Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Corned beef in a bag?

Posted by caliloo (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 16, 12 at 15:14

One of my office mates asked me today if she could make corned beef in an oven bag for tomorrow. I have no idea since I've never used one. Do you know if it can be done?

Alexa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Corned beef in a bag?

I've done it with a corned beef eye round - not a brisket. I don't know why it would make any difference.

T

o

I've used an oven bag before, but Teresa is right; it doesn't make any difference. Just less mess to clean up!

o

Well....here we go again. IMHO corned beef needs to be boiled, for many reasons, not the ;east of which is to cook out some of the salt.
She could cover it with water and simmer for a while and then put it into an oven bag....but why bother? Just simmer it a little longer.

o

I agree with Lindac. DH and I have either corned beef or cottage ham quite regularly. I've done blind tasting with my husband and have not told him whether I simmered or baked. Simmering wins hands down in our house. An added plus is the tasty water for cooking cabbage, potatoes and carrots. As far as clean up, a pot with a ring around it isn't that tough to clean - wipe ring while it's still warm with a paper towel, squirt some dish detergent into pot, and it's clean!

o

Not quite OT, but a "live and learn" lesson on corned beef. A million years ago, when I got first microwave... big, heavy thing. Since it was a new "toy" used it for a lot of things as I learned what worked and what didn't. Actually attempted to cook corned beef in it!! Technically, it was "cooked" in no time, but turned into a rock solid hunka meat. Ended up dumping it into a big pot and boiling... like I had been taught. It took that long simmer to get it to being tender. Luckily, short spin in microwave didn't destroy it, and meal was salvagable.

o

There is no one way to cook corned beef. Do a Google search and you will see. Just a metter of preference.

Corned beef cares about two conditions, how hot and how long.

I have done corned beef many ways (except microwave LOL ).

Recently, I prefer sous vide corned beef. (yes, in a plastic bag)

135 F for 48 hours. At this temperature, medium rare corned beef is truly juicy and tender. There is no need to cut across the grain, which I classify as making the meat chewable but not tender.

At 135 F, I had measured, the shrinkage is less, which means juicier meat.

dcarch

o

Agreed Dcarch. I've done CB a number of ways. However, boiling and submerged in liquid is not one of them.

That does not mean it is wrong for others if that is what they prefer - IMHO.

Simmered with a moderate amount of liquid on the stove top or in the oven in a covered pot works well also.

I stopped cooking the vegetables in the pot with the meat a long time ago. I take one cup of the cooking liquid and another cup or two of water and braise the vegetables in that. They still have the flavor of the corned beef but aren't salt laden.

And I have baked it in a bag or in a foil covered pan with a small amount of liquid. When I use either of those methods do a water bath the day before to remove some of the salt.

Many ways to do corned beef and have it turn out delicious!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here