SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
shannonaz

Meal planning, food freshness etc...long :)

shannonaz
13 years ago

I need some help from seasoned home cooks!

I would like to have fresh, home-cooked meals for my family but I am having trouble with organization and other issues, I am hoping others have ideas and suggestions that I haven't thought of! Here is what I am doing and where I am getting stuck:

I have time to menu plan and shop on Sundays and I like to have a fresh start to the week. I have about a million cookbooks and ideas for things to make. I like doing what I consider classic Sunday things for dinner. Tonight I want to make roast chicken. I save the bones to make stock or I start stock Sunday night if I have enough bones. I am making butternut squash soup using frozen squash that I baked last time I made the soup. In the winter I will make a hearty soup on Sundays or Mondays to eat for lunches. So far so good.

I like to make a casserole every week. I consider home-made enchiladas a casserole. My family is so small/young right now that a regular casserole will last for a while. We eat the left overs for a dinner and my husband will eat it for a "fourth meal"- he doesn't eat enough early in the day so he often eats another meal a few hours after dinner. This is where I run into problems. We can't have casserole on Mondays for scheduling reasons (I often make fish that is prepped and takes 10-15 minutes total to cook, a prepped casserole takes over 45 minutes to warm thru because it is cold...) So that means I could make the casserole Tuesday.

So, buy meat and fresh veggies Sunday and use to make the casserole Tuesday. Then we take several days to eat the rest of the casserole. Is it really ideal to be eating something on Saturday that was purchased the previous Sunday? How long do you all keep fresh food? I am the opposite of paranoid about food freshness because I have never gotten sick but I think I push the limits and I want to keep my family healthy. When I read official food-storage and keeping guidelines they strike me as absurdly strict and ridiculous, but I want to do what is best for my family...

Some trouble I am having with possible solutions:

-We don't love frozen veggies or frozen foods, I freeze mostly cooked chicken, stocks, baked goods, cooked squash and woody herbs. Oh, and I do have frozen raw meat and fish, of course. I haven't had the best luck with frozen meals per se. I like to save that for survival mode (morning sickness, newborn, surgery recovery etc.) Rather than everyday life :)

-I don't use a lot of prepared or pantry foods.(I try to keep things pretty low in starch and sugar)

-I can INTEND to go to the grocery store more often but it often doesn't get done and we end up eating take-out instead of home-made food. My husband and I have two dinner dates a week and often do take-out/movie night Fridays and that is a TON of eating out all ready!!

-I am good at following a recipe and I am a very good baker BUT I can not fly by the seat of my pants or throw things together. I worked in a culinary program for a few years and the the chefs and other helpers were aghast that I never cook without a recipe :( I use exact measurements, I take notes about what I want to change, substitute etc. I do know to double and triple some flavorings/spices because we like strong flavors but I still measure and take notes, usually. Yes, I know this is a weakness, but I love that things almost always turn out well :) We budget for quality ingredients and I find it agonizing to waste them on a "flop" I think you have to be willing to make mistakes in order to become a really great cook and I just am NOT there yet :)

Cooking resources seem to fall into two categories: gourmet, hobby, pleasure cooking and eating (so, a lot of what I see on this forum) OR just-get-food-on-the-table cooking which involves a lot of packaged ingredients, condensed soup and freezing complete meals. I have the sensibilities/skill set of the former but the lifestyle/priorities of the latter :) after my (hopefully many) babies are older or my husband is done with grad school/career-building and can join me I hope to get back to more involved culinary pursuits but for now I need a third way...

If you have made it this far, thank you!!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Integrity Woodworking Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry Professionals