SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pat_t_gw

Sauces/Toppings for Ice Cream?

pat_t
14 years ago

Here's my latest favorite. It was a topping for a fresh apple cake and I thought it would be best served on vanilla ice cream. I was right.

BUTTER PECAN SAUCE

1/4 cup butter

1/2 cup pecan halves

3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar

1/4 cup heavy cream

1/4 cup corn syrup

1/8 tsp. rum or vanilla extract

Melt butter in small saucepan; add pecans. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until nuts are toasted, about 1 minute. Mix in brown sugar, cream and corn syrup. Bring to a rolling boil; cook about 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; blend in rum or vanilla extract. Cool until thickened.

Do you have any favorites you'd like to share?

Comments (27)

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

Oh my! That sounds just wonderful. I'll be trying that one very soon!

Here are two posted by forum mrmbers to go with other desserts. I like them on those desserts, but I also love them on ice cream!

The first on is Sol's...goes with her recipe for Torta Caprese.

Oh-Merciful-Heavens-Hot-Fudge Sauce

6 tablespoons unsalted butter
    1 cup heavy cream (whipping cream)
    1 cup light brown sugar, packed
    3 tablespoons light corn syrup
    1 cup sifted cocoa
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    1/4 teaspoon salt

In a large saucepan, heat the butter and cream over medium heat until the butter is melted and small bubbles form around the edge of the pan.

Whisk in brown sugar and corn syrup. Continue to cook until the mixture is smooth and no grains of sugar remain. Add the cocoa, vanilla and salt. Whisk again until smooth. Strain mixture through a fine sieve. The sauce will keep for several weeks.

And this one is from Ann T....goes with her Bread & Butter Pudding. Caramel Sauce 1 cup butter 1 cup sugar 1 cup brown sugar 1 cup cream pinch of salt 2 teaspoons vanilla Bring butter, sugars, cream and salt to a boil and then simmer for 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat and add the vanilla. Linda
  • angelaid
    14 years ago

My favorite ice cream topping is just walnuts coated with maple syrup.

• Related Discussions

Sorbets, ices and ice creams

Q

Comments (10)
    When my father went through chemo he lost weight as if it were falling off him. The chemo dulled his appetite to the point that he didn't want to eat anything. I'd imagine George is experiencing something like this: He probably just can't bring himself to eat right now. It has nothing to do with what his priorities "ought" to be. If I were Leone (hi, Leone!) I'd be "into" anything that helps George put the weight back on. Those sorbet and ice cream experiments sound fab to me. Wouldn't mind having a sample of all of them right now! Karen
    ...See More

Al's gritty mix as an ice cream topping

Q

Comments (30)
    Amanzed, I don't know about pore size...that could very well be true. I did a couple of experiments with water absorption of Napa vs. perlite (I guess that should be aDsorption?) and the Napa took up about twice as much water as Perlite, either pure Napa or mixed 50/50 with soil. I didn't try pumice. I'm guessing that one important factor is how long the substrate is exposed to water. I always water my plants twice, so the soil is thoroughly saturated. Since many of my plants are shrubby Euphorbias, more from arid to semi-arid forests rather than anything resembling desert conditions, my guess is that they enjoy the slow release of moisture. I get where you're going with the "systemic" thing, but I wash the 8822 thoroughly. Having said that, other than some mealy bugs before I started using 8822, I've never had any insect pests on my Euphorbias. That's the least of my worries :) -R
    ...See More

Photo--Ice cream recipe from teresa_nc's swap box

Q

Comments (8)
    Oh, my! That sounds like a wonderful combination. You've really put that great summer package to good use. Sanders brings back such good memories for me. Growing up in Detroit, my Aunt Bernice used to take me on the bus Downtown to Hudson's department store. We'd always end our day with a hot fudge sundae or cream puffs topped with hot fudge or caramel sauce (Sanders of course!). Ann
    ...See More

RECIPE: Ice Cream Treasures

Q

Comments (3)
    Thank you, thank you, thank you! This has my name written all over it :-)
    ...See More
  • kframe19
    14 years ago

My favorite is Blueberry.

Next favorite is peach.

• ann_t
    14 years ago

I made two versions of this hot fudge sauce recently. One with Semi Sweet Chocolate and the other with Callebaut White Chocolate.

Wonderful served over a warm brownie topped with ice cream.

Home Cookin Chapter: Recipes From Thibeault's Table

Hot Fudge Sauce
    ===============

Source: from Baking, from my Home to Yours

1/2 stick unsalted butter, cut in 8 pieces
    6 ounces finely chopped semisweet chocolate
    3/4 cup heavy cream
    3 tbsp light corn syrup
    2 tbsp sugar
    1/4 tsp salt

Melt butter and chocolate in microwave on medium. Stir until chocolate mixture is smooth. Be careful not to over heat.

Bring cream, corn syrup, sugar and salt to a boil and cook for 1 minute.
    Pour about 1/2 cream mixture over chocolate, stirring until smooth. Add remaining cream mixture, stirring well. Let the sauce cool slightly before using.

Sauce will keep in the fridge for 3 or 4 weeks.

Can be made with quality white chocolate.

• althetrainer
    14 years ago

We seldom use sauce on our ice cream. When I do homemade ice cream, I like to melt some chocolate, drizzle over the top of ice cream then sprinkle some chopped nuts. That's how we like it.

Al

• cookie8
    14 years ago

Here is the DQ hardened shell sauce. It worked out very well when I made it.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.recipezaar.com/Hard-Chocolate-Sauce-Dairy-Queen-Style-151189

• Lars
    14 years ago

Instead of sauce, I add Frangelico or Amaretto. When I make ice cream, I generally put all the flavors I want in the recipe, including the Frangelico, which I sometimes add near the end of freezing. The one flavor of ice cream that I intensely dislike is butter pecan, which unfortunately was very popular in Texas. I love pecans and I like pecan pie, but the butter flavor throws it off for me. (I would like butter pecan with apple pie, however.) The only nuts I like in ice cream are hazelnuts and almonds, and I add one of those to chocolate ice cream when I make that.

There are other liqueurs that I like with ice cream, including coffee and coconut. For me, ice cream is plenty sweet without sauce, which is probably why I don't use it, but I do like to add liqueurs that are sweet.

Lars

• magothyrivergirl
    14 years ago

Lars, you beat me to it - Amaretto or Frangelico - yum! Try either with angel food cake torn up pieces, vanilla ice cream, and topped with your favorite.

• bri29
    14 years ago

My current favorite is to put fig balsamic over the top of vanilla ice cream. Oh my. :) I don't really like chocolate, so balsamic it is! A friend went to Pike's Place in Seattle a couple weeks ago and came home with a fabulous balsamic that's really thick and syrupy, it's heaven. Of course, she wouldn't let me steal the bottle, but she let me have a little.

• pat_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Bri - fig balsamic? Really? Must try that.

Thanks for all your replies.

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Pecans, heavy cream and brown sugar, isn't that what dreams are made of? Pat, your recipe kicks hiney. Thanks for your recipe!

Linda, thank you very kindly for taking the time to post the fudge sauce recipe with the crazy title! What kind of lunatic came up with that name? ... :-Ã

We prefer this fudge sauce precisely because it stays soft when poured over ice cream. This is what it looks like; sorry, it's an old photo. The ice cream here was homemade coconut ice cream, but this sauce marries well with just about any ice cream.

Btw, I can't remember where I first heard about this (I'm guessing the idea might've come from cookbook author Joanne Weir), in any case, a few years ago, I stumbled onto the suggestion of pouring a shot of espresso over ice cream. That has become another favorite.
    I also like certain liqueurs with ice cream, like Kahlua over chocolate or coffee ice cream, Grand Marnier over...just about anything, and Chambord with vanilla ice cream, an a few fresh berries.

Sol

• mustangs81
    14 years ago

You just had to start this thread!!!! I have been scrolling by because Ice Cream with rich toppings is my sneak-snack.

I've captured some good recipes here, thanks--I guess.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

I made these once:

Crêpes Grand Marnier Flambé with Vanilla Ice Cream and Raspberry Sauce

Recipe for Raspberry Sauce:
    ---------------------------------

Ingredients:

12 ounces frozen unsweetened raspberries (about 2 cups)
    1/4 cup sugar, or more to taste
    1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice

To make:
    Let raspberries stand for 30 minutes at room temperature until partially thawed (semi-frozen puree is easier to press through a sieve). Puree in a blender or food processor with sugar and lemon juice. Pass puree through a fine sieve set over a bowl.
    Makes about 1 cup.

Per tablespoon: 22 calories, 0 g total fat (0 g sat, 0 g mono); 0 mg cholesterol; 5 g carbohydrate; 0 g protein; 1 g fiber; 0 mg sodium.

Source: Eating Well

SharonCb

• pat_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Only ONCE Sharon? Jeez - I LOVE crepes. But I think they're a colossal PITA to make. Thanks for making me drool, though.

• canarybird01
    14 years ago

Oh Pat I make crepes often. Just haven't bothered with making the sauce and buying Grand Marnier lately (LOL).

I have a nice new little non-stick crepe pan and they take only a few minutes to make but I like having them with savoury fillings.

My never-fail crepe recipe:

CRÃPE MIXTURE - makes 8 - 10 medium-sized crêpes in 7 inch pan
    -------------------------------------------------------

1/2 cup plus 1/8 cup milk
    1/2 cup plus 1/8 cup water
    4 oz flour (just slightly under 1 cup)
    2 eggs
    salt & pepper

Mix well with beater and put in fridge for one hour.

Use cotton ball soaked in oil to moisten pan before each crêpe. (Use metal tongs to hold cotton.)

Use ladle to scoop up the right amount of batter for each crêpe, pour into hot pan and swirl at the same time to cover pan evenly.

Use metal spatula or thin knife to loosen around edge after a minute when bottom side is done.

Use metal spatula to lift and flip crêpe to brown a few seconds on reverse side.

SharonCb

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

I like a big spoonful of Raspberry Freezer jam on my ice cream.

I make AnnT's caramel Sauce too..

Lori's Butter Rum Glaze for her Vanilla Cakelets is good on ice cream too. I've used Bourbon for the Rum too.

Glaze
    1/2 cup granulated sugar
    1/4 cup butter
    1-1/2 tablespoons water
    pinch of salt
    2 tablespoons dark rum
    Make glaze: Put sugar, butter, water, vanilla pod, and salt to small saucepan. Stirring constantly, bring to boil. Reduce heat to low, and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and stir in rum. Remove pod when ready to pour over cakes.

Here's an easy chocolate sauce. It's more like Hershey's than anything I've found. My middle kid goes through a pint a month!! Between ice cream and milk.

Chocolate Syrup
    1 c cocoa
    1 1/2 c sugar
    1/4 t salt
    1 1/2c water
    1-2 t vanilla extract
    Mix cocoa and water in a saucepan. Heat and stir to dissolve the cocoa. Add the sugar and stir to dissolve. Boil for 3 minutes over medium heat. Add the salt and vanilla. Let Cool. Pour into a sterile glass jar and store in the refrigerator. Keeps several months.

I've also made a Salted Caramel Sauce recently..

Here is a link that might be useful: Salted Caramel Sauce

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

I'm craving ice cream big time now Pat!!

I loved those dipped cones from DQ back in the day...it's been years since I've had one. We don't have DQ's here anymore.

I love this stuff straight from the jar, on ice cream, waffles, or pancakes. I've been canning a dozen or more jars of this yummy treat every year since Canny Camp.

Thanks Katie and all y'all for the recipe posted above!

Praline Syrup - KatieC

Recipe By : Katie, from the Ball Blue book
    Serving Size : 0 Preparation Time :0:00
    Categories :

Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
    -------- ------------ --------------------------------
    2 cups dark corn syrup
    1/3 cup dark brown sugar
    1/2 cup water
    1 cup pecan pieces -- (I used more)
    1/2 teaspoon vanilla -- (I used 1 tsp.)

Bring syrup, sugar and water to a boil over medium heat. Boil one minute. Remove from heat; stir in pecans and vanilla.

Pour into hot jars, leaving 1/4" head space. Wipe rims, adjust two-piece lids. Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes at 0-1000 ft., 15 minutes at 1001-3000 ft., 20 minutes 3001-6000 ft.

Makes about four 1/2 pint jars.

Source:
    "Ball Blue Book"
    Copyright:
    "1991"

David

• pat_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sharon - thanks for the crepe recipe. Takes me instantly back to "Crepe Day" in pastry class. With the "Mad Hungarian" screaming at us and showing us how to bang the pan on the stove to loosen the crepe to keep in moving.

Terri - thanks for those recipes. Duly noted & stored.

David, David, David......if you were here, I'd take you for a chocolate dip cone at the DQ - I took my Mom & daughter this past Saturday night and that's exactly what we all had. Aren't you outside of Tulsa? No DQ's up that way any more? I used to spend summers in Keystone & Cleveland with cousins. Many fond memories... That praline syrup sounds right up my alley. Thanks!

• Rusty
    14 years ago

A bit of Creme de Menthe is really good on either vanilla or chocolate ice cream.

Rusty

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Pat, I asked around the office today and the only DQ here in the Tulsa Metro is a combo with Orange Julious(sp) in the big mall. I don't do the big mall very often and I think it's a new thing. I've had some good times out at Keystone back in the day. One of my sales reps lives in Mannford, same area as Cleveland and she said no DQ's to be found. There are some in other smaller towns around the state though.

There is a chance I might be in Dustin sometime in the next year or so. A friend has an Aunt who owns a rental on the beach that we would like to go to and chill out for a long weekend. Not sure how far you are from there but if you are close we will have to get together. It would be great to meet you and have a drink or a DQ!

David

• maureen_me
    14 years ago

I keep waiting for someone else to mention Wet Nuts, but I guess it's up to me. This seems to be mainly a New York/New Jersey thing. I've seen them for sale in the supermarket. I can't remember who markets them, one of the toppings companies--but it's a ridiculously small jar for a ridiculously high price, considering what it is. I tried making them myself last year, and the recipe was close but not perfect. I'm still looking.

Oh, I forgot to say what they are. Walnuts in a walnut-flavored sugar syrup. Sweet enough to make your eyes water, but very nostalgic if you grew up with them. Besides, you get to say, "I'd like wet nuts on that," when you order your ice cream.

• hawk307
    14 years ago

I usually only use a topping when I do a Belgium Style, using double regular thickness Waffles.

On top there are 2 scoops of Vanilla Ice Cream

I put Chocolate Syrup over that and Strawberry Preserves, topped with whipped cream.

In between there are Banana's and Peaches W. Vanilla Ice Cream

What the hey! Go for broke.
    Lou

• Terri_PacNW
    14 years ago

Lou, everytime I see your waffle sundae shot. I get a belly ache..LOL...only because that's alot of goodness to eat in one sitting..

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

I love wet nuts Maureen, they are my favorite.

Here's a great fudge sauce:

Posted by lorijean44 (My Page) on
    Mon, Feb 26, 07 at 8:31

My grandmother's hot fudge sauce is THE best hot fudge sauce ever! :-) And it's very easy:

Grandma Jane's Hot Fudge Sauce

In the top of a double-boiler (or over a very low flame in a 1-quart saucepan), stir together:

1/2 cup undiluted evaporated milk (or cream, if you're feeling decadent)
    2/3 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons butter
    2 ounces semi-sweet chocolate

Cook and stir until sugar dissolves - mixture will be shiny and smooth. Add:

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

This definitely thickens as it cools. It's GREAT over ice cream!!

Lori

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    14 years ago

Here is the fudge sauce I like best for buffets and small crock pots. Thick and fudgey.
    This is great and so easy.

Hot Fudge Sauce
    from allrecipes

Ingredients

* 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
    * 4 (1 ounce) squares semisweet chocolate- I use choc. chips
    * 2 tablespoons butter (no substitutes)
    * 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

1. In a heavy saucepan, combine the milk, chocolate and butter. Cook and stir over medium-low heat until chocolate is melted. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
  • pat_t
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I made Sol's hot fudge sauce Wed. night - WOWEE!!! Is it every chocolate-y. My Mom thought it was "too much". Ummmm... what exactly does that mean? LOL

Thanks to everyone for all the recipes. I'll eventually get around to trying them all. When I recover from Sol's fudge sauce, that is.

David - I'm about 50 miles from Destin. But the possibility exists! Let me know when you'll be there...

• Solsthumper
    14 years ago

Pat, I hope you have recovered!

Chocolate, in any form, will always be a favorite, unless proven otherwise...yeah, like that's ever gonna happen [G]

All the toppings sound pretty amazing. Bri's Fig Balsamic also got my attention. I've had balsamic vinegar over strawberries before, but that was the extent of it.
    So many good ideas here, you know I've saved this thread.

Sol