Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
March 14 - Pi Day

Posted by bbstx (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 20:06

Tomorrow is Pi Day (3.14)! I'm thinking about a quiche or a meatloaf pie for the main course, and butterscotch pie for dessert. So, what kind of pie are you making?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: March 14 - Pi Day

Love it! My sister has a pie plate with pi on it! Now I'll have to figure out pie for tomorrow!

o

• Posted by arley 7b/8a SC (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 21:48

And if you really want to remember pi to 30 decimal places, just memorize this admittedly silly poem:

Sir, I send a rhyme excelling,
In sacred truth and rigid spelling,
Numerical sprites elucidate,
For me the lexicon's full weight,
If nature gain, who can complain,
Tho' Dr Johnson fulminate

Count the letters in each word and you end up with

Now other than for a few Sheldon Cooper-type scientists, such knowledge beyond 3.1416 has no practical use. Still, if you're at a nerd convention and someone asks you...

This post was edited by arley on Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 21:49

o

Love it, Arley!

o

I don't think I can remember that poem (maybe the first two lines), but I do use Pi to five decimal places at work when calculating dimensions for model pieces that I am making. I also created a Pi measuring tape for myself with all the measurements being multiples of Pi. When I use it to measure the circumference of something, the measurement I read will be the diameter, and so it is a quick way to get that information.

I have the ingredients to make a lime pie, but I won't be doing that until this week-end.

Lars

o

I had to make 4 pies in my pi plates! I almost for got to order another pi plate in time for this year. Last year, Matthew was so enamored with his math teacher, he told her she could have the pi plate!! I realized last week I only had 3...so rush ordered one and it arrived Tuesday night! Whew.

All chocolate pies this year. Two of the classes are having a best pie contest. Michael's class, my senior, is having a contest to see who can say pi to the most decimal places. He can only go to 20 or so...says there are a couple of kids who can go to 50! Sheesh! Back in the day, I could get to 20, maybe 25, but never 50! We're all math nerds. Arley...I'm with Lars, not sure I could remember that poem....but how cool!

o

This is my standard T-shirt for today.....but no pies for us, we are dieting (15 lbs later I'm almost a MILF lol)

Here is a link that might be useful: Woot 'reflections on pi' t-shirt

o

Here's another t-shirt about pi

Here is a link that might be useful: Pi t shirt

o

Hadn't seen that one, Arley. Love it.

In two years, pi day will be 3.14.15! (It's 3.14159....)

o

My calculus teacher in high school wrote this poem/cheer up on the board regarding Pi, and all I can remember of it was this:

secant tangent cosine sine
e to the x, dy/dx
to hell with football, we want sex!

There was more to it, at the beginning, more math stuff I'm sure. Due to that, I always remember pi to 5 places.

Sadly, I won't be having any pie today. But I will be having sushi for lunch!!

o

Oh, dear, I forgot. I have a tart shell ready made in the freezer. Would that count if I can come up with a filling? Maybe I'll just call it pi anyway.

Sally

o

We were gone most of the day yesterday and I didn't see this thread until late afternoon.

Had all the ingredients for an apple pie so that is what I made. Used the recipe here, but substituted Greek Yogurt for the sour cream.

o

Posted by arley -"Here's another t-shirt about pi
Here is a link that might be useful: Pi t shirt"

"Prime" example of geek humor. :-)

dcarch

o

dcarch, they used to have a t-shirt of Werner Heisenberg at a traffic stop...now they just have this mug. (second from top)

I also like the Schroedinger's cat mug.

Here is a link that might be useful: Heisenberg mug

o

I love physics jokes.

If I am to make one up now for Werner Heisenberg at a traffic stop -----

"Officer, how fast was I going? Well the RED traffic light in front of me was blue, and the Green light behind me was Red."*

dcarch :-)

* Light wave color theory and the theory of the Dopler Effect. Werner Heisenberg was going near the speed of light. :-)

This post was edited by dcarch on Fri, Mar 15, 13 at 13:41

o

No pie for us but Ann your pie looks beautiful. Very nice picture.

o

Reminds me of Justin's old joke about the kid home from college and the father asked him what he's learning and the kid replies algebra. Father says "OK talk some algebra to me." Son tries to tell him it's not something you just speak it's math and the father says I paid all this money to send you there now talk some algebra to me right now or you're not going back. So the kid replies, OK Pi(r2). Father smacks him in the face and says "Shame on you for wasting all that money. You've been skipping classes. Everybody knows pie are ROUND! CORNBREAD are square!

And having southern relatives, it just is a bit more amusing to me than to most perhaps.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here