SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
terrapots

Estimating weight of loaf of bread

Terrapots
16 years ago

I've been trying to estimate how much dough to put into my bread pans when the recipe calls for free forms but I want to use bread pans instead. I've been making the no-knead recipe using SD starter but the last time I made it I shaped it into a long loaf, like a batard. It was a very wet dough and rose beautifully but had I put it into my bread pan, 9.5 x 5.5 x 4 it would certainly have been too much dough for one loaf. How much is the wet weight in relation to the baked weight? The loaf turned out almost 16 inches long (actually hung off the edges of my round baking stone), at least 5 inches wide and high. I've guessed before when making 2 loaf recipes and if the first rise looks good, I've skimmed some off of each loaf and made a puny small loaf. I can't always count on this much success as the majority of my loaves can be doorstops although I'm beginning to be able to predict this. Only thing I did differently to the no-knead loaf was add a tablespoon of gluten for the cup of whole wheat flour.

Comments (7)

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor