Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best way to cook pork loin and london broil

Posted by bettyd_z7_va (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 14, 08 at 20:44

Just got a small pork loin and london broil on sale and have just about ruined my keyboard drooling over all of everyone's pictures of their dishes and I'm hoping that you can help me knock DH's socks off with these two meats. I've never cooked either one before.
I'm allergic to onions and cheese. Other than that I will try anything. Thanks for any suggestions.
Betty

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best way to cook pork loin and london broil

My favorite recipes for pork roasts:

Caribbean Pork Roast

1 pork boneless double center loin roast, 2 to 2 1/2 pounds
1 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 1/2 teaspoons red pepper sauce
3/4 teaspoon ground allspice
1 medium green bell pepper, cut into eighths
1 medium onion, cut into fourths
4 garlic cloves, crushed
Salt and pepper to taste
1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt

1. Remove fat from pork. Pierce pork deeply all over with meat fork or skewer. Place pork in heavy resealable plastic food-storage bag. Place remaining ingredients except salt and pepper to taste, sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt in blender or food processor. Cover and bend until smooth. Pour blended mixture over pork. Seal bag; place in dish. Refrigerate at least 4 hours but no longer than 24 hours, turning bag occasionally.
2. Heat oven to 325F. Remove pork from marinade; refrigerate marinade. Sprinkle pork with salt and pepper to taste. Place pork on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in center of thickest part of pork and does not rest in fat.
3. Roast uncovered 1 hour 45 minutes to 2 hours 15 minutes or until thermometer reads 155F. Remove pork from pan. Cover and let stand 15 to 20 minutes or until thermometer reads 160F (medium doneness).
4. Pour marinade into 1 1/2-quart saucepan. Stir in sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Heat to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture thickens slightly. Serve sauce with pork.

And my fav for presentation and flavor

Pistaschio Apricot pork roast

1 single uncut boneless pork loin roast (4 lb)
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
1/2 cup chopped pistachio nuts
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 cup apricot brandy or apricot nectar
1 tablespoon butter or margarine
1/4 cup coarsely crushed cracker crumbs
2 tablespoons chopped pistachio nuts
1/4 teaspoon garlic salt
1/4 cup apricot preserves

1. To cut pork roast into a large rectangle that can be filled and rolled, cut lengthwise about 1/2 inch from top of pork to within 1/2 inch of opposite edge; open flat. Repeat with other side of pork, cutting from the inside edge to the outer edge; open flat to form rectangle.
2. Sprinkle apricots, 1/2 cup nuts, the garlic, salt and pepper over pork to within 1 inch of edge. Tightly roll up pork, beginning with short side. Secure with toothpicks, or tie with string. Pierce pork all over with metal skewer. Brush brandy over entire surface. Let stand 15 minutes. Brush again with remaining brandy. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours but no longer than 24 hours.
3. Heat oven to 325F. Place pork, fat side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Insert meat thermometer so tip is in thickest part of pork. Roast uncovered 1 hour 30 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in 2-quart saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in cracker crumbs, 2 tablespoons nuts and garlic salt; cook and stir 1 minute. Cool slightly.
5. Brush preserves over pork. Sprinkle with crumb mixture. Roast uncovered 30 to 60 minutes longer or until thermometer reads 160F. Cover and let stand 15 minutes before serving for easier carving.

Believe it or not they both came from betty crocker.com

o

Thanks Sands,
Both look very flavorful. I can always leave the onions out of the first one. Now getting DH to eat meat with a sweet taste is the hurdle to get over. I tried baked chicken with a sweet rub and he didn't like it!
Thanks again,
Betty

o

Here is my favourite pork roast recipe, You can use a pork loin or a rib roast.

Herb Crusted Rack of Pork -Chase

3 TBSP olive oil
1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
4 garlic cloves, minced
1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
1/4 cup chopped fresh thyme
1/4 cup chopped fresh rosemary
1 TBSP coarse ground pepper
1/4 cup butter cut up
1/3 cup flour
2 cups chicken broth (more or less)
1 TBSP tomato paste
2 TBSP chopped fresh sage
salt and pepper to taste
fresh thyme or rosemary sprigs for garnish

Rub pork with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Combine the garlic and next 4 ingredients and press into the pork. Place pork on a rack in a roaster or broiler pan , cover the bone tips with foil so they don't burn. Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 1 hour and 115 minutes or until internal temperature reaches 145 degrees...don't over cook.

Transfer pork to a serving dish. Pour pan drippings into a skillet. Add butter and cook over medium heat until butter melts. Whisk in flour until smooth. Cook whisking constantly until it is a rich carmel colour. Gradually add the broth and next three ingredients, cook over medium heat until for 2 or 3 minutes until thick and bubbly.
Slice the pork between the bones and serve with the sauce. Use the thyme or rosemary sprigs for garnish.
NOTE: original recipe called for cooking to 160, I think that is too much. I cook to 145 and then let the temp rise as it sits.

o

For a Tender and Juicy Roast, try using multi-ply base cookware and cook on the Stove-Top instead of the oven. The roast is so tender and moist because the meat is steamed in its very own juices on low heat for 2 hours. You have to use the right cookware for this to work. It can be 5-Ply or 7-Ply cookware. See the cooking video, click below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Juicy Steamed Roast and Vegetables

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here