Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spiral Cut Ham - Drying Out

Posted by kaelkriver (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 08 at 14:31

Happy Easter All,

I'm trying a grocery store sprial cut ham for the first time. From what I've read one needs to be careful that they don't dry out. Any hints on how to bake this so that doesn't happen? I appreciate the help.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spiral Cut Ham - Drying Out

Cover it tightly and closely with foil and only cook long enough to heat through...like maybe for ab hour at 350.
Linda C

o

Thank you Linda for your prompt response.

o

1 (15.25 ounce) can sliced pineapple, drained with juice reserved
1 (4 ounce) jar maraschino cherries, drained
1 cup brown sugar

put the slices on the ham, marinade with the remainder at interval. Imparts flavor much like a ham company ham.

o

Double check the cooking directions on the wrapper to see what they say about heating it.

If its like one you buy at the Honey Baked Store, you are not supposed to heat it...let it come to room temperature before serving.

ML

o

Not to be argumentative...but I would never bake a ham at anything above 325 degrees F.

sm

o

With a pre cooked and pre carved ham, you are not cooking it you are just warming it....and the less time it spends in the oven the better it will be.

o

Granted. And the lower the temp, the better.

sm

o

325 degrees at 10-12 minutes per pound, covered, with a small amount of liquid in the pan bottom. My DH was a food distributor for many years and these are the instructions he gave. I've made many spiral hams and at 325 none have ever dried out. A friend always warms hers at 350 (her mother's instructions), and it's always on the dry side.

o

what about convection?

does it help or hurt the ham? (I'm still figuring out my ovens 2 years later!)

300 on convection? or should I go with convection bake? or 325 at straight bake?

anyone know??

Thanks

Nancy

o

Just a follow up to say thanks for the input and to share with you what I finally ended up doing. I pre-heated the oven to 250, I put the ham (cut side down) in a cooking bag and added 2 tablespoons of orange juice. I also made a small amount of glaze consisting of brown sugar that was mixed with yellow mustard and a little orange juice. I drizzled this over the ham and closed the bag. This was an 8 1/2# ham and I baked it for 1 hour and 20 minutes. I then let it rest for 15 and served. It turned out great and I had very little mess.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here