Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Chicken pot pie from scratch (or almost)?

Posted by ajsmama (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 14, 13 at 15:13

I was going to make chicken pot pie tonight after seeing Pi day thread, I've got boneless skinless breasts, cream of chicken soup and frozen mixed veggies but can't seem to find a recipe using raw chicken. Only leftover or canned cooked chicken. Any ideas how long to cook chicken (cubed) in the condensed soup (how much water)? before adding veggies and a (bisquick) biscuit topping? I want to make sure it's not undercooked!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Chicken pot pie from scratch (or almost)?

ajsmama, I think you could gently poach the chicken breasts in about two cups of water, or chicken broth along with some rosemary, celery leaves or thyme, whatever you have on hand and salt and pepper. When cooked chop the chicken into chunks and add to the frozen vegetables. Then to the cooking liquid maybe add some chicken base and thicken with a corn starch slurry. Top with the bisquick. Two cups of liquid fits my pie pan exactly. I don't make a creamy chicken pot pie, so this is how I make mine.

Di

o

The chicken will cook better if you just poach it in water - that way you will not scorch the soup. Depending on the size of the cubes, I would expect it to be done in 15 to 20 minutes in simmering water. You can then use the cooking water in the pie filling. You can tell the chicken is done when it is completely opaque, but since you will be cooking it again, it should definitely be fully cooked after 30 minutes in the oven.

To poach the chicken, make sure you have enough water so that the chicken pieces will be separate and not stick to the bottom or sides of the pan. You can make a velouté sauce with the leftover cooking liquid, which you could use instead of the condensed soup or just serve on the side.

Lars

o

Use a meat thermometer to check.

You will not under cook or overcook.

dcarch

o

Like the prior posters, I wouldn't even try to cook the chicken in the soup. I never used canned soup so I can't say for sure, but I also think it would be easily scorched.

I'd poach the chicken first, be certain it is done, then add the vegetables and whatever sauce you are using, whether it is a thickened broth from cooking the chicken or the soup, top it with the biscuits, and bake.

I never made pot pie from anything except leftover chicken and when I came here and Ann T cooked chicken especially for pot pie, I was amazed, it had never occurred to me that you could just cook chicken especially for pot pie, LOL.

Grandma used to take vegetables, chicken and gravy and put that over biscuits, but pot pie was always made with regular pie crust. I like biscuits or puff pastry just as well.

Annie

o

I've already cubed the chicken and thrown it in a heavy stoneware baking pan (and then in the fridge while I was waiting for a reply/seatching the Internet).

Think I can turn oven on to 350, add a couple cups of water or broth to the pan and "poach" the chicken in that? How long to cook before adding soup (no more water) and veggies?

Gee, who would have thought it would be so hard to find a recipe where the chicken isn't already cooked?

Thanks for the quick responses.

o

I usually make a chicken pot pie from leftover roasted chicken. But there are times when I need cooked breasts, I usually cook them in water with seasonings and onion, celery and carrot, then I save the broth for whenever I need it. I have never made a pot pie with canned soup, just to salty for me.

Checkout the link below for what you are doing.

Nancy

Here is a link that might be useful: How to prepare boneless, skinless chicken breasts

o

If you have a microwave, cook the chicken cubes in there in a bowl....give them a couple of minutes then stir and a couple of more minutes...you may have to do it once again, depending on your oven and how much chicken you have. You can cook until juices run clear, chicken can be slightly pink in the center as it will cook more in the sauce. Drain the juices away before using....it'll be moist and tender for your pot pie.

o

Thanks - I was nervous about it taking a long time, so at 4 I threw it in a cold oven with some pan drippings (skimmed of most fat, but full of gelatin) I had in a jelly jar in the fridge from the last time I roasted chicken. I usually make my own chicken soup so didn't have any broth in the house. Added 1C of water and turned the oven on to 350. 15 minutes later stirred (chunks sticking together - I put a lot of chicken in the pan!) and it was almost done, added a bit more water and now I am going to thicken it with a roux, add some milk and the frozen veggies. I am sure this will be done before DH gets home, I will have to hold it in the oven and make the topping last minute!

I used to eat those Swansons individual pot pies as a kid (my mom doesn't really cook), Dad likes the Marie C's but they are way too fatty/unhealthy.

I never think of using my microwave to cook anything besides frozen veggies, scrambled eggs, or boil water! I will have to do that next time.

Thanks for the help.

o

This is the best scratch recipe I have ever made for CPP. I will never make another!

CHICKEN POT PIE

2 Cups Water
14 Ounces Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts, cut into ½” pieces
1 Cup Diced Carrots, about 2 Carrots,
1 Cup Sliced Celery, about 2 Ribs
1 Cup Diced Onion, about 1 medium Onion
3 Tablespoons Chicken Bouillon Granules
½ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
4 Tablespoons Butter
4 Tablespoons Corn Starch
1 Tablespoon Flour
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Cup Frozen Peas

In a large sauce pan or Dutch oven, combine the Water, Chicken Breast Meat, Carrots, Celery, and Onion. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add Chicken Bouillon, Pepper and Butter. Stir Flour and Corn Starch into the Cream, and stir into the Chicken Mixture. Simmer another 3 minutes, or until thickened. Add Peas and remove from heat.

Place prepared crust into a 9” pie plate and ladle in the filling, top with a second crust, cut in several vents for steam. Seal crust and flute edges. Place on a baking sheet and bake in a preheated 400 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until crust is golden and filling is bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.

Steve

o

Thanks for the recipe Steve. I did end up using the can of 98% fat free (but loaded with other bad stuff I'm sure) cream of chicken soup. The sauce was just too thin without it (guess I didn't use enough roux). I sauteed some onion and added the flour to that, then milk, some of the broth, then stirred it into the chicken, then added the soup and cooked a bit longer til DH got home, nuked the frozen veggies 3 minutes, drained and added them, made the Bisquick topping and cooked it 10 more minutes. Topping was nice and fluffy but bland - next time I'll add rosemary or something (DD is picky so I was afraid to try). She ate it, though not the green beans or peas. Said "it tastes better than it looks."

o

As Annie mentioned, I cook chicken specifically to make a chicken pot pie. I don't care for it made from leftover chicken.

I top it with a thyme pastry, puff pastry or homemade biscuits.

Chicken Pot Pie

Pie can be topped with herbed crust , Puff pastry, or topped with biscuits.

Dough
1 1/2½ cups all purpose flour
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 Tablespoons cold butter, cut into
1 inch pieces
1/4 cup cold solid vegetable
shortening cut into bits
1/4 cup ice water
Chicken filling
4 Large chicken breasts
5 Cups chicken broth
2 Teaspoons black peppercorns
2 bay leaves
4 springs fresh thyme
3 Large garlic cloves
2 Small carrots cut into 3/4 inch cubes
1 Small leek cut into 1/2 inch thick
pieces (about 2 cups)
1 Large sweet potato
1 or 2 stalks of celery
2 or three large baking potatoes cut
into 1 1/2 inch pieces
1 Cup frozen peas
Sauce
4 Tablespoons butter
5 Tablespoons all purpose flour
1 Cup heavy cream
2 Tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
salt and pepper

Use any combination of vegetables. I have added fresh green beans cut into 1/2 inch pieces.

Cook the chicken in a soup pot with the broth, peppercorns, bay leaves, thyme and garlic. Bring to a boil over high head. Reduce the heat to low and simmer very gently until the chicken is cooked.

Remove the chicken from the pot and let cool. Remove meat from bones. Strain broth to remove peppercorns and herbs. Bring strained broth to a boil and add leeks, celery and carrot. Cook a couple of minutes and then add sweet potatoes and regular potatoes. Remove vegetables from
broth to a bowl with the chicken and set aside.

Make sauce, by melting butter in a saucepan over low heat. Add flour and then cooking stirring frequently with a whisk, until the mixture develops a nutty smell, about 2 minutes. Slowly add half the broth to the roux, whisking constantly until the sauce thickens. Add the rest of the broth along with the cream and chopped thyme. Increase the heat to moderate and allow the sauce to simmer, stirring occasionally, until it is well steeped with the flavour of thyme. Remove the pan from the head. Add the vegetables and chicken to the sauce. Add frozen peas. Season with salt and pepper.

Spoon filling into the pan. Cover with pastry, trucking in edge to seal to side of pan. Reroll the dough trimmings and cut out several leaf shapes to decorate. Make small incisions in the crust to allow steam to escape.

Bake in a 375 degree oven until crust in golden brown, for about 50 minutes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Chicken Pot Pie with Crust Options

o

I poached two whole chicken breasts in the microwave the other day. Placed in a foodsafe bag, zapped at 3/4 power for 4 mins a side, perfectly cooked and moist.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here