SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
gellchom

making matzo balls ahead -- how to store?

gellchom
14 years ago

I've made thousands of matzo balls over the years; you'd think I'd know the answer to this myself, but I feel uncertain.

I have about 20 coming for first seder Monday night (only 8 second night), so I'll need about 60 matzo balls. I have to go away overnight this weekend, %#@!!, getting back around 4 pm Sunday (and then all the out of towners start arriving), so I am trying to do even more than usual in advance this year to minimize the number of things I'll have to cook Sunday night and Monday.

I want to make the matzo balls before I leave. I can make them Thursday or Friday. Should I then:

- leave them in a bowl of water in the fridge

- leave them in a ziploc, no water, in the fridge

- freeze them on pans, then put into bags, then thaw before reheating and serving in the soup

- freezer them on pans, put into bags, and put frozen into the hot soup/another pot of hot water for 1/2 hour Monday

I googled around and found what sounded like an authoritative source recommending the last choice. But I am afraid we will be worried that the balls will still be ice cold in the middles.

Probably it doesn't matter that much; with any of these choices, at worst there will be a small diminution in quality, and with all the complications this year, so what? But I would like to hear your advice and experiences.

So tell me: which of these methods, or what other method, would you use? Is your answer different depending whether I make them Thursday or Friday?

Comments (16)