Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Source for tomato powder?

Posted by kitchendetective (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 22, 14 at 18:18

Would you mind sharing where you purchase or order tomato powder? I am almost finished with the little I have and do not recall where I purchased it. The market that I thought would carry it does not. Do you have a favorite brand and/or source?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Source for tomato powder?

Penzey's???

jude

o

Hello, Jude, I'm glad to see you again! How is the hubs doing?

I bought some at The Spice House, I don't think Penzey's has it. I will caution you, though, it has to be stored correctly (in the refrigerator, I think), or it will turn into a big chunk of tomato cement. I threw mine away, it couldn't even be chipped out of the jar. I tried covering it with water to make paste, but that didn't work either.

So, don't buy more than you can successfully keep!

Annie

o

Amazon has it also.

o

Gosh, mine didn't clump at all. It's in a plastic jar. However, I didn't get that much because I wasn't sure that I'd use it, but I have used it a lot. Maybe it has an anti-caking agent, but it wasn't supposed to have anything but tomato in it. I think you can freeze it, but mine is just in the pantry. Nearest Penzey's does not have it, nor online, as far as I can tell.

o

Nope, as I said, my Penzey's doesn't carry it, but their "sister" business, The Spice House, did. Mine wasn't a very big bottle but I just didn't use it very much. (shrug) It sat for maybe two months in the cupboard in the glass jar, and turned into a rock. I'd never used it before, and I didn't find it useful enough to buy any more, so although I'm sure you can probably get it from lots of places, I'm no help with any other brands or sources.

I know someone else here was also complaining that theirs turned hard and they couldn't use it....

Annie

o

I got mine at Harmony House, and I also recommend buying small quantities, due to the clumping factor. They have a lot of other dried vegetables, and I did like their mushrooms, although I normally buy those at a Japanese market. I bought the mixed vegetables and used those for soup.

Lars

o

For a variety of smaller amounts - The Spice House.

1/2 cup shaker jar, net wt. 3.5 oz. - $4.99
1 cup shaker jar, net wt. 7 oz. - $8.99
2 cup spoon-out jar, net wt. 14 oz. - $15.99

Home Food Storage:
Emergency Essentials has two sizes:
-MyChoice™ Tomato Powder - 17 oz.- $8.50 ($.37 per ounce)
-Provident Pantry® Tomato Powder - 64 oz. - $22.95 ($.36 per ounce)

Honeyville Grain also carries it in #10 cans, but is out-of-stock just now. The nice thing about ordering from Honeyville Grain is shipping is $4.49 for your entire order.

Augason Farms - #10 can - $29.89 - 3-pounds 10-ounces

Tomato powder clumps due to exposure to moisture.

When purchasing in a 64-oz. (#10 can size) can, place the tomato powder in smaller containers (pint or 1/2-pint jars), and if you have a FoodSaver, vacuum-seal them using the jar sealer attachment. Store the jar you are using from in your refrigerator, which happens to be a dry environment due to the frost-free feature. Otherwise, tomato powder is shelf-stable at room temperature (70-degrees F.) or colder.

When using it, try to avoid letting the container sit open any longer than necessary. If you do have some clumping, you can break it apart with the back of a spoon, or by grating the clumps on a box grater or microplane. Clumping means the contents of the jar were exposed to moisture (from high humidity in the room). You can also add a moisture absorbing "pillow" to the top of the container and that will help prevent clumping. Or make a sachet of rice to place in the top of the container to absorb moisture.

-Grainlady

o

Thank you for all your help. I recall the brand now: Mother Earth Products. I am not finding it, so far, online, though.

Okay, I found it by using a different search engine.

This post was edited by kitchendetective on Sun, Mar 23, 14 at 10:46

o

Annie, thanks for asking about Bob. A blood clot was found in his right leg and he had a tremendous amount of fluid, as well. He went to the hospital for treatment. As it turned out he is in rehab now, hopefully coming home soon. We have a meeting with members of the staff tomorrow so we should find out then.

jude

o

iHerb has a pound bag of Frontier tomato powder for less than $20; buy a few more items and get free shipping.

Teresa

Here is a link that might be useful: Frontier powdered tomato at iHerb

o

I buy my favorite tomato powder from the Savory Spice Shop. They originally started in Denver, but now there are many shops across the country or you can order online. I have attached a link to their web site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Savory Spice Shop

o

And there is one a mile from where I am sitting at this moment! I had no idea!

o

KitchenD - I hope you have time to visit their shop. It is fun to see all the spices and other things they carry. Savory Spice mixes their own blends. Are you in Colorado?

o

Central Texas. I had a great time talking to the manager and picked up some tomato powder. Thank you for the tip.

o

Thanks for the heads up on storage of the powder. I purchased a good amount when Peppi took me to the Spice House in Chicago. I will be buying more online so I will tryout some of the sources recommended.

*Jude, I'm sorry to hear about Bob. I hope he can come home soon. My HG is in the 3rd week (6 weeks total) of hyperbaric chamber therapy; he is not a happy camper. I keep telling him "Michael Jackson slept in one voluntarily."

o

Harmony House is one good option

o

Harmony House is one good option

o

I would be more concerned about where it is sourced and how it is processed.
Where is it from. How is it dehydrated. Or spray dried. That would be processed tomato paste and then air dried at 1000 temp. No spice house has a cute garden out back.
They get big sacks of tomato flour. From a processor in China? Then just put it in containers with cute labels. How else could they afford storefronts with employees.
(5 cent spice in a 20 cent jar with a designer label.)
It is a processed product. And we all know once dehydrated, condensed, is sugar.

I would rather see a full tomato dehydrated, then choose to grind it. I want a spice to be at least in its own shape without the unknown. Who knows the additives. We don't know nor do we have the tax dollars to sit someone at every entry port to test what comes in...

I'm not sure what the use is. I've not really liked tomato paste and have not used it in years. Powered spices in any form is a mystery, and a moneymaker for those that sell it.
I like my spices whole and a 20$ grinder.

Don't mean to be a 'sad-sack-sally' but a container of Canada or US hot house cherry toms cut in half and slow roasted using oven heat from another dish...and a handfull of grapes cut in half...lots of flavor and you know what it is. fridge or freeze.

Use whole foods and wash and processes yourself.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here