SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wizardnm

Pasta Party Invitation

wizardnm
14 years ago

Let's have a pasta party on Saturday April 10 2010!

We haven't done anything like this for awhile, so I'll try to be a little more detailed on how it has worked in the past....with a new twist!

In general we all plan a pasta dinner for Sat Apr 10. It can be just for family or a real party where you invite friends.

The day of the party, it's fun to share your progress during preporation, pictures welcome, but just notes are fine too.

New Twist... All pasta recipes that are used must be posted on the Cookalong #24 thread that was started today (Mar 22). So when you decide on what you are going to make, be sure to post the recipe. It's fine to use any recipe that anyone has already posted on the Cookalong thread. Other side dishes, breads, salads, etc. recipes can be posted on this thread.

This is not a contest....but.... there might be a name drawn from all the particpants for "something" special.

Anyone who has any ideas along this line, please email me through GW.

If you can't do your pasta party on that Saturday night, it's OK to do it a day earlier or later.

Please post as much detailed information about your party as you can and pictures are encouraged.

All pasta party posts should be on this thread...nobody wants to have to hunt around. I'll link to the Cookalong thread at the bottom here.

Any questions? Just post them to this thread. There are quite a few of us here that have participated before. It's a fun way to get more involved with the forum and make dinner at the same time!

I would love to give someone credit for the invitation picture but don't know who to give credit to. It's not mine.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: Cookalong #24-------PASTA!

Comments (67)

• pat_t
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Looks like my plans have changed, so my menu will have to change also. Instead of cooking for friends, I will be cooking for my ultra-picky daughter and my Mom (who just got dentures 2 weeks ago). Oh yay - NOT.

Now comes the dumbing-down of the menu. DANG IT!

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We went to a Pasta Party last weekend, for a friend that is moving because of a new job. I made some Prosciutto Pinwheels. They were devoured and and I need to pass on the recipe for them to that whole group.
    This is not a photo that I took. But mine looked the same as this one from the recipe @yumsugar.com. I meant to take one as soon as we got to the party and put them out, then promptly forgot.
    I plan on making them again next weekend when I do my pasta party. Just wanted to share ahead of time in case someone else was looking for a different appetizer. I'll take my own picture then..

Prosciutto Pinwheels
    Modified from Bon Appetit magazine

1 sheet frozen puff pastry (half of 17.3-ounce package), thawed
    4 ounces thinly sliced prosciutto
    2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
    3/4 cup (packed) finely grated Parmesan cheese (about 2 1/2 ounces)

1.Place pastry sheet on work surface. Arrange half of prosciutto on one rectangle, leaving 1/2-inch border along one side. Sprinkle prosciutto with half of basil, then top with half of cheese.
    2.Starting at one side, roll up pastry jelly-roll style, pressing gently to seal long edges. Wrap in plastic.
    3.Repeat with remaining pastry, prosciutto, basil, and cheese to form second log. Refrigerate until firm, at least 3 hours and up to 2 days.
    4.Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 400°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper.
    5.Cut logs crosswise into 1/2-inch-thick rounds. Arrange rounds on prepared sheets, spacing 1 inch apart.
    6.Bake 1 sheet at a time until pastries are golden brown, about 16 minutes. Using metal spatula, transfer pastries to racks and cool slightly. Serve warm.
    Makes about 30 appetizers.

Nancy

• Related Discussions

Virtual Tea Party - All Invited!

Q

Comments (7)
    I'm confused Rob - crumpets steeping on top of the cup? As a teenager, a friend and I decided to hold a 'proper tea party' for a larger group of friends, in all the style our mothers would have known but no longer bothered with. i.e. Hats. A lady Always Wore a Hat to Tea. We borrowed lace tablecloths, my mother's finest china tea-set (inherited). 1. finger sandwiches 2. fruit loaf (buttered slices of this kind of loaf were a classic) 3. then you get the dainty cakes and stuff. It was a riot (my mum came and loved it). Linda's quite correct: 'high tea' was something for the workers, who had their main meal in the middle of the day, but needed something more substantial when they got home, so had tea and a hot dish, as well as the cake. (Also what you gave children who weren't old enough to have a formal dinner at 8.00pm) So, 'high tea' is technically definitely not posh . . . :)
    ...See More

You are invited to the April garden party

Q

Comments (49)
    Hi Everyone! The address is 404 Macchi Ave, Oakland, FL 34787. The town is between Winter Garden and Clermont. If you are approaching from the Florida Turnpike (aka Ronald Reagan Turnpike), the exit is 272 for "Winter Garden." When you get off the highway you would go East towards Winter Garden. The first light East of the the exit is Tubbs St (aka 4th Street), you turn left at that intersection (you know it is the right one because there is a Chevron Gas Station). Then go to the first stop sign and make a right onto Oakland Ave. Then, a few blocks down go left on Winters Landing. Macchi Ave is the last street and you turn left again. The house is third from last on the street on the left. For those of you coming from Deland, your best bet is taking 1-4 West, then 414 West, then 429 South. The exit off 429 is Exit 23 toward Winter Garden. When you get off the exit, you are going right (West) on Colonial Rd (aka Highway 50). Drive for 3.7 miles and turn right at 545/Avalon Road (there is a 7 eleven there), then turn left at the stop light onto Oakland Ave. You will go down for .7 miles and turn right onto Winters Landing. From there, go to the end and that is Macchi Road. Then you make a left onto Macchi and the house is the 3rd to last on the left hand side. I hope these directions are helpful for you and I get to see everyone. Looking forward to celebrating Spring with all of you. Barbie, I hope you see this since I can't reply to your email. I guess that you have to change your settings. Silvia
    ...See More

Pasta Party

Q

Comments (3)
    I would guess that a "pasta party" would be similar to how a pasta buffet station is set up. They have a few options for pre-cooked pasta (e.g., linguine, ziti, etc.) and they have several options for toppings: marinara sauce, alfredo sauce, pesto, and so on. They'd have extra portable burners/pans, olive oil, garlic, and so on... you select your pasta and they quickly reheat it according to your preference and then add the sauce(s)/toppings you choose.
    ...See More

Poll: Do you think it's rude? Party invites and family.

Q

Comments (28)
    It's standard in my husband's family. We had practically the same guest list for my first 2 daughters, but their birthdays are in Nov and Dec, so we used our Community center and limited the party to 3 hours. My son's birthday is in June and we held the party in our yard. And that was where we went wrong. Yeah- some guests lingered till the wee hours of the morning. Really, I can't believe DH survived, b/c I almost lynched him when the baby woke at 2am, and my 4 year old woke up crying at the same time and he was still partying it up in the yard with some friends. I sent my 4 year old to the window to call him crying-lol. It has been settled it will be our immediate family and local aunts and uncles and close friends (which is 2 families). DH finally listened to my voice of reason. Thanks for all your input. I will update and let you all know how it went Mid-May.
    ...See More
  • chase_gw
    14 years ago

I'll be there for sure! Hopefully with company but they have a new grand baby due yesterday and they are babysitting the others when called.!

Nancy, I make those pinwheels all the time. Always a huge hit. Diane (Craftyrn) posted the recipe a long time ago. Hers was a recipe from The Silver Palate. The only difference is her recipe calls for a light slathering....(can you slather lightly?) of dijon mustard instead of the basil.

I just love them!

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

I've marked it on my calendar and made a grocery list. I'll be there!

• annie1992
    14 years ago

I'll be at Elery's so I'll try to play. He loves pasta, me, not so much. Maybe like Beverly I'll learn to love it, I do think the whole wheat stuff is OK.

Annie

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The Pasta Party is this week!

I haven't decided on our menu yet, has anyone else?

Everybody is welcome to join in at any time, virtual dinner's are fun. Join in with the chit chat or just post about your dinner. There are some really good recipes posted on the Pasta Cookalong thread.

Nancy

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

ttt

• adriennecooks
    14 years ago

I'm new here, but I would love to participate. Can someone hold my hand thru this? I understand that I must prepare a dish featuring pasta on Saturday and then post here about it and then post up the recipe to the thread. Is this correct? Thank you.

• caliloo
    14 years ago

Well - DARN! As it turns out, we can't participate. THere is a findraiser dinner for our local historic library that evening and I had already sent our check.

Hope you all have a great time and I am waiting to C&P the Pasta thread until all the recipes are there.

Alexa

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Adrienne! Glad to have you join in.
    Sounds like you've got the idea. Ask any questions right here on this thread and someone will answer...

The main goal is to have fun!!!!

Nancy

• adriennecooks
    14 years ago

Thank you Nancy, I will join in and see you on Saturday too!

• shaun
    14 years ago

Guess what? I can't participate after all. I'm leaving for a camping trip with my girlfriends Friday and not coming back until Sunday. Can I still call it camping when we will be in an air conditioned motor home? hahaha!

Can't wait to read all about this when I get back! Have fun!!!

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Awwwww Shaun, we'll miss you, Have fun on the camping trip!!!

• shaun
    14 years ago

Thanks Nance..... I can't wait to see pictures!!!

• doucanoe
    14 years ago

I am going to have to sit this one out, too. Busy day tomorrow and the kids are coming. Sarah is vegetarian so I decided to make enchiladas, one batch chicken and one batch of Sharon's spinach & cheese.

But I am saving many of the pasta recipes posted on the cookalong thread, and will definitely have a "pasta party" of my own or two in the near future!

Have fun everyone!

Linda

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Welcome Adrienne ( I love that name...Meredith was almost an Adrienne!)

Not sure what I'm making but I'm leaning towards Clive's favourite lasagna. Fresh noodles, light on the meat, fresh moz, ricotta and bechamel. Lots of herbs.

Either that or I may make the Pasta Calabrese I posted. We love that dish too.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

So who is still playing and are you doing any prep tonight?

I'm making dessert tonight, cheesecake, and trying to decide on a few appetizers. Think I'll make a version of the pin wheels that Nancy posted above. I have surpise cheese balls/nips in the freezer and maybe some spiced pecans.

My dinner is pretty simple for the most part.
    Appetizers(still deciding)
    Ceasar Salad
    Fettuccine Alfredo with grilled chicken seasoned with a tuscon blend added to it.(wanted shrimp but the kids don't like it)
    Steamed veggie...probably broccoli
    Garlic bread
    Cheesecake for dessert

What are the rest of y'all doing or thinking about. Should we continue to post here or start a new thread?

David

• BeverlyAL
    14 years ago

Well, wouldn't ya know! Something came up and I can go!

Beverly

• JoanM
    14 years ago

Well I searched my to try file to find something pasta related that was a recipe. I never use recipes with pasta. I found Short Ribs with Tagliatelle by Giada. I remember watching her cook this and drooling. I found some nice short ribs (I have never cooked these) but I could not find the tagliatelle. My last resort was the Italian market tonight. I wound up with Parpadelle. I probably butchered the spelling but I am too buzzed too care. I don't think I can make mine until Sunday since my honey is picking up my Mom from a flight tomorrow sometime around 5 pm and they are the folks that I cook for. So... I will be a day late but I am preparing to shave some bittersweet chocolate over pasta. That sounds really odd to me but what the heck. It looked delicious on the Food Network.

This will be the attempt.

Short Ribs with Tagliatelle
    Giada De Laurentiis

3 tablespoons olive oil
    2 ounces chopped pancetta (about 1/2 cup)
    2 1/2 pounds short ribs
    Salt
    Freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup all-purpose flour
    1 medium onion, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    1/2 cup fresh parsley leaves
    2 cloves garlic
    1 (14-ounce) can tomatoes (whole or diced)
    1 tablespoon tomato paste
    1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary leaves
    1 teaspoon dried thyme
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 bay leaf
    2 1/2 cups beef broth
    3/4 cup red wine
    1 pound fresh or dried tagliatelle
    4 to 6 teaspoons shaved bittersweet chocolate

Place the olive oil in a large heavy soup pot over medium heat. Cook the pancetta until golden and crisp, about 4 minutes. Meanwhile, season the short ribs with salt and pepper, and dredge in the flour. Using a slotted spoon, remove the pancetta from the pan and set aside. Add the short ribs to the pan and brown on all sides, about 7 minutes total.

Meanwhile, combine the onion, carrot, parsley and garlic in a food processor and blend until finely minced. Then add the tomatoes and tomato paste and pulse.
    Once the short ribs are browned, carefully add the mixture from the food processor to the pot. Return the pancetta to the pot and stir. Add the rosemary, thyme, oregano, bay leaf, beef broth, and wine. Bring the mixture to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Remove the lid and simmer for another hour and a half, stirring occasionally. Remove the meat and bones from the pot. Discard the bones. Shred the meat and return it to the pot. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper, or to taste.
    Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil over high heat. Add the pasta and cook until tender but still firm to the bite, stirring occasionally, about 8 to 10 minutes for dried pasta and 2 to 3 minutes for fresh. Drain the pasta, reserving 1 cup of the cooking liquid. Add the pasta to the pot and stir to combine. Add the reserved pasta liquid 1/4 cup at a time, if needed, to moisten the pasta. Transfer to serving bowls, top each bowl with 1 teaspoon of chocolate shavings. Serve immediately.

• plllog
    14 years ago

I had forgotten about the pasta party and made some tonight, so here's my little contribution to the festivities.

It started because my kitchen isn't completely finished and I didn't have any new groceries since Passover. I was trying to figure out what to magically produce for a light, but decent, dinner, when I thought of spaghetti. The result is a triumph of the design of my new kitchen, even if it's just a quickie dish.

DeBoles Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti Made With Jerusalem Artichoke Flour (I swear that's the name. It's the best!)

Sauteed in olive oil, with Italian Herb and Garlic Pepper, and merlot:
    Chopped onion
    Pressed garlic
    Chopped yellow bell pepper
    Halved heirloom little tomatoes

A little Rao's Arrabbiata sauce in with the pasta, and shredded asiago to finish. A one dish meal, but a party in a bowl.

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Plllog, that sounds good. Anything you make in that new kitchen is going to taste awesome! I've been lurking over on the Kitchens forum and have seen it!

I think we should continue to post to this thread as we cook our pasta tomorrow.

David, your menu sounds delish!

Nancy

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I've been looking through recipes and I've decided to make a Lobster Pasta for tonight.

The lobster is out of the freezer and I'll do some prep work this afternoon.

Prosciutto Pinwheels, salad, and for dessert puff pastry turnovers. Guess I need to decide on the filling for those. Thought about them because of I have an extra sheet of PP.

Invited a lobster loving friend over!

Nancy

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

I'm a lobster loving friend! (Sadly, it wasn't me...)

We had our pasta party this afternoon. I made Gnocchi

With a sauce of slivered bacon, onions, garlic and chives.

Since we missed our ''second breakfast'', we had this for lunch.

Whew! Now, I'm off to the garden to wear myself out.

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Oh YUM! lobster pasta, can't go wrong with that.

Claire, gnocchi is one thing I have never made. I love it but for some reason it intimidates me. You've inspired me!

I decided on lasagna. The sauce is simmering and smells great. Nothing beats home canned tomato sauce with some added basil, garlic and oregano.

My BIL just called to say that he and my niece decided to come up to the lake so I've invited them for dinner and the contractor doing our garage just let it be known that his wife has to go to work this PM and so he's invited too.

I'll take pics and keep you posted.

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

My appy's are ready to go into the oven, Kim bought fresh bay leaves at the grocery instead of basil so I had to improvise....used pesto from the freezer instead.

Filling for turnovers, almost ready.

Baby bok choy prepped, that will be cooked in the wok.

Off to the kitchen now to make salad dressing!

Nancy

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

We are having cocktails and munchies now. Kids are playing with the dogs and we are fixing to open presents and then eat. Dessert with coffee later. Have a great evening y'all. I'll touch base later tonight or tomorrow with a few pics hopefully.

David

• plllog
    14 years ago

Thanks, Nancy! I don't know if it's the new kitchen that flavored it, but it was really good, even if it wasn't scratch. ;)

I'm looking forward to the reports and pictures.

• claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Sharon, this is probably the third time I've made it. I confess I was intimidated too until I made it. Just a little tip...As soon as the gnocchi rises to the top of the cooking water, go ahead and take it out. It's done! I left mine in a little too long (probably about 90 seconds while I was grabbing the skimmer) and I know it could have been lighter if I'd added it to the sauce right away. It wasn't heavy, but I do think it absorbs water the longer it stays in the cooking pot. FYI.

Enjoy your pasta parties everyone. I'm looking forward to hearing about them and seeing your pictures!

• chase_gw
    14 years ago

Well my pasta party was a ton of fun......except for the pasta!

The lasagna was awful....seriously awful. The pasta was hard and chewy and didn't absorb the sauce at all. Have no idea why but , not good!

Didn't seem to matter much to those I was feeding...guys on their own.

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

Chase, I'm so sorry your lasagna wasn't a success. But your tomato sauce made our dinner perfect.

At the last minute I decided to play and had to go out to buy semolina. I unearthed my Simac 700 electric pasta machine that I haven't used in at least 25 years and made fresh fettuccine using 2/3 semolina 1/3 AP flour and four eggs. Of course I over thought it and searched the web for videos on using this machine. After a fruitless search I just forged ahead and it worked perfectly. The pasta was tender and cooked in three minutes. We had it with a pint of tomato sauce that we canned last fall using Chase's great recipe. I added about a half cup of red wine and cooked it down some more to evaporate the extra liquid and added a generous tablespoon of butter ala Hazen and combined a little sauce with the fettuccine - it was simple, delicate and delicious. We had grilled chicken/apple sausage and a romaine and mandarin orange salad on the side.

It was too dark for pictures; I'll try to post a shot of the remaining pasta drying on cooking chopsticks stuck in an open cabinet.

Claire, your gnocchi looks wonderful. I'm intimidated too but my DIL's brother makes wonderful gnocchi and has offered to teach me.

Hope everyone else enjoyed their dinners as much we did.

Lee

• sally2_gw
    14 years ago

I so wanted to go all out for this pasta party, and make my pasta from scratch, and do lots of pictures, but life gets in the way. We are heading out of town before the crack of dawn, and I had to work today, and had a lot of stuff to get done after work, so ... isn't it great that pasta can be so easy to throw together in just 15 or 20 minutes? I had some asparagus in the fridge, and some canned Muir Glen tomatoes that I wanted to try (not as impressed as I thought I'd be) so I whipped up a simple dish of pasta from store bought spaghetti that DH brought home after he got off work. He took a couple of pictures, but I don't have time to post them till next week. I'll post the recipe I used then, too, but not tonight - I'm just too tired. I'm looking forward to readiing about everyone's pasta parties when I get back. We may do another party tomorrow at our farmhouse, if we can get some people to come over, or for just the two of us, but for now, I'd better get some sleep, as we're heading out way early in the morning.

Everyone enjoy their pasta parties!

Sally

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

I made my pasta this morning. No recipe.
    I sauteed some onions and garlic in some leftover lime/cumin marinade. Added evap milk, white wine, baby shrimp and some fresh parsley.
    Mixed with spiral kamut noodles.
    So, I guess I made Shrimp Pasta in Lime Cumin Cream Sauce!

Sounds ritzy, huh? Tastes great!
    We didn't eat it tonight though as we ended up picking up a pizza in town. Humph!

Do I get bonus points for also making an Italian Pasta Salad?

Rainbow Spirals, pepperoni, onion, green olives, celery, green pepper, mozz and parm cheeses in italian dressing. Salad/lunch for this next week.

I can't wait to see photos!

Deanna

• ann_t
    14 years ago

OOOH I like the sound of Nancy's dinner. Can't go wrong with lobster.

Lee, homemade pasta and Sharon's sauce. What could be better.

Deanna, what did you do with the pasta you made?

I took Italian sausage out of the freezer before leaving for work this morning. As soon as I walked in the door, I put my favourite sauce on to cook. Sausage and Rosemary. Let it simmer for a little over an hour and then served it with fusilli.

• centralcacyclist
    14 years ago

I didn't make pasta or any dinner this evening, I went to the symphony instead. One of my good friends is dating the CEO of the symphony and he offered me a ticket so how could I say no to Beethoven and Brahms?

Now I am having a glass of Barbera with a wee bowl of Goldfish crackers. Surprisingly not a bad combo.

I had in mind some whole wheat penne with garlic, butter, and some herbs. I am enjoying reading about everyone else's pasta explorations. :)

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm a little slow this morning... partied late last night.
    Then when I went to upload the pictures from the camera, my battery was too weak. So on to the charger it went for the night.

Everyone's pasta sounds great!

Claire, you've convinced me to make Gnocchi, yours looks yummy! I've been going to make it for years, it's now higher on my list.

Sharon, sorry you weren't happy with the way your lasagna turned out. I bet no one else noticed, we are our own severest critic's.

Lee, that pasta machine went unused for 25 years??? Glad you dug it out! Now you can play and get into making some designer pastas!!! Lucky you to have Chase's sauce on hand.

Sally, isn't it great that pasta dishes can be long and involved or quick and easy and they all are good.
    I'll be looking forward to your pictures when you return.

Deanna ...lot's of extra points for making two pasta dishes. Lime, Cumin Creams Sauce....yippee!!!!!

Ann, you never fail to make my mouth water. Your pasta looks and sounds wonderful.

So here I go with my dinner pic's.

The Prosciutto Pinwheels before baking and after. Recipe posted earlier on this thread. I had to use basil pesto from the freezer, it was probably better than using just fresh basil. I doubled up on the prosciutto because I didn't want to throw the extra away. I liked the stronger flavor.

Our salad was a favorite, wedge of iceberg with bacon, eggs and homemade 1000 Island dressing.

I made the Lobster Pasta because I had pre cooked frozen lobsters in the freezer. I thawed them and removed the meat. Then the shells and sauce ingredients went into the pot...

Here's the finished dish. There's also baby bok choy which needed to be used. I'll post both recipes below. I left out the ginger in the bok choy recipe, I didn't feel ginger would go that well with the lobster pasta.

It all turned out really good!

Lobster Pasta with Herbed Cream Sauce Bon Appétit : December 2004

Yield: Makes 10 servings

3 1 3/4-pound live lobsters

3 tablespoons olive oil
    1/4 cup tomato paste
    2 large plum tomatoes, chopped
    1/3 cup dry white wine
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 garlic cloves, sliced
    2 fresh tarragon sprigs
    2 fresh thyme sprigs
    2 fresh Italian parsley sprigs
    6 cups whipping cream

1 1/2 pounds fettuccine or linguine

Bring very large pot of salted water to boil. Add lobsters. Boil until cooked through, about 12 minutes (or cook in batches, if necessary). Using tongs, transfer lobsters to large rimmed baking sheet. Remove meat from tail and claws; place meat in medium bowl. Remove any roe from bodies and place in small bowl. Cover and chill meat and roe (if any). Remove tomalley (green matter) from bodies and discard. Reserve bodies and shells.

Heat oil in heavy large pot over high heat. Add reserved lobster bodies and shells. Sauté 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low. Add tomato paste; stir 3 minutes. Stir in tomatoes, wine, vinegar, garlic, tarragon, thyme, and parsley. Add cream; boil 2 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer just until lobster flavor infuses cream, stirring occasionally, about 20 minutes. Strain sauce into large bowl, pressing on solids to extract as much liquid as possible. Discard contents of strainer. (Lobster and sauce can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover separately and chill.)

Transfer sauce to heavy large saucepan. Cut lobster meat into bite-size pieces; coarsely crumble roe, if using. Add to sauce. Gently rewarm over low heat, stirring occasionally.

Meanwhile, cook pasta in large pot of boiling salted water until just tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally. Drain; return pasta to pot. Add sauce; toss over medium-high heat until sauce coats pasta, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to large shallow bowl and serve.

Bok Choy Stir Fry Recipe 1 1/2 pounds bok choy or baby bok choy 1 1/2 tablespoons canola, vegetable or peanut oil 1\-2 cloves garlic, finely minced 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger 3 tablespoons broth or water (or 2 tablespoons broth/water + 1 tablespoon wine) salt to taste 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil 1\. Start by trimming the stem off dont trim too much just the end. Cutting the thick stem off will ensure that the bok choy cooks evenly. Separate out the leaves, keep the tender center intact and clean under running water. Drain. 2\. Finely mince garlic and grate fresh ginger with a microplane grater. Grating the ginger helps break up the tough fibers! (and yeah, sometimes when the ginger is nice and fresh, I dont even bother peeling off the paper\-thin skin) 3\. Place wok or frying pan on your stove and pour in the cooking oil. Add the garlic and ginger. Turn the heat to medium\-high. Let the ginger and garlic gently sizzle in the oil. When the aromatics become fragrant and light golden brown, add the bok choy leaves. Toss very well to coat each leaf with the garlicky, gingery oil for 15 seconds. Pour in broth, water or wine. Immediately cover and let cook for 1 minute. Season with salt and drizzle a bit of sesame oil on top. Nancy
  • claire_de_luna
    14 years ago

Nancy, your lobster, pasta, pinwheels and salad look delicious.

I'm so impressed by all of you!

• dcarch7 d c f l a s h 7 @ y a h o o . c o m
    14 years ago

Hosta is a delicious vegetable. Young leaves are tender and mild.

I made stir fried hosta and hosta pasta (ravioli)
    You can use any spinach ravioli recipe.

dcarch

• annie1992
    14 years ago

Hmmm, I've never even THOUGHT to eat hostas, I don't have any but maybe I could sneak some of the neighbor's landscaping.....

Nah, I like the neighbors, I wouldn't want to upset them by eating their yard, LOL, and I'd rather have some of Nancy's lobster right now, I think, but the thought does interest me.

I spent the weekend at Elery's, we made crab rangoon and pork wontons for the appetizer reception and froze two hundred of each. We had dinner with his son and the new DIL to be on Saturday night, but we had soup he had already made.

It was a chicken broth based soup with bok choy and sweet potato stuffed ravioli, no pictures because I forgot the camera but it was good with a cold, crunchy salad made of fresh fennel, artichokes and edamame, courtesy of the deli counter at Whole Foods.

I just couldn't let you all party without me!

Annie

• JoanM
    14 years ago

I made Giada's short rib pasta that I posted earlier. I determined that I am not a big fan of short ribs. I had trouble shredding it. I had to use a knife to cut away all that gristle. We couldn't really taste the chocolate at all but I am sure that is because I went a little light while shaving that over the bowl. We loved the sauce though. I would like to try that sauce recipe with a nice pot roast. I think it would be delicious.

Cooks notes - when crisping up the pancetta, double the amount. It was too tasty to resist while it was on the side waiting to be added back to the pot :->

I hesitate to post a picture after Dcarch but what the heck.

• lakeguy35
    14 years ago

Lots of good looking and sounding food y'all!

Plllog, looks good. I'll have to pop over to kitchens and check yours out.

Clare, your gnoochi look great. I've got to in the groove and make some homemade pasta on of these days.

Sharon, sorry to hear about that. Like you said though your guest seemed to love it. That's all that really matters.

Lee, congrats on digging that machine out. We love Sharon's pasta sauces too. I have one jar left from last years canning. Good thing we will have fresh tomoatoes in a couple of months.

Sally, life does get in the way at times. Your quick pasta dish sounds good to me.

Deanna, I love a good pasta salad and yours sound great. One of my favorite sides in the summer.

Ann, that looks great. You put together some amazing dinners after working all day.

Nancy, I've not had a wedge salad in a long time...that looks great! Lobster pasta looks good too. You have me craving lobster again and it's only been a few weeks since the last time you started that craving.

dcarch, very cool pics! I don't think I could eat my Hosta though... LOL Mine are just now started poke through the ground.

Annie, sounds good. You two sure are kicking butt with getting all those appetizers ready for the weddding.

Joan,, sorry you were not happy with your final dish. The sauce does sound good though. Great pic!

We had a great evening here celebrating Mom's Birthday.

We started out with cocktails and some appetizers. Spiced pecans, pinwheels inspired by Nancy, and surprise cheese balls.

Ceasar salad

Fettucinne alfredo with tuscon grilled chicken, broccoli, and gilroy garlic bread from the garlic cookalong posts.

Dessert was cheesecake with strawberries but I forgot to take a pic of that. Great evening for sure.

This was fun y'all! I had great time cooking and eating with my friends here.

David

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

I guess a million deer can't be wrong about hosta!

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

I've loved reading about everyone's meals and seeing all the photos.

Oh yum, lobster pasta - I want that. Ann we like your sausage and rosemary sauce too I've made it several times.

I didn't know hosta was edible, of course I've now Googled and there are a number of recipes. Both the hosta dishes look good to me.

Joan, sorry you didn't like your sauce, it certainly looks good and pappardelle is my favorite pasta shape.

David your entire dinner looks good and I can imagine how happy it made your Mom to have that birthday dinner.

I went downstairs this morning thinking I would photograph my dried pasta draped over long cooking chopsticks stuck in an upper cabinet, but the pasta had really dried out and some of it had cracked at the top of the wood chopsticks and fallen to the counter I tried to adjust the rest and more fell down so I decided just to put the strands in a box and show you that. I slid the overfull box into a large soft plastic veggie bag, put a twistie on it and put it on a pantry shelf. I'm thinking of making a carbonara later this week. I also have a small bag of shorter pieces that will be fine as soup noodles.

Sadly when I was cleaning the parts, I found a mangled cap that covered the end of the spring rod in the kneading paddle. Of course parts are no longer available for my vintage machine.

Max may be able to save it, he has already been able to bend it into a closer shape than the picture shows and since the dough does heat up a bit as it is kneaded, and it's clear that the part was deformed when it went into the extrusion chamber and was pushed up against the large plastic screw that moves the dough he is going to try heating it in water from the Insta hot tap which is about 190°. If that doesn't work I'm going to try using it without the cap and see if I can just clean the dried dough out after using it. The space that it fills is only about 1/16" deep, I don't know what I could use to fill it. I thought of silicon caulk but the metal ring is part of the spring assembly and it needs to rotate. I will be very sad if after my success for the first time in 25 years, we can't make it work again.

Lee

• teresa_nc7
    14 years ago

"Pasta" related: did anyone see Lidia Bastianich on PBS this past Saturday? She made a "pasta" dessert where she made crepes then cut them into wide "noodles" and added them to a citrus sauce that contained some apricot jam and served with a dollop of whipped cream. This really appealed to me and seemed pretty easy also. You could make the crepes ahead, then cut them into the noodles and toss them in the warm sauce at the last minute.

Teresa

• ann_t
    14 years ago

Some very delicious looking and sounding Pasta dinners.

Claire, your gnocchi looks really good. You can never go wrong with bacon.

Joan, I love pasta sauces made with short ribs. Short ribs make a very rich meat sauce. So do oxtails.

Nancy, Oh my, I can almost taste your lobster sauce. Having a major craving here.

David I would be happy with your dinner from start to finish.

Lee, you've inspired me to make pasta today.

I hope Max can fix the part.

Teresa, Lidia is one of my favourites. What a great idea to make noodles from crepes.

Ann

• plllog
    14 years ago

I'm so enjoying everyone's stories and pictures!

I have a late entry! Proving I really can cook without jars (though I did use bulk grated hard cheeses rather than doing my own--forgive me!).

This is Tzimmis Lasagna, a cross cultural treat.

I had a couple of yellow squash that needed using, and I bought some fennel and shallots to go with it. Added a leftover, enormous, baked Yukon Gold, some garlic, some little peppers that were starting to shrivel and a green bell pepper that I never used. The basil had perished when I wasn't looking, however. The shallots and garlic, having no basil to play with, just got minced. The rest were sliced and oven roasted with a little steam (except the potato, which was already cooked). I'm still learning this new oven so only the peppers got really roasty. I didn't want to over cook the rest and pulled it when it seemed done enough to cook again in the lasagna. The little bit of steam did keep it from shriveling, which was the point.

Oh! I also bought some Lasagna noodles. I figured I'd try DeBoles semolina with Jerusalem artichoke flour since I like the whole wheat so well. They taste good, but don't have the wonderful flavor of the whole wheat (if they make whole wheat lasagna they don't carry it at my local store). I definitely should have oiled the water. I don't usually. I did cool them when they were out, but a few stuck together anyway. No biggie. They aren't as starchy-slimy as run of the mill white, but aren't as unsticky as the whole wheat. Good tooth though.

So instead of using a sauce, I pureed the end of the tzimmis (baby carrors, pearl onions, peewee potatoes, baby turnips, baby beets, sultanas, golden raisins, dried blueberries, dried cranberries and dried cherries, sauted in olive oil and sweet, heavy red wine), and added the ricotta and eggs to that.

Layered it up with a sprinkle of powdered romano and a sprinkle of shredded asiago, with the end of the container of asiago on top, with a sprinkle of parmisiano reggiano.

It really could have used the color and bite of the basil, but it's yummy!!

• wizardnm
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Darch, amazing! I never thought about eating hosta shoots. They are about to come up in my backyard garden right now. I'll leave them be though, I love the beautiful leaves.

Annie, the soup sounds really good. I've been into sweet potatoes lately.

Joanm, your picture turned out fine and that meat sauce sounds excellent. I'd vote for making it easier with a chuck roast too.

David, nice dinner!!!! I think your DM was a very lucky Birthday Girl! I would have loved every bite.

Lee, I hope Max was able to keep your pasta machine going. Now that it is out of hiding, there's more pasta to be made!

Teresa, I love the idea of crepe noodles. My head is spinning...

Plllog, Tzimmis Lasagna is new to me... sure looks and sounds good. Isn't it fun to get back into the swing of cooking now that your kitchen is done? I hope you share the finished photo's of your kitchen here. I'm sure there are many cooks who would appreciate what you have done.
    Your prep sink faucet is going to be my main kitchen faucet...I love every inch of it! (How's that for a teaser?) Please start a thread when you can....

I hope everyone enjoyed our little pasta party, I did! I find that sometimes I need a little extra push to cook and post..

I've already thought of some other fun party ideas.. if you have any please email me thru GW. This forum is really fun when you get involved and everyone is encouraged to do just that!

Thank you to all that participated, everyone did an outstanding job.
    If you were late to the party, please, add your dinner's to this thread.

Nancy

• dgkritch
    14 years ago

We finally got around to eating the Shrimp Pasta with Lime Cumin Cream Sauce. I just pan fired some fresh asparagus with Balsamic to go with it and shaved some Parm cheese on top. Tasty, but need lots more shrimp! You can't even see any in the photo!

Deanna

• lsr2002
    14 years ago

Deanna, even if you can't see the shrimp, I think your dinner looks and sounds great. And a perfect proportion of veg to pasta.

Lee

• lpinkmountain
    14 years ago

Tsimmes lasagne, now I've got to try it. Sounds way better than butternut squash lasagne, which I want to like but find it too bland.

• plllog
    14 years ago

Nancy, the kitchen isn't done yet. I'm catching up on other work right now, and chipping away at the list. As soon as things are finished I'll put together a tour and I'll be happy to post here too. It's taking me awhile to figure out what to cook, now that I can, but it's getting there!

Lpinkmountain, it turned out a great way to use leftovers. Roasting the vegetables (including butternut) is a great way to add some flavor and to make sure that the vegetables are cooked all the way through. Try adding a little lemon to the ricotta with butternut too. Other people use herbs or ground nuts to liven up butternut.