Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Another St. Pat's Day Meal

Posted by dcarch (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 13:49

St. Patrick's Day is not a holiday, so there was no time to make anything elaborate.

Cheap $1.79 a lb store corned beef, soaked overnight to remove all salt and nitride, bagged it with nice seasoning and sous vided at 144F for 48 hours. So tender and delicious juicy beef, flavorful and not salty because it was marinated in seasonings while cooking for 48 hours. I am glad that I bought 4 slabs at $1.79 a lb. Plenty to enjoy this year.

Cabbage, simmered in some corned beef juicy, not too bad.

Found some giant 14" long carrots. Cut some deep slits for better flavor infusion, and sauteed in corned beef fat. You should try corned beef fat. Better than bacon fat.

Corned beef fat crispy crackling powder sprinkles on the dish for garnish.

I am sure you all had a great St. Pat's Day, Irish or not.

dcarch

photo Stpats2014_zpsc198d97c.jpg

photo StPats2014_zpsc93171af.jpg

This post was edited by dcarch on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 19:39

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Another St. Pat's Day Meal

Nice looking corned beef dinner DC. Your pictures almost makes me wish I liked carrots. I said almost. Look at those perfect slices of corned beef.

~Ann

o

LOL Anne, and carrots.
DC, that's a great looking meal!

o

• Posted by arley 7b/8a SC (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 20:46

dcarch, heretofore I have pressure cooked my corned beef, but this looks fantastic. I'll have to try doing it that way now that (thanks to guidance by you, foas et al) I now have a sous vide setup.

Okay, in honor of the holiday, and once you're tired of second rate tenors botching 'Danny Boy', here's a non-insulting Irish joke, and a groaner of a pun:

Q. What's Irish and stays outside all summer?

A. Paddy O'Furniture.

Now, if any of you have only heard schlocky versions of 'Danny Boy' and need to hear how powerful that song can be, listen to the Aussie Judith Durham (lead singer of the sixties group, The Seekers--you know, 'Georgy Girl', 'World of our own', etc)--I don't know if it's ever been done better, even by legendary singers like John McCormack.

I can't listen to the second verse without choking up.

Here is a link that might be useful: Judith Durham--Danny Boy

This post was edited by arley on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 20:54

o

I have said, using sous vide, I had tested a 5% less corned beef shrinkage, that is why it's more juicy.

Speaking of Danny Boy. It is a hobby of mine to search and collect popular English song which has a French version.

For instance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLBgIgjuqJU

dcarch

Here is a link that might be useful: Danny Boy

o

Beautiful plating ! I love corned beef and cabbage and potatoes...haven't made it in years and years. I used to always use a corned beef round...very very lean and use a pressure cooker. It was always moist. This was in the 70's though and meat was different then.

I wish I had your set up for the slow cooking. My son has had it in the one kitchen he was using when in VA. He didn't use it much though . Now all he does is the meat curing. He is doing a "stage" in Charleston SC at the moment for 4 days. c

o

Ann_t, thanks. You said you don't like carrots, but you didn't say you dislike them. So there is hope.

Jasdip, thanks. Just typical traditional ingredients for a corned beef meal.

Trailrunner, Thanks. I visit a few other forums. There is so much interest recently in sous vide cooking with several sous vide cookers at around $200. There must be at least 10 who I know of went and bought SV cookers, and they are not even typical home cooks. They are grillers and smokers.

dcarch

o

It does look enticing even though I don't like corned beef and cabbage...so save the carrots for me.

*I'll make this short,,,the HG doesn't know how to boil water so for one birthday I asked for him to cook dinner from scratch. When I told him steak on the grill, baked potatoes in the MW, and cut up lettuce did not count he was thrown. So he took the day off to accomplish this feat...I mean fest. Although it was corned beef, it was a birthday present I will never forget.

o

DC I was being polite. I usually say I dislike them immensely because that sounds nicer than saying " I hate".

I can eat them raw. Just not cooked. Regardless of how they are prepared.

~Ann

o

"----I can eat them raw. Just not cooked. Regardless of how they are prepared.---"

How about Tempura? :-)

dcarch

o

OK, so Ann T can have my share of corned beef and I'll eat the carrots and potatoes, and I love cabbage. I'm just not wild about the corned beef...

Cathy, I guess it's the thought that counts. Right? (grin)

Annie

o

Pretty. I didn't know you could soak all the junk out of storebought corned beef. Still....we're pretty happy with our costco brisket and Ruhlman's pickling mix.

I'm with Ann on the cooked carrots...ick. I always munch a raw carrot when I'm prepping them for corned beef and cabbage or pot roast.

o

No, not tempura. If tempura comes with carrots they get passed over to Moe.

Not even glazed with honey or maple syrup.

~Ann

o

"----Not even glazed with honey or maple syrup.---"

But for sure no one can resist this:

http://practicallyorganicgirl.com/Portals/organic/Gallery/Album/45/IMG_4901.JPG

dcarch LOL!

Here is a link that might be useful: Things go better with ----------

o

Eeewwww..... talk about ruining perfectly good bacon.

~Ann

o

"----Eeewwww..... talk about ruining perfectly good bacon.--"

I give up.

I hope some day you will get to the roots (pun!) of your Daucus carotaphobia.

dcarch :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here