Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fryer vs broiler vs roaster....

Posted by foodonastump (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 12, 09 at 14:21

Is there any difference, aside from size?

I'm interested in trying the Roasted Sticky Chicken that Teresa posted in the linked thread, and as I often see elsewhere, it calls for a 3 pound chicken. Down in the thread someone asks if it should be a roaster or a fryer. What's the difference? And where are people finding these 3 pound chickens - I'm lucky if I can find a fryer under 5 pounds!

Here is a link that might be useful: Roasted Sticky Chicken

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fryer vs broiler vs roaster....

I think it's just the size/age of the bird. Most roasters are over 5 lbs, however I usually roast a fryer (they're smaller, usually with less fat). Don't know what a "broiler" is. I stew, fry, broil or roast both roasters and fryers.

o

No difference but size....which of course depends on age. Broiler/fryer (used interchangeable) is a little, young chicken only about 10 weeks old and weiging about 3 pounds. A roaster is the big bird.
Linda C

o

All I know is don't use a hen! One of my most memorable cooking fiascos was when I used a hen that I cut up to bake in an oven recipe. It was like trying to cut a car tire. This was 30 years ago when we were recently married but we still remember it and thank goodness we didn't have company over for dinner!

Grace

o

I did something similar 15 years ago, Grace. The car tire analogy is correct!

o

It's called a "stewing hen" for good reason! Lots of flavor, little tenderness, but for when it's cooked long enough. Then it becomes edible...cook it a looooong time.
and remember, with a stewing hen, it's all about the broth.
Linda C

o

I've always read that fryers (younger birds) should be under 4 lb. for tenderness. But I find it difficult to find packaged cut-up fryers that size; most are well over 4 lb. Maybe another example of the super-sizing that's all around us?

o

Your question made me think of this video clip... pity I can't find the whole episode online...

o

Just love her!!!!I miss Julia!!
I have a "source" ( chicken raising friend) who raises organic free range chickens.....and I have a 12 week old almost 6 pound chicken in my freezer.
It's not all about age, it's about breed of chicken.
This bird will have amazing flavor, be very very tender, have a moderate amount of fat and be all around amazing....AND very expensive! Her sister was very flavorful and tender....but was roasted about 6 hours after she was pecking bugs in the field
I pay about $1.80 or so for chicken in the store. Last week one store had a special of whole chickens for $.69 a pound.
the free range are about $4 a pound. Great for a special occasion, but too much for me for every day.
Linda C

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here