Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Carbon Steel Pan

Posted by antiquesilver (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 1, 12 at 16:49

I'm contemplating buying a heavy duty carbon steel pan for searing steaks when the weather isn't cooperating for outdoor grilling. (My current skillets works fine but I want something with a seasoned finish that might be easier to clean). Instead of a fry pan, I've been looking at the crepe pan because I like the lower sides. Is there any reason that the crepe pan is a bad choice or am I over thinking this?? I suppose my range will get more spatter with the lower sides but I can't think of any other negatives.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Carbon Steel Pan

Sounds good to me....I like to use a cast iron griddle.
Linda C

o

I have a 9" CS frypan, as well as a crepe pan. I use the frypan way more frequently. So, I'd advise to get whatever pan that you can use most often.

o

I use my carbon steel wok for searing roasts. Does a fantastic job.

o

Thanks for the comments & suggestions - I think I'm trying to rationalize buying yet another skillet/saute pan. Apparently, I love the things & at last count had 9 high quality ones & several small cast iron ones stored in the basement that have probably rusted.

I don't particularly care for crepes, have never cooked them & the descriptions I found for crepe pans seemed to be very food-specific; that's why I wondered if there was something that prevented them from being all purpose. I doubted it, but just to be sure............

Looks like I'd better add another hook to the pot rack!

o

I love my deBuyer CS pans! Love them! When they arrived, Mister even said it was a good looking pan. ;-)

o

MichelleDT - Do you know the difference between Mineral B and blue steel pans from deBuyer? I am looking at these alternatives and confused on what to get.

Lalitha

o

According to the deBuyer site, the blue steel is slightly thinner gauge & the Mineral B has a beeswax finish (to aid in rust prevention I guess as I can't see how this would be 'seasoning' if you're still required to boil it out before oiling). The Mineral & the Mineral B are advertised as 'organic iron' - as opposed to ????????????? As I understand it, 'blue steel' is just carbon steel that's undergone a heat process that turned it blue although I'm not sure of the purpose.

o

I really don't know the difference, if there is a significant difference. The label is still on the largest pan and it says, 99% Pur Iron Mineral B Steel Frying Pan. They were a set of three and I have been using the two smaller ones and love them.

BTW, I was at a Bluestar cooking demo (deciding on my new range) and a personal chef just raved about the pans and the rep also agreed which prompted my research and purchase. I think I will get many, many years out of these pans.

M

o

I noticed on the Mineral B it says "undistortable" which is a claim I don't see them making on the other products. Don't know if that means anything or not. This interests me, esp since I'm currently cooking on a smoothtop where such things matter.

(OT - Michelle - I wander over to appliances from time to time and a short while ago I saw you debating between griddle, no griddle, 12" or 24". Any decisions?)

o

@Food - we decided on the 60" with 6 burner, griddle and grill. Mister finally got tired of me talking about it so I just went with both. Now he is tiring of my refrigeration analysis! ;-)

o

The other negative with a crepe pan with very low sides is that you can't easily deglaze it to make a pan sauce.

OTOH, positive with a crepe pan is that the low sides make it easy to slide fragile stuff out of the pan to a plate. Thin flakey fish fillets, roesti, even crepes.

If you're okay with another pot in front of your window, then I'd certainly get a crepe pan. You can never have too many pans.

o

Yeah, John, I thought about the pan sauce limitations but I'm mainly interested in the CS for searing steaks - other foods don't seem to leave a baked on coating on the pan as much - & I'll forego the sauce. Not sure how well a pan sauce works in CS anyway if you use a lot of wine or other acidic liquids.

And I agree - you can never have too many pans!

o

An Update:
I bought the 12" deBuyer Carbone Plus crepe pan & it arrived yesterday. The Carbone seems to be almost identical to the Mineral line without the 'green' hype & it was $15 cheaper on Amazon (with shipping taken into consideration); it's not blue steel but rather a light charcoal color. It's 2.5mm thick & heavy - & the finishing is superb & it's absolutely flat! I'm not sure what I was expecting for carbon steel but the milling is as good as my DeMeyere SS skillet.

So far, I've only used it to fry bacon to aid in the seasoning process but the depth & shape seem to be ideal for searing. There's slightly more depth than a griddle but the sides are angled enough for easy food removal. And the most important functional part is that it not unwieldy if I want to finish in the oven.

o

That sounds great; I like cast iron but I spend lots of time trying to smooth out the surface prior to seasoning. I may have to try one of those carbone plus pans. Let us know how it seasons up.

There are lots of formulae out there for seasoning; I've had good luck with grapeseed oil.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here