Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Yeast Sourdough with something extra...

Posted by trailrunner (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 13, 14 at 16:24

I have been baking with wild yeast sourdough for about 4 years . I started a culture from flour and water and never looked back. What a joy to bake without yeast and to explore the world of sourdough baking.I have baked bread since the mid-70's and had always used commercial yeast.

I keep my starter in the fridge between uses. I feed it whatever I am in the mood to feed it ;) This bake was with whole spelt and apple yeast water. I sometimes feed it kamut, or rye, and use whey for the liquid. I have fed it semolina and white AP flour as well. I sometimes divide the starter and feed 1/2 with one thing and the other 1/2 with something else and use both in the same batch of bread. You can see that there is an infinite variety that only your imagination can limit. I get many ideas from The Fresh Loaf and bread baking forum. My recipe for the original starter came from there as well as the apple yeast water.

One can make fruit yeast water from almost anything. Again only your imagination limits you. It is easiest to start with apple and explore from there. If anyone is interested I can explain how to do it. It is very easy and only takes four days.

Here are some pics of today's bake. This dough weighed 1800 grams and I made 2 boules. It contains 350 g levain made as I said with spelt and apple yeast water. The dough is made with semolina , kamut, sprouted rye and chestnut flours and King Arthur AP flour. The liquid for the dough is just filtered water. I always use 2% salt based on the weight of the flour...this is the standard in the majority of formulas. Salt helps to control fermentation speed and gluten development. My breads are all mixed briefly in a Kitchen Aid and then I use the stretch and fold method during the fermentation period. I also retard all of my breads in the fridge for at least 12 hrs. I bake in preheated 500 degree dutch ovens covered then uncovered. We like a fairly bold bake to insure complete caramelization of the crust.

Note the glisten to the crumb and the variety of hole sizes also note the thickness of the crust and how uniform it is for the whole slice. All of these depict the development of the dough and the fermentation and baking conditions.

Hope you enjoy and let me know if you would like more information. c

just out of fridge :

photo IMG_6893_zps14e8ac91.jpg

turned out of banneton :

photo IMG_6894_zps7fbce72f.jpg

photo IMG_6896_zpsd629c4aa.jpg

photo IMG_6897_zpsb0d59dfc.jpg

photo IMG_6904_zpsfeced175.jpg

perfect crumb :

photo IMG_6903_zpsb898ea8c.jpg

photo IMG_6903_zpsb898ea8c.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Yeast Sourdough with something extra...

Now that is one beautiful loaf of bread.

~Ann

o

Nice bread from free-ranged organic yeast. :-)

dcarch

o

C, that's impressive. Ann T is right, it's a beautiful loaf of bread. When it gets a little warmer here, I'll try to start sourdough again.

I've been woefully unsuccessful so far, in spite of 4 or 5 tries. I've tried fussing with it and I've tried benign neglect. Neither has worked, LOL, but I do usually get a nice jar full of fuzzy mold eventually...

Annie

o

I love the thinness of the crust.

o

Ann,,,THANK YOU ! Your breads and all of your cooking are amazing. I always admire everything that comes out of your kitchen. You have such talent and your camera abilities are beyond fabulous.

dc...haha...free for sure...whatever is "out there" is what I get. Thank you !

annie...on Ann's other thread I posted several links and suggestions. Please give a look see to the threads on TFL that I linked. There is a wild strain of yeast out there just waiting for you ! Thank you !

Cloudy the crust is just amazing. When using the yeast water you really get some lovely caramelization due to the fruit sugars...which you don't taste in the bread. Also the "bold bake" at the high temps really helps. It is crisp and chewy both. Really lovely. Thank you for looking. c

o

I am in awe. I would definitely buy the book if that photo were the cover.

o

Well that is one of the sweetest things anyone has ever said to me ...thank you KD....I look forward to seeing your success soon ! c

o

Wow! Very impressive. It's an encouragement to go back to the start...I mean the starter.

o

Thanks, C, I'll go review those. As soon as my kitchen gets above 50F, I'll be starting tomatoes, peppers and sourdough. Not all in the same container, of course, LOL.

Annie

o

mustangs...thank you !! You HAVE to post when you get going with it...everyone needs to learn how. It is an addiction..a good one.

Annie..LOL>..you are so funny. All in the same container would give unique flavor !! (( )) thank you . c

o

Yum! So, I'll bite...where's the best place for a novice to get up to speed on this? Even though the new kitchen still isn't complete, what is done is many times over more functional that the prior kitchen and I'm ready to start making things again. :)

o

I have seen an awful lot of bread photos here but this one blew me away! Just pass me the loaf and some butter please.

o

Hi andrea,,I linked two places on The Fresh Loaf ( TFL for short) on Ann's other sourdough thread. Here is the link below and also Debra Wink has a terrific way of achieving a sourdough starter that works right away if you follow it exactly. It helps to do some reading and see pics so you know what to expect from the process. Don't worry too much about it and let nature take its course. Often times I think folks ruin the starter by overdoing the feeding . Stirring it and giving it plenty of air are a key component to success. Please do follow up so we can see your progress. c

read the pineapple starters Part 1 and Part 2 for a lot of good help.

http://www.thefreshloaf.com/search/node/debra wink sourdough

Here is a link that might be useful: TFL link

o

It looks like a perfect loaf to me. And the interior looks so moist!

o

Thank you teresa...one of the lovely things about yeast water is the tender crumb and how long it stays fresh . c

o

How sour is the bread made that way? I like the slight tanginess of an overnight levain, but not much sourer.

o

apple yeast water or any of the other fruit yeast waters completely cancel out all sour...that is why a lot of folks like it. In addition you do have a different crumb structure and crust when using the yeast water. The way to get the "sour" that you like ...more or less is the fermentation process, the kinds of flour you use, the amount of starter and whether you leave the starter on the counter or keep in the fridge and how many feedings you do before use...you can see that it is all a science. My breads are not all that sour as a usual thing since DH doesn't care for too sour.

If you go to the links I have put in this thread and the one ann started you will see a lot of info on The Fresh Loaf. You also can google less sour sourdough and get a lot of info. It would be a great idea to do some reading before you begin. It is a lot of fun to also just begin and see where it leads you. The link to Debra Wink and her method of getting a starter going is a great place to start. Let me know if I can help in some way. c

o

trailrunner - thank you for the links earlier and the info...I apologize because I forgot to thank you before. I'm going to sit down and do a bit of reading up on it soon and hopefully get my head wrapped around it a bit to start experimenting. We're still in the midst of remodel madness and then adjusting to new appliances, so I'm not certain I'm up to much experimentation just yet since I'm having plenty of adventure learning about the induction cooktop and having a convection oven as opposed to a standard, but hopefully soon.

o

Thanks, Trailrunner. I'll have to look into why the fruit yeast waters make a less sour bread. I've never made bread with no bought yeast at all.

o

andrea..look forward to seeing your finished kitchen! No hurry...the articles will still be there and help is only a question away!!

cc...it has to do with the enzymatic action of the yeasts on the flour and I believe the acid from the fruit..nevertheless it is much less sour . Fast to get the apple starter going only 4 days and then to check to make sure it will raise bread simply take out 50grams of the water and 50 grams flour either white or rye and mix very well and cover and place in 80 degree place and should easily double in 5-6 hrs or less. If not give apple water one more day in warm place...should be really fizzy and smell wonderful. Also start with a sterilized jar and stir it often to get plenty of oxygen in it and then recover.

Below I will link to a great tutorial on starting a culture..these folks have a wonderful blog and very good recipes. They also answer emails !

Here is a link that might be useful: starter at Weekend Bakery

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here