SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
foodonastump

Garlic confit - safety question

foodonastump
11 years ago

I'm making a recipe that calls for garlic confit, and a recipe for the confit is included which calls for the garlic and oil to be put in a canning jar with rosemary and thyme and then the closed jar pressure cooked for two hours in an inch of water. I don't have a pressure cooker so I looked up other recipes, of which there are no shortage. Most suggest cooking it stovetop over non-specific "low heat" until the garlic is soft, which seems to take in the neighborhood of an hour.

Now comes the obvious question about botulism. All of the recipes I saw said it keeps in the fridge for periods ranging from a week to a month. One advised "always use a clean spoon" but other than that there were no warnings at all. These are all mainstream sources such as Bon Appetit (via Epicurious), Saveur, Food and Wine, etc.

I'm not concerned because I'm making a small batch which will be refrigerated and used tomorrow. I saw one article on a CO State Extension that suggests adding a Tbsp of lemon juice per cup of oil while cooking. That article also included a disclaimer that they weren't guaranteeing it to be safe.

So, what say the Safety Police?

Here is a link that might be useful: Colo State Ext

Comments (15)