Return to the Cooking Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Reheating a Pot Pie?

Posted by velodoug (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 20, 08 at 13:28

One of my major frustrations in the kitchen is that I haven't found a satisfactory way to reheat a pot pie. A tuna casserole or mac and cheese is easy in the microwave because I can take it out and stir it a couple of times as it heats. I don't like doing that with a pot pie because even though it's only half a pie at this point the crust is still fairly attractive. I've tried putting it in the oven at 325 but by the time it's hot in the middle it's getting crunchy around the edges. And ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Reheating a Pot Pie?

Try heating the oven to 300 degrees, put the pot pie in for 10-15 minutes and then place foil over the crust so it doesn't get too crispy and finish reheating. Gina

o

I reheat covered in a 300 oven and then turn up the oven to 375 and when the oven gets hot, put it back to crisp the crust.
Linda C

o

If you have convection reheating potpies, pizza, calzones, etc. is a snap. Set to convection 375 degrees...you'll hardly even know it's been reheated...tastes like fresh-made. No need to cover.

/tricia

o

I found the same issue with a traditional full crust pot pie. Nothing seemed to work well.

Several years ago I took to using a puff pastry top and no bottom crust for pot pies. Now it's a breeze to reheat and perfect every time, good as fresh baked. I lift off the top crust and place it on a parchment lined cookie tray to warm in a 350 oven. Meanwhile I reheat the filling in the microwave, stirring as required.

o

For reheating something in the microwave without stirring, I've found that the lower power settings work well - that gives more time for the heat to equalize without overheating. One still might want to finish with a little time in the oven to crisp.

o

I preheated the oven to 300, covered the pie with foil, put it in the oven and set the timer for 20 minutes. After the 20 minutes I removed the foil and turned the oven up to 375 without removing the pie. After another 10 minutes I shut off the oven but left the pie inside with the door shut while I quick sauted some fresh asparagus. The asparagus took about 10 minutes. When the asparagus was done I took out the pie and served them together. The pie was thoroughly heated and the crust was, if anything, even better than the first day. Thanks for getting me thinking about heating in stages and using the foil!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Cooking Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here