes depending on how large are the pieces or until tender and lightly caramelized.
Always taste good.

SharonCb

o
RE: Roasting Frozen Vegetables//

I usually do thin asparagus or green beans, drizzle with a little EVOO, roast for about 10 or 12 minutes at most.

o

the only vegetable that I roast from frozen state is asparagus. It's not as good as freshly picked and roasted, but it's not bad if it's roasted nice and brown.

I haven't tried anything else from frozen, just the asparagus.

Annie

o

Ok, you are all making me feel much better -- I prefer fresh vegetables but am working on eating more locally and in season, so certain vegetables aren't always available -- I thought I was doing something wrong but it sounds like I should just stick with fresh in season and let it go!

o

I'm with you, blueiris, I tried to roast some chinese mixed blended bagged stuff tonite and got a simmering pile of mush!
I wouldn't recommend that to anyone!

o

I roast my home-frozen green beans with no problem. I thaw them, try to blot out as much water as I can from them, toss with a little olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then I put them on a roasting tray at around 425 for half an hour or so, tossing once or twice. I haven't tried roasting any other kinds of frozen veggies though...

Emily

o

I grill or roast my eggplant when it comes out of the garden and then freeze it. Tastes pretty good!

o

You're probably crowding the pan. I haven't tried it, but another poster said it's important to space them out. (the water needs room to evaporate) I have read mostly high temperatures-- in the neighborhood of 425.

o

I roast any or all root vegetables, but I haven't roasted summer squashes. Asparagus, broccoli and cauliflower, yes. I usually drizzle with EVOO and sprinkle a dried mixture of rosemary and garlic I have in a grinder and of course S&P.

jude

o

I think that if you have frozen vegetables on hand, you might as well try to roast them as cook them any other way --
I would thaw them and blot off as much water as possible, then toss with olive oil and kosher salt and roast at high heat. What have you got to lose, if you've already got the frozen vegetables?

I still buy frozen peas and corn, though -- and chopped spinach for recipes.

o

Frozen Brussel Sprouts roast very well.

Do NOT thaw them first!

Put the frozen sprouts in a pan that is big enough that they can be spread out, not touching each other.

Drizzle with just a tiny bit of Olive oil, and roast in a very hot (450 degree) oven until they just start to brown.

Very good that way.

Rusty

o

I just realized I told a lie!

I forgot that I do roast frozen asparagus while still frozen.

Drizzled with oil and with some parmesan grated over and roasted until turning colour.

SharonCb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here