SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
greekshambo

Wacky Cake Recipes (7 altogether)

shambo
13 years ago

The other post about the merits of boxed cakes mixes versus "from scratch" cakes reminded me of an article I cut out years ago from a magazine. It had recipes for seven of the "Wacky Cakes" -- ingredients mixed up right in the pan, using vinegar & baking soda as leavening, and usually including a bit of cornstarch.

I figured I should share the recipes. I know I've made the mocha & Mexican chocolate cake before. It's been so many years since I made cakes of any kind that I can't remember if I tried any of the other recipes.

When I taught junior high students, I always used one of the chocolate flavored cake recipes as a baking experience. It was really a lot of fun for the kids. I think it would be fun with children of any age.

Anyhow, have fun,

Sue

P.S. I OCRd the original, much stained magazine page. I think I caught all the weird symbols. But you never know...

Wacky Cakes Recipes

CARROT CAKE

1-1/2 cups flour

1-1/4 cups sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons each baking soda and cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 jars (4-1/2 ounces each) strained carrots

2/3 cup oil

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 can (8 ounces) crushed pineapple, drained

2/3 cup coconut

1/2 cup chopped walnuts

Cream-Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

In 9-inch square pan with fork, mix well flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add carrots, oil, eggs and vanilla. Mix briskly with fork until thoroughly blended. Stir in pineapple, coconut and walnuts. Bake in preheated 350 oven 40 to 45 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean and. cake pulls away from sides of pan. Place the pan on a rack to cool. Spread with frosting. Makes 9 servings.

CREAM-CHEESE FROSTING

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened

1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

2 cups confectioners sugar

With wooden spoon, cream cheese, butter and vani1la until well blended. Add sugar; beat until smooth.

-----------------------------

MOCHA CAKE

1-1/4 cups flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

3 tablespoons cocoa

1 teaspoon each baking soda and instant coffee powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup oil

1 tablespoon vinegar

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup water

Mocha Frosting (recipe follows)

In 8 or 9 inch square pan with fork, mix well flour, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, baking soda, coffee powder and salt. Add oil, vinegar, vanilla and water. Mix briskly with fork until thoroughly blended. Bake in preheated 350 oven 40 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan. Cool in pan on rack. Spread with frosting. Makes 9 servings.

MOCHA FROSTING

3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened

1-1/2 cups confectioners sugar

2 tablespoons cocoa

1/2 teaspoon each instant coffee powder and vanilla

1 tablespoon milk

With wooden spoon, mix butter, sugar, cocoa, and coffee. Add vanilla and milk and beat until smooth.

GINGERBREAD

2-1/2 cups flour

1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1 teaspoon each cinnamon and ginger

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 cup molasses

1/2 cup oil

1 cup hot water

Cream Cheese Frosting (recipe follows)

In 8 or 9inch square pan with fork, mix well f1our, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and salt. Add molasses, oil and water. With fork thoroughly blend all ingredients. Bake in preheated 350 oven 35 to 40 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan. Cool in pan on rack. Spread with frosting. Makes 9 servings.

CREAM-CHEESE FROSTING

1 package (3 ounces) cream cheese, softened

1 teaspoon vanilla

With wooden spoon, cream cheese. Gradually blend in sugar; stir in vanilla.

LEMON SQUARES

1-1/2 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

2 eggs, slightly beaten

1/2 cup milk

1/3 cup oil

2 teaspoons grated lemon peel

Lemon Syrup (recipe follows)

In 8 or 9 inch square pan with fork, mix well flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Add eggs, milk, oil and peel; mix well. Bake in preheated 350 oven 30 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Remove from oven; pour syrup over top. Return to oven; bake 5 minutes. Baste top with any syrup that collects around edges. Cool in pan on rack. Makes 9 servings.

LEMON SYRUP

2/3 cup sugar

3 tablespoons lemon juice

Mix well sugar and lemon juice.

MEXICAN CHOCOLATE CAKE

1-1/4 cups flour

1 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

3 tablespoons cocoa

1 teaspoon each baking soda and cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/3 cup oil

1 tablespoon vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla

1 cup cold water

Chocolate Glaze (recipe follows)

In 8 or 9inch square pan with fork, mix well f1our, sugar, cornstarch, cocoa, baking soda, cinnamon and salt. Add oil, vinegar, vanilla and water. Mix with fork until thoroughly blended. Bake in preheated 350 oven 30 to 35 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack. Pour on glaze; let set. Makes 9 servings.

CHOCOLATE GLAZE

2 tablespoons cocoa

1tablespoon each oil and com syrup

2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon water

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1 cup confectioners sugar

In small saucepan combine cocoa, oil, corn syrup, water and cinnamon. Stir over low heat until smooth. Gradually beat in sugar until smooth and shiny.

SPICE CAKE

1-1/4 cups flour

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon each baking soda, allspice, and cinnamon

1/2 teaspoon each ground cloves and salt

1/3 cup oil

1 tablespoon vinegar

1 cup water

Caramel Frosting (recipe follows)

In 8 or 9inch square pan with fork, mix well f1our, sugar, cornstarch, baking soda, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and salt. Add oil, vinegar and water. Mix briskly with fork until thoroughly blended. Bake in pre-heated 350 oven 30 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on rack. Spread with frosting.

CARAMEL FROSTING

1/4 cup butter or margarine

1/2 cup packed brown sugar

2 tablespoons milk

3/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons confectioners sugar

In small saucepan melt butter; add brown sugar, Stir over low heat 2 minutes. Add milk; bring to boil. Remove from heat; cool. Slowly beat in confectioners' sugar until smooth and of spreading consistency.

BANANA CAKE

1-1/4 cups flour 2/3 cup sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup mashed ripe bananas (mash until smooth and creamy)

1/3 cup oil

1 egg, slightly beaten

1 tablespoon vinegar

1 teaspoon vanilla

Lemon Frosting (recipe follows)

In 8 or 9 inch square pan with fork, mix well flour, sugar, cornstarch, baking soda, and salt. Add remaining ingredients except frosting. With fork, mix until thoroughly blended. Bake in preheated 350 oven 30 to 35 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean and cake pulls away from sides of pan. Cool in pan on rack. Spread with frosting. Makes 9 servings.

LEMON FROSTING

1/3 cup butter or margarine, softened

1 tablespoon lemon juice

With fork, mix butter and sugar until thoroughly blended. Add 1emon juice; beat until smooth and of spreading consistency.

Comments (29)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor