Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cake Icing Question

Posted by suellen45 (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 9, 12 at 14:13

I am planing a white, sheet cake with lemon cream cheese
icing.

Is it a good idea to coat the cake with preserves before icing?

Sue Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cake Icing Question

Not sure why you're questioning it. Do you mean is it a problem to put preserves on first? It's really a matter of taste and what you want. It's fine to put on the preserves first if you want. Fine to ice with the lemon cream cheese icing without the preserves. Strictly up to you. Sounds great though. We are on a lemon kick lately.

o

If you spread preserves on top of a sheet cake, then try to spread on cream cheese frosting, it won't stick very well. I prefer to use preserves as a filling between layers of the cake and frosting on the top and sides.

o

I agree with Linda. You will have problems frosting the cake if you put the preserves down first. Put the preserves inside the layers or use it on top of the cream cheese icing after frosting the cake top. NancyLouise

o

Nope, I disagree. It's quite common to coat cake layers with preserves and then frost. You're not slathering on the preserves. You heat them to thin and then brush on, preferably using a silicone brush. You then wait for a bit for it to dry or put in the fridge for a few to firm/dry. Then you put on your room temp icing.

o

I think everyone is right, LOL. As coconut says, it's very common to coat layers with a thin coat of melted preserves, let it dry and then frost the cake. It's not anywhere near as thick as a layer of filling, though.

So, if you just want a "glaze" of melted preserves, that's fine and it adds a nice extra to the cake. If you want a thicker layer, though, put it inside the cake layers and then frost.

Annie

o

Annie,

Your response: "and it adds a nice extra to the cake".

Is what I was wondering about, ie is the process worthwile.

Sue Ellen

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here