Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thank you mabeldingeldine!

Posted by donna_loomis (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 13, 13 at 18:06

This past weekend I candied some jalapenos. Wasn't sure if they needed to set a few days before being "ready", but I couldn't wait. Had some the next day and thought they were fabulous! Thanks again.

And I won't have to share them with anybody, because the rest of my family are wimpy when it comes to spice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thank you mabeldingeldine!

Oooh! I am glad you tried them and liked them! I've been eating them lately on bagels and cream cheese for breakfast -- way to start the day!

o

No cream cheese or bagels, I've been eating them right out of the jar. My last batch was super hot, I imagine it's hard on my innards eating 1 gallon of peppers. Like Donna, I haven't had any takers.

o

Mustangs, I tip my hat to you! My candied jalapenos are super hot, too -- my Master Gardening course instructor gave me 3 huge bags of jalapenos, and I don't know what she does but those babies are inferno-like. They were so hot I only froze a few for cooking and made the rest into cowboy candy. I like spicy but I need a little something else to cool the burn, even though they are tasty!

It is strange because we each grow the same variety of jalapeno, but it really demonstrates how soil and garden conditions can impact the flavor. My jalapenos are flavorful and somewhat spicy, but hers sure set your tongue aflame.

o

Different jalapenos must be it! The first batch was just right hot. The second was a scorcher and only I can eat them and like you, I need something to cool the burn.

I thought it was because I didn't take many seeds out but then I didn't remember doing that for the first batch.

They are delicious if I can get the right heat.

o

Hm... mine were pretty hot, too. I did leave in the seeds, but I just assumed it was the process that made them so hot. I didn't grow them, I purchased them at market. It will be interesting to see how my home grown jalapenos (months from now) will taste.

o

OK, so now you have me intrigued. Candied Jalapenos and Cowboy Candy? Come on ladies, let's have some recipes please!!

Steve

o

Steve, you can find the recipe I use on my recipe blog. I found it on another blog called Foodie with Family.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cowboy Candy aka Candied Jalapenos

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here