Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Homemade Dry Ranch Dressing Mix Recipe

Posted by cindylouhoo (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 31, 08 at 20:36

Reading the thread about homemade substitutions for all the convenience foods made me think about this. We use one of those recipes that calls for a ranch dressing mix, and I'd rather try a homemade version. I'm trying to find a recipe I can use instead of the Hidden Valley Ranch Ranch Dressing Mix (Dry). Wondering if anyone has one? Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Homemade Dry Ranch Dressing Mix Recipe

I'm sure there's a recipe out there. I use Buttermilk Ranch Dressing Base from Penzeys Spices and maybe you can figure out a homemade recipe based on the ingredients.

Ingredients: flake salt, bell peppers, garlic, onion, sugar, Tellicherry black pepper, minced parsley, thyme and basil.

I mix this with thick homemade kefir. I skip the addition of mayonnaise. The recipe calls for 1 c. buttermilk and 1 c. mayonnaise. You mix 1-2 T. of the base in 2 T. water. Let stand 5 minutes, whisk into the buttermilk/mayo mixture.

-Grainlady

o

Cindy, there are a bunch out there. Many of them call for saltine cracker crumbs, but that always sounded kind of weird to me. Found this one online somewhere -- maybe chowhound? -- and it's pretty good. The best part is that you can adapt it any number of ways to suit your taste. The salt can be reduced or even eliminated. Same with the dill.

COPYCAT H.V. RANCH DRESSING MIX

1/2 cup dry buttermilk (can use regular powdered milk, but I'm not sure how that would affect taste/texture)
1 T. dried parsley flakes
1 tsp. instant minced onions
1 tsp. dill weed
1 tsp. garlic salt
1 tsp. onion powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. salt (I didn't add it)
1/4 tsp. pepper

Throw ingredients in a blender or food processor and mix until it's finely 'powdered'.

Mix with whatever combination of mayo/sour cream/buttermilk/ milk you usually do. For 2 cups of dip or dressing, start with 1 tablespoon mix, increasing gradually if you think it needs more oomph. Same with recipes that call for 1 packet of H.V. One tablespoon was recommended, but you may find you prefer using more like 1-1/2.

sm

o

Here are several I pulled off the 'net too. I used the last one in the No Peek Casserole and it was good. Haven't tried them yet as just salad dressing, I'm still using up an industrial size HV Ranch packet. Any of these could be made up as dry mixes sans the "wet stuff".

RANCH SALAD DRESSING
1 c. mayonnaise
1 c. buttermilk
1 tsp. parsley flakes
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. Accent
1/8 tsp. pepper
Mix together and serve. Note: tastes like Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing. Dry onion flakes may be added if desired. I prefer the dressing without onions.

HOMEMADE RANCH DRESSING
1/4 c. powdered buttermilk
3 tbsp. dried minced onions
3 tbsp. minced dried parsley
1 tbsp. dried minced chives
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. ground celery seed
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
In a bowl or jar which you can cover - combine all ingredients. Mix well. Store tightly covered until ready to use. Makes about 3/4 cup mix. Enough to prepare 8 cups of dressing.
For Ranch Dressing: Combine 1 1/2 tablespoons of mix to 1/2 cup milk and 1/2 cup mayonnaise.

Ranch Dressing
• 1 cup mayonnaise
• 1/2 cup sour cream
• 1/4 cup of milk
• 1 teaspoon parsley
• 1 teaspoon garlic powder or mashed fresh garlic
• 1 teaspoon chopped onion
1. Just mix all of the ingredients together.
2. Chill for at least an hour before serving.
______________________________________________________________________ _____________-

• 1/2 C. mayo
• 1/2 C. yogurt
• 1 tsp dill
• 2 tsp parsley
• 1/4 tsp, garlic salt
• 1/4 tsp. onion salt
• 1/4 tsp. pepper

Wisk all ingredients together and you’re done!

Deanna

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here