Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
On a Soup Kick

Posted by CLBlakey (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:15

I found a recipe a while back for Olive Garden Zoppa Toscana and loved it. I had never made soup from sausage before now I am on a soup kick. I have tried different sausages and different broths from creamed soups to tomato base, beef. My favorite sausage to start with is hot italian. Not so keen on ANDOUILLE.

Just wondering if someone has a favorite soup starter or recipe they would like to share.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: On a Soup Kick

I saw that recipe too, and tried it a couple of weekends ago. I did use the sausage, but had a couple of chicken thighs thawed, so skinned and cut them up and tossed them in as well. We loved it! DH said it was a keeper and printed the recipe out and put it into HIS recipe binder.

We also love Tomato Tortellini Soup, a recipe I found on the Taste of Home website. Now, I normally detest tomato soup (I feel as if I am drinking ketchup), but this recipe defies my dislike. I realize it uses a CAN of tomato soup and many won't bother to look at the recipe because it ain't from scratch, but one nice thing about it is that the soup is done in less than half an hour. And it isn't low-fat (sorry). The only change I have made is that when I toss in the cooked tortellini, I turn the fire off and toss in about a pound of raw shelled (and cut into bite-size pieces) of large shrimp. It only takes a couple of minutes for the shrimp to cook (I hate overcooked and rubbery shrimp).

TOMATO TORTELLINI SOUP

Ingredients

1 package (9 ounces) refrigerated cheese tortellini
2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) reduced-sodium condensed tomato soup, undiluted
2 cups vegetable broth (we prefer to use chicken broth)
2 cups lowfat milk
2 cups half-and-half cream
1/2 cup chopped oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon dried basil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
Additional shredded Parmesan cheese, optional

Directions

Cook tortellini according to package directions.

Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, combine the soup, broth, milk, cream, tomatoes and seasonings. Heat through, stirring frequently. Drain tortellini; carefully add to soup. Stir in cheese. Sprinkle each serving with additional cheese if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).

Here is a link that might be useful: Tomato Tortellini Soup

o

There was a soup thread by booberry posted in the fall of 2011 and it resurfaced last fall also. It had about 85 comments and some really great recipes. What made me think of it was the Tomato Tortellini Soup donna mentions. Doucanoe posted a tortellini soup recipe in booberry's thread. I made it and it was fantastic.

I searched for that thread to no avail! I hope booberry or someone that saved a link to the thread will link it here.

Lot's of good recipes!

Teresa

o

This is the yummiest soup - just great. I normally let this cook in the crockpot all day long - the aroma is mouth watering. The brand names after the ingredients are the brand I like to use. Sooooo, be careful because this is addictive. When you have some, you'll think about it all day.

My Taco Soup
1 1/2 lb. ground beef (or 2 pounds if you like)
1 large onion, chopped
2 cans diced tomatoes with green pepper & onion (DelMonte)
1 can Ro-Tel tomatoes & chilis
1 can hominy
1 can pinto beans (Bush's)
1 can black beans (Bush's or Progresso)
1 can diced green chilis
1 package taco seasoning mix (McCormick's)
1 package Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing mix
Cook beef and onions until meat is browned, drain. Drain all cans except for tomatoes and Ro-Tel. Combine all ingredients in crockpot and cook for 2 - 2.5 hours or until hot. Can also be slowcooked on the stove for 1 hour.
Serving Ideas : Wonderful with cornbread or tortilla chips, cheese, and sour cream.
Can freeze leftovers - for one serving size, freeze in small one-serving containers.

o

Teresa, is it this thread?

Here is a link that might be useful: soup and stew thread

o

Yes Chas - that is it! Thanks for finding it. I will make a point to copy and save the recipes that appealed to me.

What made doucanoe's tortellini soup soooo tasty was the small amount of bloody mary mix!

Teresa

o

I just made this soup recipe this past weekend and it was very good. Recipe orig. posted by Loves2cook4six.

Did some tweaking which I 'm noting at the end of the ingredient list.

Crock Pot Chicken Enchilada Soup
Skinnytaste.com
Servings: 6 • Serving Size: 1 1/2 cups + cheese • Old Points: 5 pts • Points+: 7 pts
Calories: 260.9 • Fat: 6.6 g • Protein: 25.4 g • Carb: 29.9 g • Fiber: 6.7 g • Sugar: 4.1 g
Sodium: 572 mg (without salt)

Ingredients:

• 2 tsp olive oil
• 1/2 cup onion, chopped
• 3 cloves garlic, minced
• 3 cups low sodium fat-free chicken broth
• 8 oz can tomato sauce
• 1-2 tsp chipotle chili in adobo sauce (or more to taste)
• 1/4 cup chopped cilantro (plus more for garnish)
• 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
• 14.5 oz can petite diced tomatoes
• 2 cups frozen corn
• 1 tsp cumin
• 1/2 tsp dried oregano
• 2 8 oz skinless chicken breasts (16 oz total)
• 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for topping
• 3/4 cup shredded reduced fat cheddar cheese
• fat free sour cream (optional)

Tweaks: Substituted thighs for the breasts. Chopped jalepenos instead of canned chipotle, 1/2 the amount of cumin, 1 T. chili powder for a double batch, omitted the oregano because I forgot to add it, added about three carrots, sliced, and tore up 5-6 corn tortillas & tossed them into the bubbling soup. Continued cooking until the tortillas melted away & thickened the soup. Was too lazy to go to the basement & fetch massa out of the refrigerator down there, hence using the tortillas. The soup was kinda' thin, still, and wasn't enough massa flavor to suit me. Next time, I'll use massa instead.

Directions:

Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté until soft, 3-4 minutes. Slowly add the chicken broth, tomato sauce and chipotle adobo sauce and bring to a boil. Add cilantro and remove from heat. Pour into crock pot.

To the crockpot, add drained beans, diced tomatoes, corn, cumin, oregano and stir.Add the chicken breasts; cover and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours.

Remove chicken and shred with two forks. Add chicken back into the soup, adjust salt and cumin to taste. Serve in bowls and top with fat free sour cream, cheese, scallions and cilantro. You can also top with avocado or crushed tortilla chips. Enjoy!

o

Donna- I never let a full fat soup stop me -but i'll only add the shrimp to hubby's.

Walnut Creek - sound like just the kind of recipe i am looking for one with a memory I love those kind. Can you taste it now?LOL

Thanks Chas for the link- every good soup has that secret ingredient can't wait to find that recipe.

Ci-lantro- Thanks for the re-post I got that one but nice to keep all the soup stuff together.

off to read that other thread Thanks All

o

I have been meaning to make that Olive Garden recipe, too. Maybe next week....

Definitely going to try the Taco Soup and the Enchilada Soup, thanks for sharing those recipes!

Teresa, glad you like the Tomato Bisque With Tortellini, it's one of my favorites and I think my daughter-in-law could eat a pot of it by herself she loves it so much! LOL

Linda

o

This is my version of tomato soup, packs in a lot of flavor.

Chop 1 medium onion and 6 sun dried tomatos packed in oil in a deep pan (may need to add a little more oil) until soft. Add 2 cans of petit diced tomatos. Puree with stick blender or food processor until smooth. Add buttermilk or yogurt to desired consistency.

o

ooooh, would someone please post the Olive Garden Zuppa Tuscana recipe, please?

o

I often make the basic Olive Garden Tuscana Soup. Very Simple, almost nothing in it. My recipe is from "Top secret restaurant recipes" by Todd Wilbur

3C chicken stock or broth
1 medium russet potato peeled and small cubed
2 C chopped kale
1/2 # spicy Italian sausage grilled or saute then sliced
1/4 t crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 t salt
1/4 C heavy cream

Directions indicate simmer everything for two hours. I leave out the cream until the end when I am watching closely so it doesn't boil and separate. That is probably too much kale to actually match the look of the Olive Garden.

o

I'd have to say that soup is my favorite food to cook. Here are two more that use sauasage as a main ingredient.

EGGPLANT SOUP (serves 10-12)

2 TBL olive oil
2 TBL butter
1 medium onion, chopped
1 lb lean ground chuck - *
1 medium eggplant, peeled & cubed
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 cup finely sliced carrots
1 cup chopped celery
Two 16 oz cans whole tomatoes
3 1/2 cups beef broth
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 cup macaroni
2 TBL minced parsley
Parmesan for garnish

Heat the oil & butter in a 6-8 qt Dutch oven. Add the onion & saute until lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the meat & cook, stirring until it begins to brown. Add the eggplant, garlic, carrots, celery, tomatoes (break up the tomatoes), broth, nutmeg, sugar, salt & pepper. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, cover & simmer 2 1/2 hours.
10-15 minutes before serving, add the macaroni & parsley to the soup & simmer until the macaroni is tender. Serve hot sprinkled with Parmesan.~~

Recipe from Ginger @ Recipe Exchange

* - I use 1 lb. of sweet Italian sausage with the casings removed instead of the ground chuck and omit the butter.

photo Lambsoup.jpg

SAUSAGE CABBAGE SOUP

1 medium onion, chopped
1 Tbsp. vegetable oil
1 Tbsp. butter or margarine
2 medium carrots, halved and thinly sliced
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
1/ 2 tsp. caraway seeds
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup water
2 cups chopped cabbage
½ pound fully cooked smoked kielbasa, quartered and cut into 1/4 inch slices
1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
1 Tbsp. brown sugar
1 can (15 ounces) white kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1 tsp. vinegar
Salt and pepper to taste
minced fresh parsley (optional)

In a 3-qt. Saucepan, saute onion and celery in oil and butter until almost tender. Add carrots, caraway seeds, broth, water, cabbage, sausage, tomatoes, and brown sugar; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 35-30 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add beans, vinegar, salt and pepper. Simmer, uncovered, for 5-10 minutes or until heated through. Sprinkle with parsley.
Yield: 6 servings.

photo Kielbasa.jpg

This post was edited by ruthanna on Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 18:39

o

Yum!!!

o

I made my mothers veggie soup ,instead of beef cubes I used ground chuck,mmNow tomorrow
Im making turkey corn soup.I too love soup,but with lapband surgery soup goes down pretty easy.

o

Olive garden recipe - mine adds 2 tbsp of bacon bits but doesn't simmer 2 hours I simmered too long once and the potatoes were mushy. I also don't add the cream until the end.

That eggplant soup looks so good.

This post was edited by CLBlakey on Sat, Mar 16, 13 at 14:19

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here