Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Avocados-help!!!

Posted by gemini40 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 15:59

Have you any suggestions as to how one goes about ripening avocados ?

june

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Avocados-help!!!

Put it in a brown paper bag with a banana.
or just lay it on the counter for a couple of days.

o

Sounds easy enough will give it a try.

Thanks, june

o

An apple in the bag works, too, if you are out of bananas.

E

o

I just leave mine sitting on the counter, they seem to ripen much faster than I can eat them.

Annie

o

I always have a couple on the counter. When I use one I get another out of the refrigerator so I always have a ripe one. It only takes a day or so to ripen them that way as they ripen very slowly in the refrigerator.

Claudia

o

If you are in a big hurry, microwave it.

It will be ready, but less tasty.

dcarch

o

Microwaving fruit doesn't make it ripe just soft.

o

Pastst... your refrigerator comment reminded me of something. Pretty sure avocados are one of those things that kinda goes into suspended animation in the fridge. Bought a nice big avocado today... not nearly ripe, but will be in a few days on counter. Price was really good. If I had remembered the fridge trick, would bought 2 more.

o

So how long will an avocado last in the fridge? I found one that's been there at least a month, it got pushed to the back on the bottom shelf. It's still firm, not soft. I'm afraid to cut it, I figure it's all brown inside.

Or is it?

Annie

o

Annie, I think that depends on how ripe it is when you put it in the fridge. I put mine in to save them if they're almost ripe and I'm not ready for them that day or the next. Then they last less than a week in the fridge. They do ripen slowly while they're in there, at least they seem to finish the process. I think yours must have been put in the fridge while very hard. I'm wondering if it will ripen if you keep it at room temperature for several days. Maybe it will never ripen. Please report back!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here