SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fishymom

Help with low sodium cooking

fishymom
10 years ago

We recently finished a kitchen renovation and after months of prepared meals and eating out, I am enjoying cooking for my family again. Our youngest is a junior in college, so only home for breaks and summer and our oldest lives 800 miles away, but visits regularly. So for the most part, it is just the two of us.

My husband is a Type II Diabetic and very sensitive to salty taste, which seems to have increased drastically in the past few months. I always cut the salt in recipes by at least half and never add additional salt to his food before serving, but he is still complaining that foods are too salty. When the kids were home last week, both complained there was not enough salt, and added a bit to their meals after it was plated. We never had salt on the table when they were growing up, so adding salt is not the norm for them. Another factor is my husband rarely complains about saltiness in restaurant or prepared foods, which I know are much higher in sodium than the foods I prepare at home. How are they hiding the saltiness?

I have tried store bought no-salt seasoning mixes in the past, with lackluster results. I do use low sodium, organic broths and Tamari. I am trying hard to come up with some low sodium, flavorful dishes, but it is so frustrating to prepare a nice meal that my husband doesn't eat because it tastes too salty to him!. Does anyone have tried and true no salt seasoning mixes or any other suggestions, I am getting desperate!

Comments (8)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES