SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

How do you deep fry?

shambo
11 years ago

As I've mentioned ad nauseum, my husband is on a salt-restricted diet. We've done very well for the last 7 years, but there are some things he really misses (me too!). Thanks to all the advice here, I've conquered my fear of grilling and last summer got started smoking meats. The only thing I really haven't tackled is deep fried foods.

I'd like to be able to make low sodium versions of some of his favorite foods -- egg rolls, vegetable tempura, general chicken, fish & chips style fish, etc.

So, how do you do it? Do you use a wok, a heavy dutch oven, a deep-sided electric skillet, or a counter-top electric fryer? Also, what kind of thermometer do you use?

I've got a Joyce Chen flat bottom wok for my induction cooktop and a large, deep-sided electric skillet. I've also got a Lodge enamel coated dutch oven. Unfortunately, I don't use it much because it's just too heavy for me, so I'm not sure it would be a good option.

Any ideas, suggestions, recommendations, or hints would be appreciated and most welcome. I wouldn't cook deep fried foods often, but it would be great to have a low sodium, crunchy fried treat every once in a while.

Here is a link that might be useful: Flat Bottom Wok

Comments (15)