Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Guess what I'm making tonight?

Meat loaf?
Ooh, this is so hard.

Sol :)

o

Yum! I'm just making pancakes and ham, for pancake Tuesday!

o

Sweet, sweet love?

o

I was guessing something for Mardi Gras.

dcarch

o

jasdip-

Great minds..... We're having pancakes and ham, too. Same reason.

BTW - Olney, England won the 65th Shrove Tuesday pancake race with Liberal, Kansas today. The Wichita Eagle (newspaper) reported "the Liberal street crews were out Monday night removing about 2 inches of snow from the ground in preparation for the race."

Liberal, Kansas - 36 wins
Olney, England - 28 wins

-Grainlady

o

mardi gras??? This is Buffalo, NY, LOL

I'm surprised my DD didn't ask for pancakes!

Love, yeah, but that's after dinner ; )

grainlady, I have no idea what you are talking about but thats OK!

You have all been so nice to play along. I hope you all read the attached article so you know the background

Followed the recipe on Franks hot sauce (a Buffalo original) which calls for you to bake the wings at 500 degrees for 20 min. Then mixed hot sauce and melted butter. I did more butter than hot sauce as its a little hot for me and I had 4 lbs of wings.

photo 6bdf93da-3677-45b6-8839-0eaaf9cb1b59_zpsd691679b.jpg

Wings ready to be eaten.

photo 011_zps5438ae76.jpg

Of course we needed pizza to go along with the wings. I use Bobby Frays pizza dough recipe and it is fantastic!

photo 010_zpsadeaa173.jpg

Dinner was wonderful! No vegetables in sight! Unless you count the sauce : )

o

Is it too late for me to come to dinner Debra? You're making me hungry!!!

o

My DD invited one friend over and I said OK but then she wanted another and I had to say NO! There will not be enough for everyone.

jasdip, there is only a few wings left so you better get here quick!

o

debrak, I guessed "chicken riggies" before opening the thread. lol!

I haven't had hot wings & pizza since the holidays... They are required eating whenever my sister and her family are back in the area.

and sauce is definitely a vegetable!!! :O)

o

FYI-

Shrove Tuesday (the Tuesday before Ash Wednesday) is a day where traditionally pancakes are served. I thought there might be more pancake takers for the "Guess what I'm making tonight".

Shrove Tuesday has also been dubbed "pancake day" and there are lots of pancake feeds by groups and pancake related restaurant events giving away free pancakes and you donate money for a good cause. There are also pancake races held, and the race between Olney, England and Liberal, KS for the last 65-years usually makes the nightly news.

Anyway, the Wikipedia link below gives more information about why the pancakes, and the pancake races on Shrove Tuesday.

-Grainlady

Here is a link that might be useful: Shrove Tuesday

o

I love buffalo chicken wings and have been making them (versus going to a restaurant) because of this easy and effective recipe I found on Pintrest:

Crispy Baked Chicken Wings

1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Heat up a big pot of boiling water. Season the water like you would for cooking pasta (taste the water, it should taste a little repulsively salty, like sea water).
3. Boil the chicken wings for 7-8 minutes, then remove them to a wire rack so the excess water can drain off. Let them drip dry a little bit, then dry them well with a paper towel.
4. Spray baking sheet. Place the chicken wings directly on a sheet pan. Bake the chicken wings for 25-30 minutes on one side, then flip the wings and bake for another 5 minutes on the other side. The wings should have crispy crackly golden skin on the side that was in contact with the sheet pan.
5. Toss the hot wings in the Buffalo Wing sauce, and serve immediately. Gobble them up while they're still crisp, and coated with sauce.

Notes:
Updated note about cooking time: Chicken wings sold in grocery stores vary in size, so if you have smaller wings, you will probably only need to bake them for a total of 25-30 minutes. I've always done around 40 for mine, but they've been large wings.

o

I have no idea what anyone is talking about. Pancakes and wings?

I'm making shrimp-on-a-squishy tonight.

o

I never heard of the pancake thing. Thanks for posting the link.

We do infact celebrate "fat tuesday" with paczkis (pronounced poonch-key). Attached is a link to explain these doughnuts.

I had to google "shrimp on a squishy" but I'm still lost on that one. Not a shrimp eater so that my be the issue, LOL.

Chicken riggies? Never heard of them until now and they are from Utica NY which is not that far away. Googled it and now need to get a recipe to try.

Isn't this fun learning about regional foods and food holidays???!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Paczkis

o

Yes, what is "a squishy"? Shrimp is a regular here, but it's usually a scampi prep, fried, or over cheesy grits.

o

Debrak, Now I have a craving for wings.

I wasn't familiar with Paczkis until earlier this week. Saved a recipe that I found on the blog Brown Eyed Baker.

These look so good, I might make them this week.

Here is a link that might be useful: Paczkis recipe.

o

My wife made Italian crustoli for Mardi Gras. First she makes chicken with red bell pepers and assorted sides; then gives me the crustoli. She ends the meal by acting astonished that I have gained some weight. Duh!

o

I made a seafood chowder FatTuesday. Base was lobster stock and squash puree, topped with a confetti of sweet corn, red pepper, sweet peas and herbs for festive color.
Cod, arctic char, bay scallops, shrimp...

Now i want a 'squishy' after having just a few shrimp in the chowder. A squishy is similar to a lobster roll. It is a brioch style egg roll, i think. I have some dough from Sundays bread baking that has worked well for rolls in the past.
It did used to come up in a google search a few years ago. A well known bakery/sandwich place in the Hamptons i believe coined it. Very light and thin with a sturdy soft brown crust. It was my favorite lunch during a summer work project.
I make a small shrimp stock with the shells and tails in just a 1/2 cup water, smashing them over med high heat. Strain the stock, add a pat of butter, a small leek, a scallion, a small shallot, a heart stalk of celery with the leaves, All chopped fine, and saute, then add shrimp. Cool slightly off heat and chop the shrimp. Add parsley, fresh lemon and some spice and a tbsp greek yogurt.
Really just a good shrimp salad served warm.
(the bakery is Breadzilla in Wainscott, NY)

o

Debrak It looks so good I wish I had some.

Makayla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here