SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lsr2002

Easy! Pressure Cooker Small Batch Marmalade

lsr2002
12 years ago

I just tried a new marmalade recipe from hippressurecooking.com, one of my favorite sites for new ways to use pressure cookers. This recipe is great because it has just a few easy steps, no precooking and draining the peel, and flexible ingredients and amounts. Any type of citrus fruit can be used, I used Meyer Lemons, 410 gm, shredded ginger 15 gm (next time I'll double the ginger) and sugar 800 gm. I used about 3/4 cup of water, next time for this amount, I'll cut it back to half a cup in my 4 liter pressure cooker.

Lemon and ginger in the pot ready for 8 minutes of cooking at high pressure - I cut the time back to 8 minutes (instead of ten minutes in the recipe) because Meyer lemons have such thin and tender peel.

Here the peel has been pressure cooked, the sugar stirred in, the seeds added in a tea ball and cooked to 210 degrees, a little lower than the recipe indicates because of my altitude.

And the finished marmalade - four jars ranging from four ounces for the smallest to twelve ounces for the largest. I used these jars because I like the shapes.

The flavor is fresh and fruity, due I'm sure to the brief cooking. When I made Meyer Lemon marmalade a year or so ago, I had to cook it a lot longer to get it to set and the pieces of peel became very tough. This batch was a great success.

I like that it can be made with whatever amount of fruit you want to use and that the sugar is simple proportional to the weight of peel. We don't get oranges that are good for marmalade here but I plan to try a lemon and Mexican lime combination.

I'm not copying the recipe here, because there are many variables, the type and amount of fruit and the amount of sugar, the link is below.

Lee

Here is a link that might be useful: Super-Fast Lemon Marmalade under pressure

Comments (11)