Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Rinse Corned Beef First?

Posted by stir_fryi (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 16:03

Do you rinse your corned beef before cooking? I always rinse that gross gel off of it first but my MIL told me my roast has no flavor now and not to rinse it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Rinse Corned Beef First?

I've heard not to rinse it, but I cannot help myself. I think mine still has lots of flavor.

o

No, I don't rinse mine. Those seasonings are on there for a reason, or at least that's my theory, so I just stick it in a pan on top of the veggies, add liquid and cook it.

Annie

o

My corned beef comes packed in cryovac....with a separate spice packet to add to the cooking water.
In the "olden days" corned beef was sold directly from the corning liquid, and there was no need to rinse it....but my mother always rinsed or wiped all meat.
Yes...I rinse...if you don't that gook sort of swirls around in the water in a most disgusting way....
Probably no good reason to do that....but I do.
Your corned beef has no flavor? I think your MIL is putting you on!!
Linda C

o

Well the recipe for my corned beef which I'll be cooking on Saturday clearly says rinse well. And given that in my corned beef thread I was scared off a bit because of the saltpetre I'm using, yes, I'll be following that recipe to a tee and will be rinsing well!

o

I rinse mine...it's so gross!!!!!!!!!!
My corned beef always tastes just fine.

Linda

o

I never made it before this week. I rinsed mine, then mixed together yellow mustard and brown sugar. Added a splash of beer to it and spread it on top. Mixed a beer and a cup of water together and poured it over the veggies (carrots and onions). Cooked in a crockpot for 10 hrs. on low.
Jo

o

OH dear!~ I never rinsed it AND I poured all the juices from the bag into the pot with the water too. I thought that was all seasonings that had to go in there to make it taste good.

From now on, I'll rinse and not dump any juices in the bag into the pot. Ew now I'm grossed out at myself.

o

I rinse mine over a big seive so I can catch all the herbs/seasonings/etc and return them to the pot.

Past few years I've been buying my CB from Trader Joe's, Niman Ranch brand, a growing cooperative of ranchers that 'raise livestock traditionally, humanely and sustainably to deliver the finest tasting meat in the world.' Trader Joes has rebadged it as their own, if you can't find it next year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Niman Ranch

o

shaun, don't worry about it, it's just the juices from the meat, drawn out by all that salt. I never rinse, I figure I cover mine with water anyway and I don't do one darned thing with the cooking liquid, although I've tried to use it for soup and it just isn't right...

when I make my own corned beef, I rinse it because it's covered with the rub, too intense if I don't rinse it.

Annie

o

It never crossed my mind to rinse it! Mine was delicious. Will have leftovers tonight.

o

I rinse my corned beef then boil it for a minute or 2 to get rid of some salt, then I change the water and proceed with the cooking. I have done this several times and I do not find that the taste of the meat is compromised.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here