SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
michaelmaxp

Ebinger's Blackout Cake

michaelmaxp
14 years ago

Having been married to a Brooklyn girl for over 30 years, I've been hearing about the mythical Blackout Cake from

Ebinger's every time chocolate cake enters a discussion.

From what I have been able to deduce, all chocolate cakes seem to be measured against Ebinger's by anybody that had the pleasure to eat the real thing prior to there bankrupsty and closure in 1972. People have been trying to duplicate that hidden recipe since it went out of business.

This year, for her birthday, Suzanne produced a recipe that is claimed to be as close to the original as any that have surfaced over the years. This recipe was published in Cooks Country magazine about a year ago.

Here's the recipe. In case that's not enough to get your juices flowing, I took some pictures this morning. The link below will take you to them.

By the way, this recipe uses 8 inch round pans. i couldn't find mine so I made a 1 and a 1/2 size batch of cake batter and used 9 inch pans. It was a good decision. I used a single batch of filling/frosting and that worked out well for two thick layes and a decent outside coating. Because cake crumbs surround the finished cake, your frosting technique does not have to be bakery quality to produce a jaw dropping result.

Ebinger's Blackout Cake

Pudding (filling/frosting):

2 cups of half and half

1 cup milk

1 + 1/4 cups sugar

6 ounces unsweetened chocolate

1/4 cup cornstarch

2 teaspoons vanilla

Dash of salt

In a small saucepan, whisk together the half and half, milk, sugar, cornstarch, and salt

Add the chocolate and whisk constantly over medium heat for about 20 minutes, until the chocolate melts and the mixture starts to bubble

Stir in vanilla and transfer pudding to a bowl

Place plastic wrap directly on the surface of the pudding to avoid creating a skin, and let chill for at least four hours until cold

Cake:

2 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour

1 cup brewed coffee, at room temperature

1 cup buttermilk

1 cup white sugar

1 cup light brown sugar

1 stick of butter

3/4 cups cocoa powder

2 teaspoons baking powder

1 teaspoon vanilla

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

Dash of salt

Preheat oven to 325, and prepare two 8-inch cake pans with parchment

In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt

Melt the butter in a saucepan. add cocoa and stir 1 minute, then take off heat

Whisk in coffee, buttermilk and sugars to the saucepan

Whisk in eggs and vanilla

In 3 additions, add flour mixture to saucepan

Bake 30-35 minutes

To Assemble Cake:

Let each cake cool completely, then cut each cake in half horizontally

Take one layer of cake and crumble it into cake crumbs (leaving you with 3 cake layers)

Frost your cake with the pudding, then press the cake crumbs all over the outside of the cake

Be prepared for massive nostalgia!

Enjoy!

michaelp

Here is a link that might be useful: Blackout Cake

Comments (19)

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations