SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gardenguru1950

Babyback Ribs

gardenguru1950
17 years ago

I know there's a gazillion ways to make babyback ribs. I'd like to hear how y'all do it.

Here's how I do it (for the upteenth time, just last night)...

I simmer the ribs in a tall stockpot of water with stalks of celery, a quartered onion, and a big glob of cajun seasoning. It's a very low simmer (almost crockpot heat) for two hours.

Without allowing them to cool off, I throw them onto a hot grill, give them enough heat to add some crispiness to the edges, and then slosh them with a good glaze of bbq sauce.

I turn the heat down and I slosh one side that's been crisped while the other side is getting crispy. Then I turn it and slosh the other side. When the first sloshed side has the sauce heated, I turn it and heat the other side.

My fav bbq sauce is now KC Masterpieces original mixed with hot pepper-apricot sauce. Yes -- this is not a "from scratch" recipe for sauce but I haven't seen a true "from scratch" recipe in a long time. All the recipes I see for bbq sauce include catsup, worchestershire, mustard, liquid smoke and/or all manner of already-processed stuff. I even saw a recipe that included cola.

I don't put the sauce on too heavy (makes a mess on the bbq grill). But I warm up the unused sauce and put it in a bowl on the table.

I do like my ribs falling-off-the-bone tender and I don't like too much sauce.

My fiance likes her rib meat a little chewiwer (some day I'll indulge her) and she LOVES sauce (she dips each rib into the bowl of sauce).

And your ribs style?

Joe

Comments (75)