SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
christy2828

Help, what squash did I eat?

christy2828
12 years ago

My husband took me to dinner on Saturday night, up in Norfolk, VA (it's over an hour north of us!). The menu said Roasted Acorn Squash. I tried to substitute for asparagus, but they said no substitutions. I've never had acorn squash, and before yesterday couldn't have told you what it looked like - sad, I know!!! Well, I loved it. It was delicious!!!! It was sweet and buttery, tasted like it had the starchiness of a potato but the sweet of a sweet potato. So I went grocery shopping yesterday and decided I was going to make it at home. Found the acorn squash which was green. Hmm...I thought the skin was orange. Bought three and went home to look up a recipe. Almost all called for brown sugar, but theirs did not look like it had brown in it. Found a recipe with honey and got started. It said to cut it in half and scoop out the seeds. Again, did not look like what I had? Most recipe pictures cut the squash lengthwise, mine was not. I didn't look underneath it to see if there was a stem, but there certainly wasn't one on the sides. Also, it looked like a potato would cut in half, there was no vacant area where seeds once were. It wasn't "twice baked" either. I don't know how they got the butter and sugar to melt into the squash. It sorta looked like the top of a spaghetti squash cut off and standing up, but it wasn't stringy on the inside. The acorn squash I did make last night was very similar - but the butter and honey stood in the middle and the outer parts of the squash didn't really absorb much of the flavor. Their's had flavor throughout, and again, it wasn't just melted butter and honey in a hole. I really wish I had taken a picture!!!! Thanks for any thoughts!!! Christy :)

Comments (15)