Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is your favorite use for left over cooked chicken?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 4, 12 at 20:35

I roast a chicken about once a week, and always have left over meat picked from the carcass. What are your inspired uses for leftover cooked chicken meat? I have several, but we are sick of my old stand-byes.

Thanks in advance!

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is your favorite use for left over cooked chicken?

A couple of things I like are Greek salad with chicken; chicken pesto with broccoli over pasta;or chicken alfredo with peas and mushrooms over pasta. I don't really have recipes for any of them. I just wing it.

Some old stand-bys are chicken sandwiches and chicken noodle soup.

o

Chicken enchiladas

Tortilla chicken soup

Chicken Avgolemono (stock made from the carcass in the pressure cooker)

o

Buffalo chicken dip!

o

I just made Ann T's enchiladas over the weekend.... the rest of the ideas are great! Keep them coming!
Alexa

o

Chicken, in a white sauce made with half milk and half broth from the chicken carcass, with sliced sauteed mushrooms, some onion and red peppers sauteed with the mushrooms...with a bit of curry....over rice....AKA "chicken glop"!! comfort food!

o

Chicken tacos or chicken noodle soup. Or chicken enchiladas made with red sauce and flour tortillas.

o

I love old-school baked chicken cannelloni topped with a bechamel sauce and cheese.

o

Chicken Enchiladas
Chicken and White Bean Chili (Elery's recipe...see Annie!!)
Hot Chicken Sandwiches
Chicken Salad
Chicken Pate with crackers

o

Taco salad - bake flour tortillas over a wad of foil for bowls
Chicken salad
Chicken and noodles, chowder or chicken noodle soup - broth made from carcass
In Alfredo sauce w/vegies over pasta
Pot pie

o

I like to roast a whole chicken and my dog loves the leftovers. She is so spoiled.

o

chinese chicken salad! om nom nom!

o

We often make chicken taco's with the leftovers. I use a white worchestershire on the meat to season it before putting it in the taco shells with usual suspects.

I do also love a good heavily garlic laden chicken salad, on grain bread or stuffed into a tomato.

Sometimes I'll make a quick broth with the bones and use that for a veloute', put the chicken in and serve in crepes.

Even though there is nothing ispired about it, we mostly use the leftover chicken for a supper of salad. I love having salad for dinner and with the chicken in it I can get away with that with my carnivore. Cubes of baby swiss, make some chunky croutons, avocado. Yum.

o

When I make crepes I'll double the recipe and freeze enough for a couple of meals.
One of our favorites is a chicken and mushroom crepe using a cheesy cream sauce. Sometimes I'll add spinach or other veggies I have in the crisper.

o

Chicken Stuffing Casserole is one of my favorites when I have leftover cooked chicken:

~ mix us some stuffing, it can be Pepperidge Farm, Stove Top or your own homemade - moisten it with chicken broth, you can add sauteed onion, celery, mushrooms, etc. to the stuffing if desired

~ make a cream or supreme sauce using chicken broth or use chicken gravy - add in the leftover chicken which has been cubed or chopped

~ layer in a greased casserole stuffing, chicken mixture (with some grated Swiss cheese on top if desired) and more stuffing

~ bake at 350 for at least 30 minutes until casserole is heated through and top layer of stuffing is a little crunchy

I serve this with cranberry sauce on the side and a green vegetable like green beans or broccoli. There are lots of different versions of this on the internet including one that begins with uncooked chicken, but I prefer the use of cooked chicken. One version I made years ago had creamed cheese in the chicken mixture - now that was good!

Teresa

o

I like Curried chicken salad, chicken enchiladas, hot, opened face chicken sandwiches. We have a kitchen sink pasta night where we put the leftover veggies and meats in the fridge all together with a tomato sauce. I think chicken is one of the most versatile meats around. You can do so much with it. NancyLouise

o

Make a choux pastry ring, bake it in the oven, cut off the top and fill with Lindac's "gloup", put back on the lid, sprinkle with cheese and bake for mins or so.

o

Timely thread. I found a bargain on roasters and cooked two yesterday. The meat has been removed and today I will make stock. I was in need of ideas for the meat other than soup! Great ideas here.

Eileen

o

Wonderful ideas all! Thank you everyone :-)

And Eileen - there was a sale on roasters here too - $0.99 per lb, I bought 3! 2 are inthe freezer for future meals, and 1 I made last night, leftover chicken meat tonight.

BTW - I used LindaC's idea and made a mild curry veloute, served over tri-color couscous with steamed green beans on the side. DELISH!

Lots of great leftover chicken meals in our future

Alexa

o

My favourites are

Chicken ala King ...my very first all time favourite
Chicken pot pie
Chicken and broccoli crepes

o

I have always used the carcass to make soup or stock, and leftover meat went into chicken salad or chicken pot pie.

Now, like Nancy, I have another mouth to feed so all leftover chicken goes onto Cooper's supper dish, along with vegetables. Dogs gotta eat their vegetables, you know.

It must be a trend, whole roasting chickens were on sale here for 99 cents a pound too, and pork roast was $1.29 a pound.

Annie

o

The birds I found were packed two to a bag and were .89/pound. Single packs were 1.29/pound.

I have ziplocks of cooked chicken meat and containers of chicken in the freezer. And now I have recipe ideas. :) Crepes are calling my name. And curried chicken salad.

Eileen

o

Teresa, we like chicken stuffing casserole also. Makes its way onto our menu several times every fall/winter. I use the make ahead chicken gravy that's most always in our freezer for a fast mid-week meal. I add a handful of fresh whole cranberries into the casserole.

/tricia

o

Chicken Pot Pie or chicken bbq pizza.

Kate

o

Make soup out of the carcass, add the meat in to heat through before serving. I'm big into bone and meat broths lately (Weston Price Foundation newbie here!), so I don't waste the carcass - it always gets boiled into a nutritious broth, with greens, aromatics and meat thrown in.

o

I feel the need for.....dumplings! Chicken and dumplings, quick before we get the early spring temps again!

Yes! Chicken and dumplings this week/weekend!

Teresa

o

this is one of my favs that I use with leftover or grilled chicken from the store - more of a warm weather meal.

From The Splendid Table

Almond Chutney Chicken in Lettuce Roll-Ups
Ingredients:

Chicken Salad:

One 3-pound roasted chicken(take-out works here)
1 medium red onion, cut into 1/4-inch dice
Grated zest of 1 large lemon
Juice of 3 large lemons, or more to taste
2 jalapenos, seeded and minced, or hot sauce to taste
9-ounce jar Major Grey Chutney, cut into bite-size pieces if necessary
1/2 cup mayonnaise
Salt and fresh-ground black pepper to taste
3 large stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 cup whole salted almonds, coarse chopped

Lettuce Cups and Herbs:

1 large head Bibb lettuce, leaves separated, washed and dried
1 large bunch fresh basil, washed and dried
1 large bunch fresh coriander, washed and dried
8 radishes, thin sliced
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced into thin rounds or 2-inch sticks

Method:

Pull the meat from the chicken carcass, discarding the skin and bones. Cut it into bite-sized pieces.
In a large bowl combine the onions, lemon zest and juice, jalapeno, chutney, mayonnaise, salt, and pepper. Fold in the chicken. Taste the mix for lemon, mayonnaise, and herbs, adding more as needed. Let it stand 20 minutes to blend flavors, or refrigerate overnight.
To serve, blend the celery and nuts into the chicken mixture. Mound the salad at one side of a big platter. Pile up the lettuce leaves at the other side, and cluster sprigs of herbs in the center. Tuck the radishes and cucumbers next to the herbs.
Put a few herb leaves in the bottom of a lettuce "cup," top them with a spoonful of the salad, a slice each of radish and cucumber, and roll up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Almond Chutney Chicken in Lettuce Roll-Ups

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here