SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cowhorncreek

What Is Your Menu for Easter This Year?

I started to work on my menu and am brain dead - can't think of anything except maybe ham. Need some inspiration, please.

Comments (61)

• Bumblebeez SC Zone 7
    11 years ago

I bought the lamb today, a 4.5 lb. semi boneless natural leg. I'm excited, I've never made a leg of lamb before.

• chase_gw
    11 years ago

I want to go with Mom and her family!!!! Sounds like the best menu so far...especially the GD....someday ......

• Related Discussions

What's your menu for Easter Sunday?

Q

Comments (26)
    Hi Glenda and all, We had our Easter dinner today at Harry's sister's home. It was nice enough it have it outside so it was enjoyable. Wish you could have seen the food tables! When we got back to our room, I wrote down everything we had that I could remember. It looks like Marilyn_Sue's menu! Glenda, your pineapple casserole was a big hit. None of them had tasted it before and there was very little left. Ham Fried chicken Macaroni and cheese Squash casserole Potato salad (with onlon) Potato salad (w/o onion) Ditalini salad Green bean casserole Scalloped pineapple casserole Buffalo chicken dip with scoops Lettuce salad Deviled eggs 2 large relish trays Rolls Sweet tea Unsweetened tea Desserts: Peach cobbler 2 pecan pies Brownies 4-Day butter cake with coconut frosting (delicious) Marshmallow Whip cheesecake (Another cake???)
    ...See More

What are your Easter traditions and menus?

Q

Comments (21)
    I gotta say I miss the old days' get-togethers. I do remember Ma would hide our Easter baskets and we had a small house so there weren't a LOT of hiding places but I do remember the hunts a few times. Plus the family get-togethers then. I miss the aunts & uncles coming over or going to their places. It really wasn't anything super-special, except the food was always a big deal, otherwise it was mostly "visiting", and possible a rare card game by the adults. Kids knew to behave (so guess how many years this has been! LOL OK, don't get all up in arms...) But still it's good memories. I guess even as a kid, I appreciated and enjoyed the simple things in life. And since my mother died, things went downhill in a lot of ways. She held a lot of things together. And of course many of the aunts & uncles are now gone too so it's not the same and I realize it shouldn't be. I just preferred the way it was. Traditions change, which is fine. I don't oppose change. Just oppose change for the worse. Today's option of a family get-together? Back-stabbing interlopers getting together with con-artists, slugs and lazy b*stards while a "peacemaker" goes around trying to get everyone to forgive and forget.... Just doesn't appeal to me. I'll enjoy quieter times with true friends.
    ...See More

What's on your Thanksgiving menu this year?

Q

Comments (24)
    I am heading over to my daughter's home to help her cook for Tday as she had my second grandson in September and with the 3 year old has her hands pretty full. Also, I gave my son my HUGE table (sat 16) as it was way too large for my small dining room. We are only having 6 around the table this year as many of the extended family are traveling to their respective in-laws or just getting away. As always I was invited to dinner at my fiance's ex wife's home . . . but I have declined because my daughter really needs the help. He declined but his wonderful children have planned to spend some of the morning with him so he will be able to spend some time with that portion of his family (love that!). Since we have such a small gathering we are being a bit conservative with the food. As I am Celiac I have to duplicate several things to be safe for my consumption . . . so I am doing a turkey (will take some to eat and then divvy up the rest to be leftovers for sandwiches) my GF stuffing and gravy I am making Sour Cream Apple pie, pecan tassies and grilled asparagus Daughter (with help) is making main Turkey, dressing, potatoes and gravy and pumpkin pie and the "famous" green bean casserole" Ex SIL is bringing "watergate salad (a fav of my Son In Law), rolls and the sweet potato souffle. I brought fresh cranberries to try my hand at making orange cranberry relish as it is my fiance's favorite type of cranberry and I wanted him to have a favorite dish from his traditional dinners, that is also why I am grilling asparagus as it is his favorite veg.
    ...See More

What does your Easter menu look like so far?

Q

Comments (26)
    We had our dinner today. The ham was the best part, Elery smoked it about 10 hours, after 36 hours in brine, then half was served with a pineapple sauce and half without. We had baked beans, broccoli/cauliflower salad, green beans with bacon, whole wheat/butternut squash rolls, and Nancync's gluten free brioche, which came out very well: The coconut cake was decorated with Peeps and filled with coconut cream, then frosted with a coconut/cream cheese frosting: The kids were busy eating the chocolate that they found inside the Easter eggs, so they didn't want any other dessert. We got out the special Easter deviled egg plate and Mother's old Easter tablecloth from the 50s, we use it every year. We also had blueberry crisp and chocolate cream pie, but no one ate dessert except the Princess, who had this piece of cake. Everyone else ate too much ham! The only fail, and there's always one, were those blasted potatoes. Even though I don't like cheese and the Princess doesn't like sauced anything, I made au gratin. Found a recipe that called for heavy cream, gouda cheese, butter, garlic. Gotta be good, right? Two hours at 350 and the potatoes were still hard. Cranked the oven up to 450 for half an hour, still hard. Put them in the microwave for 15 minutes, the microwave overheated and died and those potatoes were still hard. We gave up on the potatoes, even with $15 worth of gouda and cream, and ate everything else. The girls split up the potatoes and took them home, they are going to try to cook them some more. Ugh, I didn't even want to look at them again and was going to compost them, but the girls couldn't pass up all that cheese, LOL. And so Elery and I took a trip into town and bought a new microwave after everyone went home. Annie
    ...See More
  • wizardnm
    11 years ago

There will just be the two of us this year, friends have escaped our winter weather and will be out of town. So Kim and I got to thinking about what we would enjoy. We usually do ham but not this year. We are going to clear a path through the snow to the grill and fire it up! There is still over a foot of snow on the ground at this time. But I'm hoping that the forecasters are right... a warming trend is coming over the next few days. So....

We are grilling rib steaks. To go with those we will have, potato salad, strawberry salad, baked beans and whatever else we get in the mood for that helps us pretend it really is spring.
    It's been a very long winter in Northern Michigan. The lake is still frozen!

Nancy

• Linderhof1208
    11 years ago

I'm doing lamb but I'm on the fence about whether a rack or a leg. I haven't decided what to serve with it. It will probably be just DH and I but we adore lamb and it is so EASTER!

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

I was told by non-committal guest that whatever was on the menu would be fine with them...we will see.
    Eggplant Balls
    Sour Cream Muffins
    Pregnancy Salad
    Horseradish Crust Prime Rib
    Roasted Potatoes
    Almond Cake with Apricot Brandy Sauce

*Nancy, your long winter with the still frozen lakes paid off for Beau. I couldn't believe how he put on his new inline skates and immediately took off like a pro. His MI grandpa flew them up as he does annually to experience snow. Beau explained that Grandpa's lake was still frozen and he learned how to ice skate so inline was a piece of cake.

• chase_gw
    11 years ago

Nancy, same here...the lake is no where near thawed and there is at least two feet of snow on the ground......bummer Easter being so early.

I want last years Spring!
    This is carp....in my old age.....

• chase_gw
    11 years ago

Cathy...what the heck is pregnancy salad!!!!!

by the by ......himself and I have decided that your weather in the winter if way better than ours so plan on a return visit.! Might be even be able to convince Annie to come on down if we start now........

• mustangs81
    11 years ago

Chase, That would be fantastic if you and Clive come back next year. However, I think it would be a tough sell as Annie doesn't like it down here.

Pregnancy Salad: I had it in at a restaurant in Studio City, CA years ago. It became a legion/wives tale that it induced labor in pregnant women. Obviously I didn't eat it for it's labor inducing properties, I just liked it and it's been a semi-staple since then as it's easy and tasty.

Pregnancy Salad Romaine hearts
    1/2 bunch watercress (I only use this if I have guests)
    Cup chopped walnuts
    1 can sliced water chestnuts
    4 ounces crumbled Gorgonzola cheese
    Balsamic vinaigrette (I just use 3 to 1 EVOO & balsamic with a dash of garlic)

Here is a link that might be useful: Pregnancy Salad

• User
    11 years ago

Come on down chase, I'm sure we can get tickets. The theme this year is dragons, my grandson is thrilled.

We'll go to the elephant walk and brunch, too, later in the week, at our Lexington Market. Now that's a meal.

Here is a link that might be useful: Elephant walk

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Actually, Cathy, Elery and I had been discussing renting a condo and letting the kids come down to visit if they chose to. I'm just not sure Florida will let me back in, both times I've been there I've brought bad weather with me, it gets nice as soon as I leave! The first time I came, it was warmer in Michigan and the second time there was a tornado. My office used to joke that whenever I went on vacation there was some weird weather happening, they were waiting for the first tsunami ever in Chicago or somewhere, LOL.

My mother used to live in Dade City in the winter. She said she found the middle of the state since she doesn't like water, and I did not like that at all. She didn't either, it was too hot, but my stepfather liked it there, it was close to Lakeland and the Detroit Tiger's training camp, so he went there regularly.

It wasn't just Florida. The wind blew 40 MPH the whole time I was in Texas and only California seemed able to overcome my bad weather propensities.

Or maybe I've passed them on to Ashley, she came to Port Walton Beach (?) last month. It was seldom above 50 the entire week she was there and was sunny and nearing 70 as soon as she came home. Maybe it's genetics.....

Annie

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all so very much for all of the good ideas. This has helped me so much. And just because I have said thank you, don't stop send the ideas in, please.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

It's not really hijacking since WC was just asking what we're all having but I need help planning dinner. My mom was going to do it but now I guess I am (she has done every single holiday for years, including the 2 Thanksgivings at my house when I had newborns when she came down and cooked).

So, she wants ham (but not the hickory smoked one I have in freezer). Will bring her own horseradish.

I need to buy a plain ham if I can find one - says they can take or leave pineapple (but DD loves it so I figured I'd try it, any suggestions?).

Mom always has mashed potatoes - I do have russets I need to use, just hate to wait til last minute to mash them (unless the ham isn't a big deal to carve, whenever we go to her house it's a big rush to get meat carved and potatoes mashed at same time and my kitchen is smaller than hers). Mashed potatoes are a treat for us, DD doesn't eat potatoes at all so I tend to just roast them for the rest of us rather than going to trouble of peeling, boiling and mashing.

I have mushrooms bought this weekend, need to use (a week old too old, should I saute and freeze now?), figured I'd do Steamfresh green beans with sauteed mushrooms, maybe honey glazed carrots too if that's not too much with a sweet glazed ham?

Asked Mom to bring rolls and wine, I have a frozen carrot cake from bakery sale, also cheesecake in freezer, I can make up any kind of topping for cheesecake (blueberry, blackberry, pineapple?) since I also have frozen berries and various preserves. Or I could do a deep dish Dutch apple pie (have pie shells and apple pie filling, topping is easy), pecan pie (frozen, no work)?

Only 6 of us, DD likes ham but will probably just eat raw carrots as a side (might make her some egg noodles), DS likes garlic on his green beans but can add garlic powder at the table (he uses it like salt and pepper!), I don't think anyone has any objections to mushrooms though my mom likes canned beans better than frozen she's outnumbered. DS won't eat asparagus but used to like honey glazed carrots when he was little (I really stopped cooking when DD got to eating table food since she was so picky, unlike him, so I just make everything plain for her).

This post was edited by ajsmama on Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 10:20

• User
    11 years ago

Why not make scalloped or au gratin potatoes, or twice baked potatoes. You can make those the day before and warm them up in the oven while the ham is cooking/warming. Same for other veggies - carrots, etc, can be made and refrigerated a day or two before,

Start your own easter dinner traditions.

Bon appetit

• booberry85
    11 years ago

Ajs Mama, it sounds like you already have a good grip on things. It looks like your having:

Ham (not hickory smoked)
    Pineapple (I usually have pineapple slices and spiced apple rings on a plate on the side, not actually on the ham)
    Horseradish
    Potatoes (either mashed or roasted)
    Mushrooms and green beans
    Carrots (raw and / or glazed)
    Rolls

Carrot cake or cheesecake or deep dish apple pie

That certainly sounds like enough to feed 6 people! You may want to consider an appetizer. Maybe a veggie tray and some dip, since the DD likes raw carrots.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I have some canned pineapple (I don't have that fancy gadget that Annie does so am afraid of buying fresh LOL). Not sure if any are rings or all chunks. Do you cook the pineapple at all or just put slices on a plate? DD would love to have fruit salad/cocktail as a side.

I don't know what time we're eating, so not sure about appetizer (the kids won't eat it) since we have the veggie sides. I do have some smoked salmon Mom gave us, I've been wondering what to do with that since we don't tend to eat it on bagels. Again, Mom and DD won't touch that, but Dad and the guys would like it, and I'll probably have some.

Traditional "appetizer" for my dad is pickled whitefish - DH likes it too, should I do that instead of/with the salmon?

I guess I could pick up some fresh broccoli and mushrooms and make a dip for Mom but I am trying not to go shopping on Friday or Sat. Maybe some deviled eggs since we are making Easter eggs Friday anyway?

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ajs, you can make mashed potatoes ahead of time. Here is a great recipe from Pioneer Wpman.

Creamy Make Ahead Mashed Potatoes

Serves 10

5 pounds Russet or Yukon Gold potatoes
    3/4 cups butter, softened (1 1/2 sticks)
    1 8-oz package cream cheese, softened
    1/2 cup (to 3/4 cups) half-and-half (start with the 1/2 cup and add more if necessary)
    1/2 teaspoon (to 1 Teaspoon) Lawry's Seasoned Salt
    1/2 teaspoon (to 1 Teaspoon) Black Pepper

Peel and cut the potatoes into pieces that are generally the same size. Bring a large pot of water to a simmer and add the potatoes. Bring to a boil and cook for 30 to 35 minutes. When theyâÂÂre cooked through, the fork should easily slide into the potatoes with no resistance, and the potatoes should almost, but not totally, fall apart.

Drain the potatoes in a large colander. When the potatoes have finished draining, place them back into the dry pot and put the pot on the stove. Mash the potatoes over low heat, allowing all the steam to escape, about 3 minutes.

Turn off the stove and add 1 1/2 sticks of sliced butter, an 8-ounce package of chunked cream cheese and about 1/2 cup of half-and-half. Mash, mash, mash! Next, add about 1/2 teaspoon of LawryâÂÂs Seasoning Salt and 1/2 a teaspoon of black pepper (can add more, if necessary). Mash or stir well. Then TASTE the potatoes, and adjust the seasonings. The seasoning process should take a little time, as itâÂÂs important to get it just right. Try really hard NOT to undersalt the potatoes. They need seasoning.

Butter a medium-sized baking dish and spoon potatoes into it. Smooth out the surface of the potatoes. Slice a few pats of butter over the top of the potatoes and *place them in a 350-degree oven and heat until butter is melted and potatoes are warmed through.

*Or, if making one or two days before you are going to eat the potatoes, cover the dish with foil and refrigerate. When youâÂÂre ready, remove it from the fridge at least an hour before baking (a couple of hours before eating) so the center wonâÂÂt be so cold. Bake in a 350-degree oven, covered, for 20-30 minutes, or until warmed through.

Source: Pioneer Woman

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

Thanks. I was reading info from butcher, I got a boneless Smithfield spiral ham (? Guess it's a regular spiral ham but they took the bone out after cutting?, paid about twice as much for a 6 lb ham as I did for the 11.6 lb bone-in spiral in December just for them to take the bone out?), pamphlet says to just heat a spiral ham at 250 for about 15 min/lb so it doesn't dry out. I imagine it will be a cinch to carve (my dad always struggles with the bone-in ham, even if it's spiral). So we can do the potatoes that day, though I may stick them in the warm oven to stay warm while we're cutting the ham and putting the veggies out.

PW recipes sound good but oh so fattening and if we're having cheesecake for dessert I'd rather not put cream cheese in the potatoes. I had a college roomate who used to put sour cream and a raw egg (guess it cooked from the heat of the potatoes) in hers.

Any other ideas for appetizers?

• melissaki5
    11 years ago

Hi new here, I've been lurking and enjoying everyone's posts but figured it would be fun to start participating. Easter this year will be at my Aunts house so no cooking for me this weekend. However, I am half Greek and our "Greek" easter is in may this year and that will be mine so I thought I'd share.

Apps
    Tiropites (cheese pie), veggie tray, maybe eggplant dip

Dinner
    Lamb, roasted Greek potatoes, Pastitsio, Spanakopita, salad, bread, hard-boiled red dyed eggs, and maybe braised green beans.

Dessert
    Galactobouriko and yoghurt with honey and walnuts

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Melissa, welcome to the Cooking Forum.

My husband Elery would love your menu, especially the lamb and the pastitsio.

Annie

• Lars
    11 years ago

This year we will have Easter dinner in Orange County because we will be attending WonderCon 2013 at the Anaheim Convention Center. I was thinking we might go to a nice Vietnamese restaurant in Westminster, which would not be far out of the way. We will not be cooking since we will not be at home. The last time we went there, I made a type of calzone sandwich to take with us, and I might make sandwiches again, if we cannot decide on a Vietnamese restaurant beforehand.

Lars

I would like your menu also, Melissa! But what is Galactobouriko?

This post was edited by publickman on Wed, Mar 27, 13 at 18:33

• chase_gw
    11 years ago

Welcome Melissa...the only thing I would add to your post about your menu is the specific time, date and directions!!!

Sounds wonderful !

• melissaki5
    11 years ago

Thank you for the warm welcomes! Lars- Galactobouriko is a Greek custard phyllo dessert. I have a pretty good recipe if anyone is interested I can dig it up.

• booberry85
    11 years ago

I love galactobouriko. I've only eaten it. Maybe its time for a new thread on Greek food (starting with that recipe)!
    :)

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Oh yes, I'd love that recipe, thank you!

Annie

• shambo
    11 years ago

Melissa, welcome to the forum. My Aunt Stella loved galatobouriko and made it frequently. She even developed an easy version featuring just the custard & syrup but no fillo.

I'm going to make tsoureki tomorrow but am undecided about the red eggs. They look so cute nestled into the braid. But once they're removed, I don't like the look of the red dough left behind. I'm making 3 braids -- one for us and one for each of my children's families.

Other than some Greek potato salad, that's it for Greek food this year. I'm not going overboard because both my children will be out of town visiting in-laws However, the idea of pastitsio sounds good. (Thanks for mentioning it, Melissa.) It's fairly easy and would make great lunch or dinner leftovers during the week.

• User
    11 years ago

Finally got my menu for Easter

Prime Rib
    Garlic Mashed Potatoes
    Yorkshire Pudding
    Grilled Asparagus

Black Forrest Cake

I am thinking hubby just might want me to add some sort of cheese garlic shrimp but I will skip it unless he asks

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    11 years ago

OMG!

Prime ribs, boneless - $4.99 a lb

White asparagus - $1.69 a lb.

Portabella mushrooms - $2.99 a lb.

Guess what I will be having. :-)

dcarch

• melissaki5
    11 years ago

Galatoboureko

2 Quarts Milk
    3 Cups Sugar
    1 Cup Farina
    8 Eggs, beaten
    1/2 Phyllo
    1/2 butter
    1 1/2 tsp vanilla

Syrup
    2 Cups Sugar
    1 1/2 Cup Water
    Thin slice of Lemon

In a deep pot, heat milk with sugar. Add farina, simmer, uncovered until thickened, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Beat eggs and combine with milk mixture, blend thoroughly. Add vanilla. Remove from heat and set aside to cool slightly.
    Grease 9x13 inch baking pan with melted butter. Arrange half the phyllo in pan, brushing each with melted butter. Pour in farina/milk mixture and top with remaining phyllo, brushing each with melted butter. Fold edges to retain mixture. With a sharp knife, cut through top layers of phyllo in lengthwise strips. Bake in 350 degree, until lightly browned, about 45 minutes.

For Syrup
    Combine ingredients in sauce pan and simmer until a medium thick syrup is formed. Cool before pouring over warm pastry.

After trying a bunch of galatobouriko recipes and never having them come out right (usually way too dense) I finally was given this one by a Greek neighbor of mine. My only tweaks from what is written above is I often double or at least 1 1/2 times the syrup. The first time I made it, it just didn't seem like there was enough. I also temper the eggs when I add them but I don't know if thats necessary or not.

Shambo - Would love your recipe for the tsoureki. I have never made it before. I know what you mean about the red dye, looks good until you remove the egg.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I second the motion for a Greek recipe thread! That cake looks delicious!

• annie1992
    11 years ago

Thank you, Melissa, that sounds delicious, I love custardy type fillings and I'm not wild about pie crust, so I'll have to try it.

Farina, that's the hot breakfast cereal, right?

Annie

• livvyandbella
    11 years ago

BooBerry, what are spiced pear and apple rings?

• booberry85
    11 years ago

The spiced apple rings I just buy in a jar in the grocery store (in the canned fruit isle). They are bright red apple rings that are canned with a sweet and spicy cinnamony flavor.

I found this recipe on the National Center for Home Food Preservation (NCHFP) and might have to try it during apple season this year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Spiced apple rings

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

We're having braised duck legs with tangerine rice and whatever vegetable looks good at the market today. Lemon meringue pie for dessert, if I get it made.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Cut way back on what I originally had decided to make after the inspiration from you all. Several family members ended up having to fly out on business this morning and will not be back tomorrow (they all work for the same company). So here is what will be prepared.

Ham
    Baked Macaroni and Cheese
    Garlic Green Beans
    Sweet and Spicy Carrots
    Parker House Rolls by Bobby Flay
    Strawberry âÂÂShortcakeâ Dessert

I wanted to make a leg of lamb, but was told we had to have the traditional ham in our family. Maybe next year I can do leg of lamb if I can get a good recipe.

Again, thank you all so much for your input.

• lpinkmountain
    11 years ago

It's just BF and I so nothing fancy, but we like to do a nice Sunday dinner. So this is what I'm thinking:

Ham and broccoli quiche with maybe swiss cheese
    Ratatouille
    Rainbow coleslaw with poppyseed dressing
    If I get ambitious I might make rice pudding for dessert because we could reheat it during the week and have it for breakfast. Otherwise just some fresh pineapple that we have in the fridge to use up.

• melissaki5
    11 years ago

Annie - Yes the hot breakfast cereal.

Walnutcreek - I hate when relatives dictate holiday dinners. I have around 25 for Thanksgiving every year and every year I am told we have to have my Aunt's green bean casserole. While it is good, I have a really good cauliflower au gratin that I would love to make and never get to.

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

You weren't told exactly what type of ham to buy, were you?

• User
    11 years ago

dcarch- I like the prices you got. The Prime rib sale is what helped me make up my mind but I didn't get the deal you did.

Easter Dinner postponed till next week due to health issues. Rats!!

• shambo
    11 years ago

Melissa, here's the recipe I use for tsoureki. It's a combo of recipes from Food.com, Diana's Desserts, & Martha Stewart. My mom & grandmother never made it, but we'd purchase it every once in a while from a Greek bakery in LA. Years ago when I got a real craving for it, I ordered some mahleb, looked up some recipes, and started making it at home.

TSOUREKI - Greek Easter Bread

2 LOAVES
    2 cups milk
    2 envelopes active dry yeast
    8-9 cups bread flour (DonâÂÂt use too much)
    1 1/2 cups sugar
    1 tsp salt
    Grated rind of 1orange or 2 tsp dried orange rind (optional)
    1 tablespoon mahlepi (use only 2 tsp)
    1/2 cup butter, melted & cooled
    5 eggs, very well beaten

Glaze: (For 1-2 loaves)
    1 egg
    2-3 tbsp milk

1 LOAF
    1 cup milk
    1 envelope active dry yeast (2 1/4 tsp)
    4 - 4 1/2 cups flour
    3/4 cups sugar
    1/2 tsp salt
    Grated rind of 1/2 orange or 1 tsp dried orange rind (optional)
    1 tsp mahleb (mahlepi)
    1/4 cup butter, melted & cooled
    3 eggs, very well beaten

1.Warm two cups of milk and place in a large bowl. Add the yeast, one cup of the flour, and 1/4 cup of the sugar. Cover and proof for one hour.
    2.In a large bowl, combine seven cups of flour, salt, remaining sugar, mahlepi. Make a well in the center. Add the yeast mixture, melted butter and eggs.
    3.Work from the center outwards, bringing flour into the well, stirring the mixture until a dough begins to form.
    4.Dust a work surface with a little of the remaining flour and knead, adding more flour if necessary, until the dough is smooth and doesn't stick to your hands, about 12 minutes. (Dough will be quite soft & slightly sticky)
    5.Place in an oiled bowl, cover with a cloth, and set aside in a warm, draft-free place to rise until doubled in bulk, about two hours. (Because the dough is so rich, it may take longer to double.) Punch down dough.
    6.Divide into six small balls (3 small balls if making only 1 loaf) and roll each into strips 12-15 inches long, and abut 2 inches in diameter. Lay three strips side by side, pinching together at one end, and braid. Pinch together at the other end to hold the loaf intact. (Optional: At this point you can press two red-dyed eggs between the strips of the braid or just leave the braided loaf plain.) Repeat the procedure to make the second loaf.
    7.Place the breads on a parchment-lined baking sheet, covered, and let rise for two hours, or until doubled in bulk. (Because the dough is so rich, it may take longer to double.) While the braids are rising, preheat oven to 350F.
    8.Beat together the egg yolk and milk. Brush over tsoureki loaves. Bake for about 35-40 minutes (check after 20 minutes and cover with foil to prevent excess browning; do not overbake), or until golden brown. The bread should have an internal temperature of 190 degrees and sound hollow when tapped on the bottom. Remove and cool on racks.

• pkramer60
    11 years ago

It was dinner for 30 this year, with spiral ham, lamb chops on the grill, asparagus, green bean casserole, swiss cheese gratin potatoes, sweet potatoes, potato salad, a chopped salad, cole slaw, rolls and rye bread, and a whole bunch of appetizers. Lamb cake, bubka, cookies for dessert.

We are all stuffed to the gills, but the kitchen and dining room are cleaned up. And every one took home doggie bags for tomorrow.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

Easter dinner is over and everything came out so well. But esp got rave reviews on the ham. I'm sold. From now on, crock pot it is. Put it in the crock pot with some brown sugar, maple syrup and pineapple juice. It was fab...tender and tasty, not too sweet and not too salty. Only thing is my ham almost exactly fit in the crockpot so I used only half of the pineapple juice it called for.

Here is a link that might be useful: crock pot ham

• 2ajsmama
    11 years ago

I'm going to have to try that next time I have a small ham. I still have the 11.6 lb one in the freezer I have to do something with but that won't fit in my slowcooker.

Our ham turned out well today - put foil in bottom of broiler pan, put in the ham and poured the juices from the shrink wrap over it, then brought foil up around it and sealed it tightly with double-folded seams. Warmed in preheated 325 oven for 45 min and then I was afraid my parents would be late (they weren't, but I was busy getting veggies done) so I turned the oven off and left it in another 30 min, it was very moist and not overly salty as I feared a non-smoked ham would be (and I got liquid on a scrape on my finger, so I know it WAS salted, though not salt-cured dry ham!).

But it could have used some glaze or other flavoring IMHO - I think a little sugar/pineapple juice would have been nice.

I hope the ham next Sunday is as good (I think I should freeze some of the leftovers, my parents only took a third of them, we're going to be tired of ham by next weekend!).

• Linderhof1208
    11 years ago

This was our Easter dessert. First time I've made one. It was really good!

• User
    11 years ago

Cute Lamb :D

• ruthanna_gw
    11 years ago

Linderhof, your lamb is so cute. Was it a pound cake?

Our dinner turned out as planned with crispy duck legs, tangerine and toasted almond rice and Brussels sprout leaves.

I just couldn't get in the mood to make the lemon meringue pie but did make a lemon meringue cake that was in my "to try" file - 3 layer yellow cake with a fresh lemon filling and baked meringue covering it. It looked great but taste was just OK. Shoulda made the pie.

Now I just need to figure out what I want to do with all that luxurious duck fat in the fridge.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

ajsmama, no they did not tell me what brand of ham to buy. LOL

• melissaki5
    11 years ago

Sham - Thanks for posting the recipe for the tsoureki can't wait to try it.
    Linderhof - What a cute lamb!!

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie, I totally agree with you about cooking ham in the crockpot. I did that for the first time this year. I wrapped the ham tightly with heavy-duty aluminum foil and put in the crockpot. Cooked on low for about eight hours. Ham was moist, tender, and sliced easily. I will always use the crockpot for cooking ham from now on.

• Linderhof1208
    11 years ago

Sort of -- it was an Italian recipe for lamb cake. It was quite good!

Martha

• pattypeterson2208
    11 years ago

I was going to cook for the BF as I am getting around a little better since I got the cast off on Friday. The weather turned nice enough to have an Easter egg hunt at my Sisters. Nothing fancy grilled shrimp and hot dogs for the kids. I made a cheese ball with black and green olives, cream cheese, green onions and butter what's not to like there. I also made a cold pasta salad new recipe made from Kraft macaroni and cheese. It was surprisingly good will make it again. Patty

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012