Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cooking with "real" rice.

Posted by mudlady (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 21, 14 at 14:24

I am used to making my mother's recipe for a quick chicken dinner. Place chicken parts in a baking dish, add chicken broth, garlic, celery, carrots and seasoning. Cover and bake at 350 for 1 hour, 15 minutes. Serve with cooked Minute rice. I have a nice, new small enamel clad cast iron pot and I want to cook this dish in it. I would like to add basmati rice into the mix before cooking and make sure there is plenty of liquid and some butter. If I set the oven to 350, how long should I cook, with rice included and covered with the cast iron pot top? I suppose if the meat and vegetables are done before the rice, I can always remove them to a plate and continue cooking the rice, but I would like it all to finish together. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cooking with "real" rice.

I do Nita's recipe with chicken sometimes. Comes out perfect every time. I do add about half an additional can of tomatoes, because DH loves them.

From Nita AZ

Party Bake Pork Chops
Betty Crocker New Dinner For Two Cookbook copyright 1964

4 lean pork chops, 1" thick
4 thin slices onion
1/4 cup uncooked rice (not instant)
1 can (1 lb. 13 oz.) tomatoes
1/2 to 1 tsp. salt
pepper

Trim any excess fat from chops. Season chops well on both sides with salt and pepper. Brown on both sides in lightly greased hot skillet. Top each chop with a slice of onion, 1 tbsp rice, and cover with whole (From Ang ~ I crush them through my fingers as adding) tomatoes. Add any remaining tomatoes and juice to skillet. Cover tightly; simmer over low heat or bake in foil covered baking dish at 350 degrees for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
4 servings.

o

I make a dish using pork chops on rice that's mixed with chicken broth. It's baked in the oven, covered.

I'd say an hour is good for your dish.

o

I would soak the rice in an equal amount of water for about 10 minutes (longer, if you prefer), and then add the soaked rice and soaking water to the cooking dish first. There is probably enough extra liquid in the dish for the rice to cook. When I cook rice in a pressure cooker, I use one and a half parts water to one part of rice, if I add vegetables. You can check your dish half way through to see if you need more water or stock.

You didn't say how much rice or stock you were using.

Lars

o

I think the rice would more likely be done before the meat and vegetables.

I make Arroz con Pollo (chicken and rice) with "real" rice, I don't care for the Minute stuff, and it's baked for about half an hour if I brown the chicken before, an hour if I don't.

So, I think an hour would be plenty, and I'd check a couple of times to see if the rice needed more liquid, as you do not say how much rice and how much broth you use.

Annie

o

Annie reminded me that I do chipotle chicken and rice in a dutch oven on the stove. It takes about 1/2 hour.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here