SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dcarch7

Where Is The Beef? ----( pics heavy & long!!)

This is kind of a spin-off from Lars’s thread “Inherited cattle”
-------------------------------
There are many reasons, which I will not go into, as to why I feel (for me) eating meat is moral and ethical. I also have a lot of respect for those who have other views regarding meat/no meat consumption. One thing we can all agree on is that mistreatment of any animal is not acceptable. The following is some ideas for all to consider, and is not meant to be “preaching”:

More than half of animal meat goes to waste. Perhaps we should consider eating more animal parts like the rest of the world. There are estimates that we only need to kill half as many animals if we also eat other animal parts. Will this will make it much easier to make more resources (real estate, for instance) available for better animal husbandry?
-----------------------------------------
Speaking of saving meat, I have done the following experiments:

Using the same piece of meat cut in half, I made two dishes of “stew”. One dish cooked the normal stew way, and the other sous vide cooked. Obviously, the one with less shrinkage is more juicy and tender.

For stewing beef:

1. Sous vided stew beef :

before cooked, 16.33 oz,
sous vided 13.88 oz, 15.003 % shrinkage (2.45 oz lost)

2. Stewed Beef :

before cooked, 16.21 oz,
stewed 9.43 oz, 41.826 % shrinkage (6.78 oz lost)

#1 - #2 = 4.45 oz, #2 - #1 = 26.83%
---------------------------------------------------------------

Using the same batch of pre-made corned beef with all fat completely removed.

For corned beef:

1. Sous vided corned beef :

before, 29.98 oz,
sous vided 19.73 oz 34.19 % shrinkage (10.25 oz lost)

2. Boiled corned beef :

before, 29.84 oz,
boiled, 14.42 oz, 51.68% shrinkage (15.42 oz lost)

#1 - #2 = 5.31 oz, #2 - #1 = 17.49%

Not even talking about juicier meat, more tender meat, and money saved enjoying cheaper cuts of meat, if you do the math, 40 million heads of cattles are killed in the US each year, how many will not be needed to be killed? The same goes for pigs, chickens, and lamb.

dcarch

Sous vided beef

Regular stewed beef

Sous vided corn beef, Very tender, pulled pork style, no need to against-grain thin cut.

Comments (5)