Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How long do you keep boxed chicken broth?

Posted by olychick (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 16:51

I know lots of you make your own, but I buy boxed organic...not as good, I know, but as I've said before I am lazy about some things and broth is one of them. I try to buy the 8 oz size when I just need a little, but often open a quart and have 1/2 of it left. If I was on top of it, I'd pop it into the freezer, but often that doesn't happen. How long do you think it is safe to use? I'd use real chicken within 2 or 3 days, but does this stuff last longer?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How long do you keep boxed chicken broth?

I keep it 5 to 6 days.....abd boil it for 5 minutes before putting it in any food.
That is pof course providing it's been kept cold.

o

I agree with Linda, refrigerated it will keep 6 days, after that...pitch.

Nancy

o

Thank you both...guess I either need to freeze the leftovers or mark the box so I can remember when I opened it. Out it goes!

o

One of my boxes of broth says you can keep it for up to 14 days in the fridge after it's open. The other ones don't have any info. I keep it for weeks and weeks in the fridge, I've never had a problem. It's too expensive to throw away.

o

If you have left-over and no immediate thought of using the rest... FREEZE it. You can melt it down in no time when you need it next time.

o

My box also says 14 days, but I know I have used it long after that. Mine is organic. Eggs, too, keep forever.

o

thanks, I can't find any info on the box about how long it will be usable after opening. There is a # to contact the company, maybe I'll call and ask them.

o

I keep a black magic marker in my kitchen and put the date on chicken broth cartons and condiments so I can remember how old they are. I like Progresso low-sodium chicken stock in the box and use a lot of it. Within 2 weeks is my limit.

seagrass

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here