Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Now that you've cooked a delicious meal - help me with new dishes

Posted by loves2cook4six (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 10, 13 at 18:53

I like a simple all white dish that let's the food take center stage. I'd prefer smaller rather than larger plates and especially bowls

We've been using square plates and bowls from C&B but they're chipping, cracking and breaking in half and we're running out.

It will be used for everyday meals as well as parties. I need 24 place settings so budget is definitely a concern.

Help?

ann_t if you read this, what dishes are in your first WFD post in the last thread? I like the shape.

So far I'm leaning to these from West Elm

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic dishes from West Elm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Now that you've cooked a delicious meal - help me with new di

PB has their "Caterers" pieces that come in boxes of twelve. They've got dishes, glasses, napkins, etc. in the same line. They aren't "organic" shapes but they are white and easy to replace if you break one. Search the site for "Caterers" and the entire collection will come up.

/tricia

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Caterers Pack

o

DD is getting married and has picked out Wickford by Kate Spade (Lenox) as her everyday dishes. It is plain white porcelain with a raised pattern on the rim. I believe porcelain is a little more chip resistant than pottery or stoneware, but less chip resistant than bone china.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kate Spade Wickford

o

I just bought corelle in winter frost. I need light weight and durable in my house.

o

I am also a lover of corelle. They are so light and easy to store in my cabinets. I love their light weight especially when I empty the dishwasher!
Joann

o

I have a set for 12 of some kind of white Pfaltzgraf, Elery bought it after Christmas on clearance for $49.00.

It's white. (shrug) I had some really ugly brown square plates, so I was glad to be rid of them.

I really like FiestaWare, and it comes in ivory, but I don't think it really comes in white.

Annit

o

I have a set for 12 of some kind of white Pfaltzgraf, Elery bought it after Christmas on clearance for $49.00.

It's white. (shrug) I had some really ugly brown square plates, so I was glad to be rid of them.

I really like FiestaWare, and it comes in ivory, but I don't think it really comes in white.

Annit

o

I'm looking for the same thing. Those organic shapes are cool, but I suspect they aren't too sturdy somehow. I've been leaning toward white Corelle too.

o

Try a restaurant supply store. They often have white or off-white dishes at great prices.

o

I LOVE those Kate Spade dishes but they, and the Apilco ones I covet from WS are just way out of my budget for everyday dishes.

I'd love to go to a restaurant supply store. Maybe I'll have to organize a Chicago get together and go with friends.

o

I have white Pfaltzgraff, used to have Heritage but sold that after 20 years and got Filigree. The stuff made in Asia isn't as white or as durable as the old USA-made stoneware. But it all gets gray marks from silverware, and the glaze crazes if you let it soak in the sink (unglazed bottoms) to wash and then some point later put it in the microwave - my cousin actually had some of her old plates crack in half! I also suspect some of my coffee cups are crazing b/c DS and DH pour boiling water in to make tea.

Restaurant supply sounds like a good idea - restaurants have to have durable dishes.

I like Corelle - again. not sure about the new stuff, but it's glass and if it does break it will shatter into tiny shards. Just something to think about if you have a tile floor. My mom just got rid of her old Pfaltzgraff, I got her Corelle at Goodwill and she really likes the lightweight (and she has vinyl kitchen floor).

o

You can't beat IKEA for price and variety and attractive options. There is even more in the store if you go in.

Here is a link that might be useful: IKEA dinnerware

o

But if you want make sure you can replace broken pieces and add new ones this is a bit similar to the West Elm dishes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Villeroy and Boch Cottage Basic

o

I, too, have the plain white winter frost Corelle. It's lightweight and kind of thin so it doesn't take up much room in the cabinet. A stack of Corelle is shorter in height than others. Very practical for me. Durable. Not dirt cheap, though cheap enough. I HATE cleaning broken dishes.

o

How about this one?

Here is a link that might be useful: Macy's Sale

This post was edited by jxbrown on Mon, Mar 11, 13 at 0:35

o

I needed additional dishes before the holidays and bought these in Nov, description said fired hotter and more resistant to breakage...sent for three 24-piece services (6 place settings x 3 for 18 place settings).

The mugs at 10 oz might have been a better size if they'd been 12 oz, but I have many larger clear glass coffee mugs from a restaurant supply for those times people want a man sized cuppa coffee.

They seem to fit the description (workhorses :)) although I haven't had them that many weeks, but I have to tell you I didn't pay the $208.80, or the $129.95 either. They were $69.95 per service and shipping was free. I don't know how often they are discounted that deeply.

We'd moved and I had room finally for my table with all its leaves in place, much more kitchen cabinetry, and was on the hunt for several things - signed up for their email notices. These were one of the first email sale offers I received.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sur la Table Bistro dinnerware

o

I've had the plain white corelle for over 30 years and I love it. They work in the dishwasher and microwave and feel and look great. They have continued the pattern and have added many more elements to it like rice bowls and various other sizes and shapes of bowls, plates and mugs. Further, if any of them chip, break, craze or anything else, I just bring the bad ones to the corning outlet and they replace them, no charge. They go with everything. And if I think it's too boring for the table, I mix and match with other china that will go. I just did the table up this season using a white tablecloth with the white dishes on gold chargers, brass napkin rings with white napkins, white candles in brass candlesticks and it looked great...I could then use whatever color flowers I wanted and they all went...deep purple tulips for winter, daffodils now as spring is approaching....

o

I got an email saying Pottery Barn Caterer's 12 piece dinnerware set ships for free. Don't see an ending date.

Here is a link that might be useful: PB Caterer's dinnerware set w/ free shipping

o

There is currently another thread on this same subject in Kitchens. Here's the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: White dinnerware thread in Kitchens

o

I'd jump on the PB Caterer's with free shipping. Wonder if that includes the glassware and flatware too? Worth it anyway even if it's just free shipping on the heavy stuff.

o

I can't offer any suggestions for basic dishes but could someone please explain what factors qualify dishes as the term "organic"? I haven't seen that phrase used in conjunction with dishes before. Thanks.

o

In this context, it may mean sort of free form or wavy, rather than rectilinear or geometric and regular.

o

Loves2cook,
Please do let us know what you choose, why you chose it, and how you like it.

o

"----I can't offer any suggestions for basic dishes but could someone please explain what factors qualify dishes as the term "organic"?---"

"organic" is incorrect use of the term.

Biomorphic is the correct one.

dcarch

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here