Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Grainlady, hide bean flour flavor?

Posted by terri_pacnw (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 20:50

I made up some gluten free flour blend using part garbanzo bean flour for some of the rice flour. ICK!! That after taste even after baking is awful!
I've done some reading and it seems that if you make strong flavored stuff you can mask it enough to be edible. LOL

Any suggestions? How to use it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Grainlady, hide bean flour flavor?

Small white beans and small lima beans have the least amount of "beany" flavor and are a better choice in baked goods (emphasis on SMALL). Sorghum flour is also mild-tasting. I make cookies with sorghum flour.

Did you run out of rice flour when you used garbanzo bean flour, or were you just experimenting? If you ran out, you can mill your own rice flour in a coffee/spice mill; and I'd strongly suggest milling your own rice flour so you can use the best type of rice for baked goods. When you purchase rice flour, you don't always know which kind of rice was used and it WILL make a difference in your baked goods. Both medium- and short-grain rice are better all around choices for rice flour. They can be used as a thickener, in breading, sauces AND baked goods.

For 1 cup rice flour, grind a scant 3/4 cup (3/4 c. minus 1 T.) short-grain rice.

What's in your GF mixture? I might be able to adapt it to one of my GF cookie recipes - maybe peanut butter would mask the flavor of the garbanzo bean flour. I used to do a lot of baking for my gluten-intolerant mother when she was alive.

-Grainlady

o

I like sorghum.
I was experimenting with the flours. And now realize that the bean flour is the problem in Red Mill's Ap flour mix..GAG!

I used 1 c brown rice, 1 c bean flour, 2/3 c potato starch and 1/3 c tapioca. That's the ratio..but I did it like 6 times...so I have to many cups of something I can't stand to use. LOL

But those ingredients are expensive and I'm not ready to toss it yet. I even tried cutting it in half with another batch using only rice flours with the potato and tapioca..Still a bit "beany"..icky icky..icky....

I of course was going for a bit higher protein level. But it back fired on me! LOL

I have brown rice, white rice, sorghum, coconut, potato, tapioca and sweet rice and almond meal/flour.

I have since learned my lesson and will never make up a "big" batch of flour blend..before trying a small batch first..

o

Terri-

Do you have the book, "Cooking with Coconut Flour"? I use many recipes out of that book. I also use Chana dal (immature garbanzo beans - looks like split peas) instead of garbanzo beans because they are low-glycemic and don't raise blood sugar and are milder-tasting than garbanzo beans. They can be milled into flour and used instead of garbanzo flour. You usually find garbanzo bean flour mixed with fava bean flour.

You might try your GF Mix in these recipes instead of the white sorghum flour since it takes so little and the peanut butter in the first recipe, and the almond flavoring in the second, might mask the bean flavor. These are a couple of my original GF recipes.

WHITE SORGHUM PEANUT BUTTER COOKIES

1/2 c. Natural Peanut Butter
1/2 c. butter
1/4 c. white sugar
1/4 c. brown sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. white sorghum flour
1/2 c. dried potato flakes
1/2 c. flaxmeal
1/2 T. cornstarch
1 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt

Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, beat butter and peanut butter with an electric mixer until light and creamy. Add the sugars and beat until fluffy. Beat in the egg just until mixed.

In a medium bowl, combine the white sorghum flour, dried potato flakes, flaxmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. By hand, mix into peanut butter mixture, only until ingredients are incoporated.

Refrigerate dough for 20 minutes.

Using a portion scoop, make dough into 1-inch balls. Place on prepared cookie sheets and press with a fork dipped into turbinado sugar.

Bake 8-10 minutes in a preheated 350F oven. Remove cookie sheets from the oven and allow the cookies to rest on the sheet for 1-2 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.

WHITE SORGHUM and ALMOND FLOUR COOKIES

1/2 c. butter
1/3 c. brown sugar
1 t. almond extract
1 egg
1/2 c. white sorghum flour
1/2 c. almond flour
1/4 c. dried potato flakes
3/4 t. baking powder
3/4 t. baking soda

1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Cream butter. Add brown sugar and blend until light and fluffy. Add almond extract and egg. Beat well.
3. Stir dry ingredients together and mix well.
4. Mix dry ingredients into creamed mixture and mix only until blended.
5. Allow dough to chill in refrigerator for 20 minutes and keep in refrigerator between use.
6. Shape dough into 1-inch balls and place on a parchment paper lined sheet. Press dough balls with a fork to flatten slightly. Bake for 10-12 minutes, or until lightly browned and set to touch.
7. Allow cookies to sit for 1-2 minutes on baking sheets before removing and place on a wire rack to cool.

Yield: 33 cookies

-Grainlady

o

No, I don't have that book, I'll look into it.

Thank you for the recipes. I will definately try the second one. I have all the ingredients.

I'll have to get some flaxmeal..I haven't gone there yet. Even though I know how good it is for you.

o

Save money and purchase a small bag of golden flax (the whole seeds) and mill your own flaxmeal in a coffee/spice mill. Keep the extra flaxmeal in the freezer and use it within a week. It's best used fresh. You could easily leave the flaxmeal out, but I like to add high-quality (low-cost) nutrition where I can and add flaxmeal to almost everything we consume. I mill mine in a coffee/spice mill.

In the case of GF, there's a nutritional gap because the foods aren't "fortified". Personally, I think that's just fine because I avoid fake chemical vitamins and inorganic minerals that are added to fortified foods.

Check out the recipes found at the link below. They are from the "Cooking With Coconut Flour" cookbook.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Coconut Flour Recipes

o

The milled flax meal in the freezer and use within a week? Right?

I need to purchase a second coffee mill. I just have the one used for hubbies coffee.

I agree with your nutritional gap statement.

I will look at the recipes. I did find some and printed them out too a few weeks back..forgot all about them..til I went in my print out cookbook and saw them!

o

Yep - mill the flax, keep the flaxmeal in the freezer (to keep the flax oil from degrading and going rancid), and use the flaxmeal within a week of milling. That gives you the optimum control of freshness. When you purchase commercially produce flaxmeal, you have no idea how long it was exposed to oxygen at room temperature before it was packaged. Oxygen, heat, light are what degrade the nutrients and the oils degrade quickly and go rancid after milling.

You can keep the flax seeds in the freezer, refrigerator, or at room temperature. Every type of seed will keep longer the lower the temperature.

-Grainlady

o

Excellant information. Thank you. I'm going to try the sorghum almond cookies today. (as the recipe is written though.) LOL

o
coconut flour

Grainlady, I had that page saved already. LOL

Question??? In your opinion and experience..why so many eggs used in baking with Coconut Flour? I have some recipes I printed out from tropicaltraditions.com, and almost all the recipes use what I would call ALOT of eggs. LOL Especially in the muffin recipes they offer.

o

Terri -

The people who developed the recipes disliked all the usual ingredients in gluten-free baking - stabilizers, enhancers, gums, different combinations of flours and starches, and all those funny ingredients that are needed to help develop a crumb, instead of a "gum" texture. They found they could avoid those things and use coconut flour, eggs, and oil for most of the recipes using those really basic, simple ingredients. The eggs are also a leavening agent, along with chemical leavening like baking powder. They help make a lighter texture, although I admit it took us a couple times to get used to the "eggy" undertone in the muffins.

These recipes also appeal to people on low-carb diets or those of us who try to use foods from the lower half of the glycemic index of foods list. Things that don't readily raise the blood glucose.

Coconut flour has the ability to absorb hydration like a sponge and sugar affects it somewhat differently than using wheat flour.

I haven't taken the time to develop any recipes using coconut flour - just used the ones in the book (Cooking with Coconut Flour). When I developed the GF cookie recipes using the white sorghum for the mill outside of town, I was asked to stay away from things like guar gum and other "odd" ingredients that most of us who bake GF foods would normally use and have on hand. They wanted the recipes to appeal to everyone. I balked a bit because I knew sorghum flour would probably equal gritty cookies without some of the "trick" ingredients, and still stuck in flaxmeal to help improve the nutrition.

I'm not sure if this recipe was in the mix at Tropical Traditions, but I'll go ahead and share it from the book because it's easy and eggless.

CREAM CHEESE SQUARES

1 package (8-oz.) cream cheese
1/8 t. salt
1/3 c. honey (I use agave nectar.)
1/2 c. sifted coconut flour
Fruit jam or preserves

Blend together cream cheese, salt, and honey. Add coconut flour and mix thoroughly. Layer batter on the bottom of a greased 11x7x2-inch or 9x9-inch pan. Bake at 375F (190C) for 18 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool. Spread fruit jam or preserves over the top and cut into bars.

-Grainlady

o

Thank you, I figured some what that it was necessary..for sucess..but thought wow...6 or 9 eggs in 12 muffins..Woooheee...

I made the Sorghum Almond cookies. They are alright. Seem to taste a bit baking soday or baking powdery. I didn't have almond flavoring (thought I did), so used vanilla.

I'm thinking I might make a small batch of chocolate ganache to fill them with..that might "help" with the tang a bit.

But I actually like the texture and the "grain" mouth feel.

oh and that cream cheese thing looks good.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here